“an overpriced joke!”

Ranked #224 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Belfast, United Kingdom
“an overpriced joke!”
Reviewed 12 March 2014

My secretary booked me into this hotel as I am here for 1 night on business. this hotel charges £119 for a single room (and I mean 'single') with a shared bathroom and no breakfast! it is cheap (not the price - the decor and fittings) and nasty. The shared bathroom has a bath mat that has been used by someone else (yeuchj!). Only in London can hoteliers get away with such outrageous pricing for such poor facilities. Never again. Please please do not stay here.
Brendan, Edinburgh

Room Tip: just don't book in here
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Brendan M
1948john, Guest Relations Manager at London City Hotel, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Dear Brendan,

We are very sorry that this was your experience at our hotel. We take pride in making sure our guest have a positive experience with us. We were fully booked on the night otherwise we would have upgraded you to one of our en-suite rooms.

This room would not normally sell at this rate. Unfortunately we have recently upgraded our hotel booking system and this room rate was an oversight as we transferred data.

I understand that at the time we offered you free wifi and a complimentary breakfast. As a further gesture of goodwill and as a way of apology we would like to offer you £50 off your next stay with.

Claudia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Lethbridge, Canada
Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

This hotel is right next to the borough tube station. We found the staff always asked if everything was alright. The rooms are tiny by western standards but as a place to sleep it fits the bill. Super sized towels was a big plus. When here go out the door turn right and try the fresh restaurant.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank articusblue
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review.

We are really pleased that you enjoyed Cafe Riva as well!

We hope you come back to the UK soon and please do make enquiries with us about our apartments, which offer more space.

Sawley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I stayed for 1 night in a double ensuing bedroom. The room and bathroom were clean and well equipped, the shower was amazing. It was a huge walk in shower with 'waterfall' style shower head, I didn't want to get out. The only thing that let me down was the size and view. I felt a little closed in as the hotel is in the middle of a terrace with coffee shop next door so the only window looked out onto the back of other buildings and was frosted so I couldn't see out and the room was a bit small. However it was a lovely stay, quiet and comfortable.

The uniqueness of it was when I was taken to my room by going out of the hotel and into the coffee shop where I walked through to a separate area with 3 guest rooms.I have never let myself into a closed cafe to get into my hotel room before but it was sure interesting :)

The Borough tube station is also a step away and i had one of their sandwhich melts and coffee at the cafe and it was amazing. I would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for leaving a review.

I think you are right we may actually be the only hotel with an entrance through our cafe. However, as you discovered it does mean you have easy access to excellent coffee and delicious meals.

It is fair to say the ground floor rooms do not have a view but within a 5 minute walk you can be strolling along the Thames walkway and exploring London and all its sights.

Bognor Regis, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2014

We booked for a one night stay in February 2014, the hotel is a lovely little gem hidden away but with great tube links (borough station is next door). The room was pleasant and had everything you need it was extremely clean as was the bathroom that was spotless, the staff were friendly and helpful and even directed us to the great little bus that stops over the road that took us back to Victoria station for the bargin price of less than £5 for two of us!!
The breakfast in the little cafe below was excellent and the staff in the cafe were friendly and efficient the cafe was also spotless. I will be using this hotel next time I stay in London as I can't fault it at all and feel lucky to have discovered this little gem of a place. Would highly recommend this hotel as was easy to hop on the tube and get to all the central London places you want to get to on a weekend in the capital.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 5, lovely little room with everything you need
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your lovely review. We are every happy to be a little gem!

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and we are so pleased that you made the most of the hotel, Cafe Riva and used our location to explore London from.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

wales
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Stayed second week in February. Hotel telephoned me two days before we were due to arrive to say as we were a family of 3 they had upgraded us to an apartment which was a two minute walk away. Arrived at apartment and was very pleased, very clean, very spacious and excellent location and staff. It is a budget hotel so dont expect the Ritz quality but for a budget hotel is is really excellent and we will be back

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jonesstev3
Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving us a review and for the all round positive feedback. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the upgrade and the apartment.

Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Very glad I found this place. Good value for such a central location (I'm working on Borough High Street; this hotel is literally next door to Borough tube station).
I booked a single room, shared bathroom. The photos on their website are spot-on so the room was as I expected: small, like a student room (minus desk), with a sink in the room, and the bathroom (shower only) just steps down the hall. The room was better furnished than a student room, with luxe bedlinen, blind & curtains for black-out. And the room, bathroom and shared areas were very clean. My room (11) was completely silent, warm and cosy, and I slept solid for 8 hours. As a lady staying on my own, I felt very safe here.
I was checked in by Ivana who was energetic and friendly, even at 10pm. Next time, I'd like to try out Cafe Riva, their 'sister' cafe which is just underneath the hotel, because I hear it's v good (and opens at 6am). Really great 'find' and I've recommended it to my colleagues. Great value - just manage your expectations!

Room Tip: Make sure you read the small print of your booking - I'm happy with a shared bathroom, but you m...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1948john, Guest Relations Manager at London City Hotel, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review and for the personal feedback for our staff member Iwona.

We are really pleased that the hotel met your expectations and suited you on your trip.

We are constantly updating our linen and all rooms have just been fitted with new luxury bedspreads. We always aim for the rooms to feel as comfortable as possible with the space available.

We hope to see you again soon.

Rudolstadt, Germany
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Everything was really nice. Clean rooms, really friendly and helpful staff and excellent breakfast.
It has delicious tea with biscuits on his room. We were more than happy just to stay there. If we are traveling to London again we choose this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Daniel,

I am very happy to receive your review.

Thank you for appreciating our tea and biscuits. We have just upgraded our tea options to Birchall, a high quality independent supplier (packed less than 2 miles from the hotel) and the biscuits are a delicious new additions to the rooms.

Please do come and stay with us again.