“A nice surprise”

Ranked #224 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Charlottesville, Virginia
“A nice surprise”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I arrived on the hottest day of the year to find myself in a small, narrow room with no AC! I actually stayed elsewhere the first two nights. However, once things cooled down and I kept the fan on high, I realized what a gem I had found. The location was great. I walked down to the Thames easily many nights. Having the Borough tube stop literally outside the door made going out at night a breeze. The staff was very helpful and the Cafe Riga was exceptional. I was worried about sharing a bathroom, but everything was clean and we were provided a robe. The narrow steps make entering a challenge for someone with a disability. Growing up in Florida we did not have AC, but for the last 30 years, I have gotten used to having it. I think it is important for people to ask about AC, in smaller hotels in London especially South of the Thames. I would definitely stay again, if I travel alone or with
someone who could truly appreciate this special place.

Room Tip: Ask for a double or single ensuite it is bigger.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1948john, Guest Relations Manager at London City Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Dear Cathy,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for us (and for Cafe Riva). We all really enjoyed having you stay with us, it was a real pleasure to have been able to accommodate you here.

It was quite a week weather wise for London, having lived in London all my life I've never experienced anything like it. Great that you found with the fan on you could cope with the heat. Sounds like you made the most of our location with the underground right next door and the river and other site a short walk away.

Just so you know we do have some ground floor rooms (so stairs can be avoided) with air conditioning (our single ensuite and double deluxe). We very much hope to meet you again.

Claudia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Bude, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2013

I was nearly put off by the outside appearance of the hotel as my husband and I were presented with just a glass door in-between a pub and a café, and having booked on line in a hurry prayed that it would be clean and tidy at the very least. However, I was very relieved to find that once inside and at the top of the stairs we were greeted by a very charming and helpful young woman, making sure that our stay was a very pleasurable one.
As hoped, the premises although not plush, was very clean and tidy and our room was small but very adequate with a comfortable bed and the cleanest bathroom I’ve seen for ages.
Breakfast was taken in their café next door (or rather beneath us) which on first sight when closed wondered if it would be OK, found that first appearances really don’t count as the premise was very clean with efficient staff who cooked a really tasty meal.
Located literally next door to the Borough tube station, is located near lots of cafes, restaurants, essential shops and only 20 minutes amble from The Tate Gallery.
Shall find an excuse to stay here again!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Dear Patrick,

So pleased that you had a great stay with us at London City Hotel and felt very welcome on your arrival.

Making sure that we maintain our high standards of cleanliness is very important to us and it is good to know that was appreciated.

Breakfast and lunch is available in our cafe on the ground floor and sounds like you really enjoyed your tasty meal. We have just started a Trip Advisor page for the Cafe.

We look forward to you coming back to stay with us again. Hopefully you won't need too many excuses to come back!

Ramat Gan, Israel
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We stayed at the hotel during the past week. The rooms are quite small for our taste but overall okay. The service is top notch, one of the best I've had, as all the people are warm and friendly, especially Anna who made a special effort in making our vacation the best.

The hotel begins a refurnishing progress soon and if the rooms would be better (or larger) we would definitely want to stay there again.

Room Tip: They have a one double bed larger room. Get it if you can.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1948john, Guest Relations Manager at London City Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
Dear Shirley,

Thank you very much for leaving a review and it is really good to know that you felt welcome. It is very important to know that guests feel welcome and Anna will be thrilled to have got a special mention.

We hope that you come back to stay with us again to see our refurbishments as they take place.

West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2013

I stayed one night here but only because there were no other free rooms in the area. The room I was given was a standard single on the top floor. The room was clean and comfortable, rather like a student room however. The bathroom was separate and it appears there was only one bathroom for 6 rooms on the top floor - tough to get a shower on time if you are in a rush. The night was unusually warm and the room had no air con so was uncomfortably warm, granted not a problem on most nights in London. The hotel is average, good for the money as it is cheaper than other hotels and well located but still a lot of money for a single room with no en suite bathroom.

Room Tip: I think there are rooms with en suite so check before you book.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank LondonUKTraveller
1948john, Guest Relations Manager at London City Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review.

Just to let you know that we do have a range of rooms from single ensuite to double ensuite.

Our single non ensuite which is what we had available at the time of your booking only shares a bathroom with one other room on that floor. The other rooms you are referring to on that floor would have been ensuite.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope you come back to stay in some of our other rooms when we have the availability for you to choose a double or single ensuite. As we are a small hotel booking ahead is adviseable if you can.

Broadstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2013 via mobile

Just back from a 1 night break in London while we went to a show. Stayed in this hotel, I had read the reviews and I was a little concerned but this turned out to be unfounded.
The hotel takes a little finding, basically out of borough tube station, next building on the left.
We were staying in room 9, I can't comment on the rest of the hotel but our room was clean, relatively spacious, comfortable bed and a pleasant ensuite. The staff in the hotel were really friendly.
Location wise, about a 5-10 minute walk to London bridge, on the way you have to pass Borough Market, great place to grab some street food (every variety)
Would definitely stay in this hotel again.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nige29W
Dear Nige,

Thank you very much for your review. It is great to know that you enjoyed your stay and it met all your expectations.

Just a little adjustment to your directions, we are the first building on your right when you exit Borough tube Station, not left.

We are about to launch booking online directly from our website, which will make it easier for your next booking. Of course we are just on the end of the phone if you'd rather call. Thank you and really look forward to you staying with us again.

Trowbridge, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2013

External first impressions were not brilliant, however inside the accommodation was clean and tidy. Staff were extremely friendly and helpful, especially when it came to places to eat/drink. Very close to bus and underground station. Lovely breakfast in the cafe under the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1948john, Public Relations Manager at London City Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
Dear Sarah,

Thank you for writing a review for our hotel. Thanks very much for the feedback on our entrance. We really value feedback from our guests and are always looking at ways we can improve our hotel. The entrance is an area we are working on, having already started to improve signage, with more plans to follow. We hope you come back to stay with us again and see the changes we make.

If you have the time then I'd appreciate it if you could leave a review for our cafe too. I have just launched it today! http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g186338-d4480744-Reviews-Cafe_Riva-London_England.html

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 5 July 2013

We found on Booking and TripAdvisor. Room was newer, very clean, smelled nice, comfortable bed & pillows, AC and yes, it was small. But what do you expect! We had Room C with ensuite and stayed 6 nights. It was situated next door to their main hotel and down the hallway from Cafe Riva. Staff very helpful & friendly. It was great location, in the Southwark next door to Borough Tube and bus stops all around. Did have some problems with electrical, couldn't run my flat iron and back massager even though we had adapter-converter and mirror light in bathroom wouldn't come on. Said would be checking the electrical after we left as this is a new section. Breakfast at Cafe Riva was very good. I chose scrambled egg, bacon, potatoes, tomatoes, toast for £6 pounds. In the neighborhood, is Borough Market, best time is Thursday-Sat, lots of vendors and small restaurant & bakery stalls. Up the road on Borough High Street is London Bridge, Thames River, London Eye, and more restaurants. One of my favorites is Nando's, walk South a few blocks on Borough High Street towards Elephant & Castle, you won't regret it, especially if you like spicy! I ordered the Peri Peri Breast Chicken twice, my husband ordered the wings. I wish we had one in Arizona because I'm sure going to miss it. Would I stay here again? You bet but will check to make sure the electrical issue is corrected.

Room Tip: Room C ensuite with AC
1 Thank aznative6
1948john, Guest Relations Manager at London City Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing a review and we are really pleased that you had a positive experience of both the hotel facilities, staff and the location.

I am very sorry that we were not able to resolve the electrical issues you experienced. Thank you for understanding that with all new refurbishments there are sometimes small issues which need resolving. Thank you for bringing this to our attention, we have already been able to ensure maintenance is carried out and the problem is resolved.

Hope your journey back home went well and you can track down some spicy chicken wings in Arizona!