“Comfortable and good value”
Review of The Gallery Hotel

The Gallery Hotel
Ranked #774 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Comfortable and good value”
Reviewed 4 December 2013 via mobile

we stayed here for a weekend .The location is excellent.Right by the Natural History museum' the V and A and Hyde Park. The District and Circle and Picadilly line tubes are a couple of minutes away. The hotel itself a bit chintzy but comfortable.The room was small but we had a huge comfy bed. The shower was really fierce.The hair dryer was the but I have encountered in a hotel bathroom. Tea and coffee making facilities and a safe .Down stairs is a very comfortable lourge and small bar.There is a lift .Breakfast came as part of the price and was quite adequate with optional full Ehglish for an extra £5.We paid £105 per night for a double room, which Was good value for Central London.The only downside was the room was very hot and it was a little noisy with the window open.I will definitely stay there again.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 26 November 2013

The hotel is conveniently located around the corner from South Kensington Tube (Circle, District and Piccadilly serving Heathrow) and it is situated opposite the Gainsborough Hotel which is managed by the same organisation that describes itself as a 'luxury hotel' group. The truth is, there is nothing luxurious about it.

The room was reasonably priced as a small double room, but it wasn't small. It was tiny. There was enough space for the bed and for a dressing table and nothing more. Disappointingly there wasn't even a chair to sit on. There was also no mini-bar and the TV was an old cathrode ray tube. A flat-screen TV would have made the room feel slightly bigger.

The bed was uncomfortable and sadly, the detergent used did not agree with my skin.

The room was equipped with a stand-alone air conditioning unit which, during the winter, isn't much use. The heating function did not work which meant that it was basically a noisy ornament.

The breakfast the next morning was of an acceptable standard but I did have to wait 20 minutes before a member of staff decided to have a quick look in the breakfast room. Instead, various shrieks and cries were heard from the kitchen, lots of laughing and joking, but not much actual work being done. I ordered a full English and the portion was adequate but not at all generous.

All in all, I do not think I will stay in this property again.

Room Tip: Do not book a 'small double room'.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Pune, India
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Excellent location , antique look ,old fashioned furniture. Access to lot of public places courteous staff, only problem was breakfast option was not suitable for Indians , proximity to Central London stations ( tube) helps in commuting any part of London . Reasonable charges.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank NitinGujarathi
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 9 November 2013

The hotel is well located on a quiet street. The South Kensington tube, restaurants, pubs, and some key museums are a short walk from the hotel. Room was clean and quiet. Bathroom was nicely upgraded while the room was not. The breakfast was priced appropriately for what was offered.

The staff was not overly friendly and was only as helpful as required. Wi-Fi was not included and cost $40 for 5 days.

Room Tip: Several rooms are located on 1/2 floors and are not accessible by elevator. If you are adverse to c...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TravelingFatJack
Devon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

I'd like to sit here and write volumes - but to be honest, I can't be bothered. Sums up the whole experience. The slowest lift in the western world, the smallest room this side of Istanbul, an air conditioning unit that was straight from Mumbai, and an overall experience akin to being slobbered by a dog. Warm, damp, appealing but ultimately slightly unfulfilling. I slept, I left. That's it.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank CotswoldsSpotter
London
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Stayed at this Hotel for 2 nights in September 2013 for a business trip. Walked into reception and it looked very quaint and charming and I was looking forward to my stay. They had messed up my reservation and it was an extreme pain to sort it all out as the lady on reception didn't speak the best English and couldn't understand what I was trying to tell her. The booking was supposed to have been prepaid and I had evidence that it was but they wouldn't believe me. I decided to sort it out myself and fix their booking problem as I was getting nowhere at reception. Didn't make this too big an issue as things happen sometimes and I don't easily get stressed

Got to my room and realised I should have stayed elsewhere. I thought I would try a boutique hotel but this place gives them a bad name. I paid approx £300 for 2 nights room only but frankly having seen the room it was probably only worth £100 for 2 nights. I could have stayed at a holiday inn or another chain for the same rate but wanted to try something different. The rooms probably should have been redecorated several years back as the carpets were torn and stained badly, the wall paper peeling and marked, the television was damaged in many places and fixed with tape as well as the remote control. Furniture was broken. Generally a very shabby hotel for the price. Had the price been 50% cheaper I probably would have given it a higher rating as that us all it us worth at best. Some people have called this place quaint.... That must be a new meaning for poorly maintained!!

I am a regular business traveller and have spent approx 65 days in 2013 staying in over a dozen hotels and if I count back over the last 5 years I have stayed in close on 100 hotels. I've stated all over the world including some of the poorest areas of Africa and some in Asia and I've stayed in many local hotels as well as large chains and it is with huge regret that I have to say that this is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. I have to qualify this a little in that it is the condition of the hotel based on the price that makes me give it this rating.

If the owners put some effort into completely refurbishing this hotel it could be stunning. The location couldn't be better for the museums and there are lots of restaurants and bars within minutes so this is a real positive

This is the first time Ever that I have written a review but felt I had to based on the quality of this place. My company have paid for my stay here not myself but had I paid personally I would be really upset.

Suffice as to stay I will never stay here again. Come on owners, you're raking the money in, give your guests at least a satisfactory standard of hotel for the price

Room Tip: Don't have anything to say!!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank 398avik

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 17 August 2013

I usually can't afford a 'real' hotel in London and stay and B & Bs, or 'niche' hotels, which have provided a spotty experience over the years. This was a big improvement for me and I would return. They have invested a lot of room and decorating energy in the lobby but it is serene and charming and very English. Staff are uniformed and efficient, helpful. I laughed when I got to my 4th floor room because, as always, it was difficult to move around in it given its cramped size...it contained a wonderful comfortable and elegant bed (a good thing) but too much also-nice furniture (not so good) and we could hardly move. But it's London, and this is usually the case, I've found. Plumbing was antique but upgrades had been added and it all worked. The bathroom was large for England and well appointed with towels and items. Lots of closets! And an archaic, stand-on-the-floor air conditioner with an expandable hose taped to a window opening! At least it worked, and we were not TOO hot. The little 4-person lift was quick; our room was quiet; coffee and tea items were supplied but cleverly placed in a dresser drawer since there was no room on a surface! The old Phillips TV was a relic and we could not get it to work but it was probably not plugged in and we did not have the inclination to crawl under the furniture to wrassle with the English electrical system. The breakfast room in the basement was very lovely, filled with Monets on the walls, but breakfast was not included in our rate (7 GBPs for continental; 12 for hot). We had continental and it was very filling, very good. The desk staff helped us print our boarding passes, called us a cab, and stored our luggage until we were ready to take it. (Internet is also not free and we did not purchase any time there.) I would stay again, though...location was excellent, no more than 5 minutes from S. Kensington tube and an easy walk to Royal Albert Hall and the museums.

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor which had a bit of a sloped ceiling as we were near (at?) the top so I woul...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple