“never ever stay here”

Hotel Sophia
Ranked #1,027 of 1,073 Hotels in London
Reviewed 22 April 2012

wow where to start...
we booked the hotel room over the phone for 2 nights, gave them our name and phone number and a credit card to hold our reservation, we were then told we were fine just to show up on the date.
upon arrival the front desk lady barely spoke english, she had no idea who we were or what room we were in, so she instructed us to wait in the lobby while she called her manager.
after about 15 minutes up front she came back and handed us a key to a room on the 3rd floor.
since there are no elevators and we had many bags my husband went up the stairs first while i waited in the lobby. he couldnt remember which room on that floor was our room, so started trying the doors, only to discover THE KEY OPENED ALL THE ROOMS ON THE FLOOR! as he went through a couple of the rooms, they were awful. so small we probably coudnt have even fit in there with our luggage.
also they were not clean, the carpet was gross, the sheets were gross.
needles to say, he came back downstairs and we told them we were not staying here.
we were worried they might charge our card (we were also told by another nearby hotel that they would) so we went as far as to cancel the debit card that we had given them
all in all we were in tears thinking we might have to stay in this dump, and i would highly recommend everyone to stay away from hotel sophia.

Room Tip: dont stay here
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank kdogger08
There are newer reviews for Hotel Sophia

Reviewed 1 January 2012

Absolute shambles! booked in advance agessss before new years gave them credit card number and our name and address and was told thats fine see you new years eve, rang again new years eve to tell them we were on our way and they turned around and said we have no recollection of your booking EVEN THOUGH THEY TOOK OUR CRED CARD DETAILS OVER THE PHONE! ruined our new years plans and staff were very rude, shouting and not even appologetic on the phone! be warned do not stay here!!

Room Tip: Do not stay here!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lynne K
Reviewed 30 October 2011

How they even call this a hotel? It's the worst place I've ever stayed. They put me on the top floor and there is no elevator. I wonder if my room was ever cleaned. Please don't stay here as there are lots of options near Paddington train/tube station.

Room Tip: do not stay here
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank rswong
Reviewed 15 September 2011

I'm American and had a six hour flight in order to get to the UK, but when I saw this hotel I wanted to turn right back around and see if I could get a flight back that night. I feel skeezy just looking at the bed, the desk wobbles. Free WiFi is a joke because I MAYBE can load Google. If I'm lucky and it's like 3AM (which is fine, with the state of the bed I barely wanted to sleep). The staircase does not feel sturdy and may in fact be falling apart. There are no other exits, there's no real handles on the door and staff leaves the room unlocked after cleaning. I don't know if that is normal over there, but I doubt it. The breakfast is terrible, the staff person who runs it literally sat and watched Real Housewives of where ever when there was no water in the kettle. The room wasn't serviced when they gave it to us. The room smelled, probably from the carpet, the shower didn't close properly, and the hot water was iffy at best. One of the beds in the twin room was held up with a piece of plywood where the frame had bent. The towels were so worn I would have to dry myself with the clothes I wore the day before. There's stuff all over the stairs and there were TVs sitting on the third floor landing for no reason other than the fact that I don't think these people know what a trash can (rubbish bin?) is.

Basically, I felt like I was squatting in some drug or prostitution motel. Actually, that's an insult to both of those things. At least they service the rooms before giving them to someone else usually.

Only stay here if it is the LAST OPTION for one night. Actually, I'd rather sleep in Paddington station. It seemed cleaner to me. It's that bad.

Room Tip: Pick any other hotel anywhere (try near the airport, farther, but seriously, I'd rather travel m...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank WantsToTravel60763
Reviewed 26 June 2011

room very basic. carpet stinking and smelling. shower cracked and mouldy,only 1 shower door. didn't need it anyway as there was no hot water. At breakfast member of staff did nothing but blow his nose and scrape his throat. same dirty t-shirt that he worn the day before. French fella was sleeping in the lobby 9am guy on reception gave him a room someone had just checked out of(NOT SERVICED) just to move him out of sight !!!!!! DISGUSTING

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank snowyowen
Reviewed 26 June 2011

This was probably a bit of a last resort, as the Swiss were in town for the football. Was given a room on the top floor and as usual looked for fire exits, but the exit was the same main staircase we had just come up. The fire cupboard contained a ladder for climbing out through a skylight on to the roof, but the skylight was directly over the stairwell with a direct drop to the ground floor, not much of an option if you are in a panic. I didn't see how they got out from the seconf floor and the first floor was out of a window on to a flat roof, but the window was in the same lone stairwell, so not very much of a confidence booster. The staircase had unsecured carpet causing potential trip hazards, to which I asked the reception to sort out, but they didn't. Things went downhill fast from then, the room was dirty, the carpet was rank, but the sheets were clean. There was no cupboards just a cheap framework in the corner, one curtain, not a pair and it did not cover the window. The bathroom wasn't too appealing, the shower looked as if it hadn't had a decent clean for ages, the toilet seat was loose and had to be held up and as for the cheap pink toilet paper, it was so thin it was virtually see through. So to breakfast, a bit of an affront to the word, it was neither Continental or English and it look self service down to a different level. Tables for four that were so close together that only two could squeeze on to one if the next was full. Diluted juice, the cheapest two cereals on the market, a toaster and a kettle for hot drinks that you had to go to an adjoining wash area to fill up yourself, needless to say, we skipped it on the second morning. How this place is still open I'll never know and would not recommend this to my worst enemy. Awful

Room Tip: Walk on to the next hotel
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Stuart J
Reviewed 11 June 2011

Late night drinks in the Paddington Hilton "Steam Bar" with friends meant I just missed my last 2:00 am train and would have had near a 3 hour wait on a cold platform ...

Hilton was resolute on £150 a room (used the hotel at a friend's expense ... and lovely if you check in early enough to use the facilities ... but not at 2:00am) !

So I crossed the road and the Sophia was still open. Negotiated £35 for a room ... ran off to grab a quick take-away ... asleep 3am ...

Woken at 10am to the sound of rumbling tube trains ...

Sheets were clean, bathroom primitive but useable, only for emergency accommodation, sleep two for £45, might be well OK for backpackers.

Most basic hotel, but no bed bugs and offers rooms at the price of a meal ... better than an outdoor sleeping bag ... and negotiable prices as nobody pre-books expecting a proper hotel !

Its a clean bed for the night, that's all.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo