“Great LOCATION, Clean ROOM, Good PRICE.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Hyde Park Rooms Hotel
Ranked #245 of 557 London B&B and Inns
Geneva, Switzerland
“Great LOCATION, Clean ROOM, Good PRICE.”
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I'm perplexed in rating this B&B.
I booked this place it costed £160 for 2 nights. (Approx. CHF100 per night) for a room with shared bathroom.
I was by myself and I know being in LON and right smack in the shopping district, I won't be spending that much time in the room nor the bathroom.

Firstly, I took a taxi there from Ibis LONDON City and it costed me £36! It was 4 pm and why traffic why! I just couldn't bear taking the super inconvenient tube with never ending flights of stairs. NO WAY. (I had luggageS)

We had a hard time finding this place, I arrived at the Cumberland Tower reception and the security was like "This is not the reception, the lady working for the hotel is coming). She passed by a few minutes later with some other guests. I had to insist for her to take me to my room asap as the taxi meter was running, there was some miscommunication between us and it's just (--).

She is one overworked Romanian girl. She running back and forth juggling all these check-ins and what nots, I feel bad for her. I hope she is paid enough for her job.

I think this Hyde Park Rooms Hotel is comprising of several buildings as she checks in guests here and there in the nearby buildings.
I think she does the housekeeping as well?

My room was a brightly lit one, thank God for the Romanian guy who just arrived a couple months ago and does not speak English much (only Romanian or Spanish) +_+!
It's funny how he made me complete a questionnaire right AFTER check in.
How can I rate before even sleeping on the bed or checking out the rest of the place?
Judging form the many bad reviews I read online, I think the management forced the employees to do this. Clearly, this is NOT the right way.

The room is very clean (surprisingly) and the guy showed me the bathroom and toilet.
He explained that the toilet flush is not working too well and that I had too press down twice.
The bathroom and toilet were furnished with many mismatched tiles. I think they just pick up leftover tiles form other constructions?

I heard some Francophonies in the other rooms, I think they are French girls.
After using the shower room thrice in 2 days, I think either I'm the only one using the shower room or they have super efficient cleaning people cleaning the bathrooms after every use!
Thank God it was not a nightmare sharing bathrooms and toilets!

Marble Arch tube station is literally 5-7 mins walk away.
Nearby the hotel (not sure if this place can be called a hotel...) you will find several eateries, shops and even spa center/massage/beauty salon (YIPPEEE!)

Tesco is also a stone's throw away, during my last night, I stumbled upon the "Arab Street" of LON! 4 mins walk away! How wonderful!
Money exchange rate at the "Arab Street" here is also better!

WIFI is available at an additional cost of £5/day. It was speedy. Thank GOD!

They provide luggage storage service and and on the day of departure, I was told that I had to pay £5 (I think) per luggage! I've not been to ANY B&B/ any star hotels that charges for luggage storage, per piece or not!

Frankly, to me, this is a no-star accommodation, they should not even have the word "hotel" in the name.

My whole experience here was a much perplexed one as I mentioned as there were the outrageous parts (as is most B&Bs in UK, there is NO LIFT!), there were some drunk girl who was having a very intense and emotional conversation with her boyfriend about how inconsiderate he is and all the crying.... GOD, at 1 am....or 2am? I was so knackered I fell asleep in the end...

There was also the nice part where the Romanian lady came back 30 mins later after check in to apologize for the miscommunication upon check in.
And the fact that they were very nice and helpful and waived off the "luggage storage fee" in the end.

I am considering to return all because of the LOCATION.
As my Prof. de Jong says, LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION.

And for clean room, good night rest, good internet connection and the GOOD price.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 29 September 2013

By daughter and I just spend 13 nights at the Hyde Park Rooms Hotel. First of all I did a lot of research on accommodation before arriving in London and I was horrified at how expensive it is. I was pleasantly surprised by the rates at this B&B which is located in a very central area in London, no more than 2 minutes walk from Paddington underground station, lots of restaurants and cafes and very close to the beautiful Hyde Park. It is located on a street that is full of similar hotels and B&B's, it is a very busy area full of tourists. The B&B is certainly nothing flash but it is clean and in a safe area and I was perfectly satisfied with our stay. We slept in a double room which was simply furnished but what more do you need other than a warm bed, a wardrobe for your belongings, a tv and a functioning shower. The room and bathroom are small, but then this is London and you could pay many times more at a more expensive hotel and still find yourself in a small room. Carole the owner is lovely, she was pleasant and helpful and always greeted guests warmly at the breakfast each more morning. The breakfast I found was very good, decent portions of eggs and bacon, baked beans, cereal, juice, toast and tea or coffee. Nothing fancy but good enough to set you up for a day exploring London and cooked on the spot to your liking (ie; fried eggs, omelette, etc). I will say that if you have huge suitcases you may have difficulties as there is no lift access on the stairs and quite narrow and steep towards the top floors. As this is not a purpose built hotel, there is no real soundproofing as such, expect to hear other guests opening and closing doors, going up and down the stairs, etc. Though I was aware of the noise other guests, it was not excessive and the B&B was fairly quiet and peaceful most of time considering that it is in such a busy area. If you are the sort of person who would really prefer to,spend their money actually seeing London rather than just paying for a place to shower and sleep, I would recommend the Hyde Park Rooms Hotel as a good option for somewhere clean, safe and very central to shops, restaurants and transport.

Room Tip: If you have large amounts of heavy luggage, perhaps ask for a room on a lower floor to avoid using t...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank KylesMac
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 6 June 2013

It is an economic and simple B&B. The treatment is correct, a bit coarse (with the exception of the children, who are much more attentive than their parents). For being London, the relation quality / price is suitable. The single room 9 is correct for one person, very simple but inside the acceptable; the shared bath should renew the shower. The rooms that have a window to the street have noise of cars day and night. The breakfast is complete, but every day is the same (egg, bacon, toasts, butter, jam and tea). The situation is good, it has the Paddington tube station 5 minutes walk, and several lines of bus to the side, including some in service 24 hours. Often there is nobody in the reception, even when you leave the suitcases the day of departure (people enter and go out without nobody controling it).

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank JaumeLi
New York City, New York
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Our stay at Hyde Park Rooms was perfectly satisfactory. It's not glamorous by any means, but If you're looking for a decent, no frills place to stay in pricey London- give them a try.

If you have expectations of an "American style" hotel you will inevitably be disappointed (as previous reviewers have been quite keen to point out). Yes, the rooms are basic and a bit old, but it was just fine for the relative price in the area. Also, it was a nice bonus to have a hot breakfast included (not common in Europe) which was good, without being gourmet. Mattresses are a bit old and weak, Wifi is spotty (better downstairs) but the owner Carole is quite a character, giving you a proper cockney London experience.

Room Tip: Rooms higher up have trouble getting Wifi.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stevojay86
Limassol, Cyprus
Reviewed 27 January 2013

Having booked this hotel in early December as there were not many other budget choices in Central London for New Years Eve, i read the many positive reviews and - even though i saw the photos and did not expect something wow - i expected something decent and okay! I was sooo wrong! The only positive thing about it was its location! Very central, close to everything, public transportation and many restaurants near buy, but other than that... NOTHING! First of all, it was a very, very smelly hotel! The whole hotel (corridors, stairs, reception area) would smell of the hot milk and bacon from the morning's breakfast, it was awful! The furniture were VERY old, there was no telephone in the room, no safe (therefore we had to lock and unlock our suitcases every time we needed money or something), and the shower water did not work properly, the water would just go everywhere! Another thing we didnt like, was that every time the cleaning lady would clean our room, she would turn off the heater! So whenever we got back to the hotel, we had to wait for 1.5 for the room to get hot! There was never noone at reception and the breakfast was relatively poor (i guess its okay regarding the price of the rooms but still could include one-two things extra to make it richer). The price we got included wi-fi, but wi-fi would only work in the breakfast area, never in our rooms! So whenever we wanted to check our emails, browse something, or check-in for the airline, we had to go sit at the stairs right where the breakfast area is (and deal with that AWFUL smell of hot water, disgusting!!!)! There was no sign outside the hotel (all the other hotel had big signs with the hotel's name), this hotel had nothing except a veeery small sign that you had to be close to it to read it, and the lights in the hotel were always turned off, alwayss even at late night! On the last day of our stay, we had to print our airline check-in and we asked whether we could do so there! They didnt even have a printer (had one but stopped working months ago)! I do not understand how this hotel counts as a hotel, will never go back, prefer to pay a few more money next time, anywhere else will be much more decent!

Room Tip: Dont! Book somewhere else!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank wastoroua1985
Italia
Reviewed 9 January 2013

This place was perfect for us.
The underground is nearby, the rooms are very very clean and the owner Carole is great!
Our room was big (it was for three but she gave us for two), with a little bathroom.
The english breakfast was delicious.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kore82
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 25 December 2012

Very affordable price for London and such a great location but somehow just seemed a little dodgy.
Not thrilled about being asked to pay in cash when I'd have preferred to pay with a credit card for the second night, like we did for the first when we reserved. Not a big deal though.
(Later, we wondered if this was intentional to keep dissatisfied guests from stopping payment on charges for the room.)
My husband and I like to imagine that we are super - flexible, not really demanding about stuff so we really didn't care that the room wasn't spotless, didn't care at all about the stairs that others seemed miffed by, weren't worried about the fact that the internet connection didn't work, didn't eat breakfast so no feedback there.
What got under our skins a bit was coming home early from a night out so that we could pack and plan for an early out the next morning to catch an international flight and the TV had been removed from our room. But even that wasn't the part that sticks with me. It was going downstairs to ask Carol about it and being told that she had taken the TV out of our room to put in another guest's room because she figured we'd be out enjoying London. Seem like there was some judgement in the comment as if we're a couple of losers who come to London to watch TV in our room. She offered no solution. We were annoyed to be put in a position to feel like we were being obnoxious because we thought it was crap to have amenities removed from the room we'd payed for and then feel like we had to explain ourselves as to why it might be nice to have had the TV. We were coming back through London for some days before we would return back to the States and would have sought to reserve here again but decided to pick another spot. It's too bad that we were kinda soured by the experience or we'd be repeat visitors for sure.
I will say that we asked for 10 pounds back as compensation for the second night with no TV and Carol agreed to refund that amount to our credit card. I doubted that she would follow through on this but she did.

Room Tip: We're going to try the Oxford Hotel in Earls Court on our way back through.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple