“Great value for money & very helpful staff”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Grellis Guest House
Ranked #378 of 573 London B&B and Inns
Bangkok, Thailand
“Great value for money & very helpful staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2011

I travel from Wales to London to see my family quite often, unfortunately they have no room for us to stay, that is why I use Grellis Guest House and have done for the past few years.

Other guest house's in the area refused to let me stay with my 3 young children for some reason! Grellis Guest House welcomed us all and still do every time we visit. We all stay in a room downstairs, which entails of a double bed, a single bed and en-suite facilities, the room is a fab size, clean bedding and very tidy, the kitchen is fully equipped with everything you need, if you don't want to pay for breakfast then go to the local shop and buy some bits yourself to put in the fridge!! or alternatively go to the cafe up the road! You get your own keys to come & go as you please plus parking facilities outside the property.

The staff at Grellis Guest House are extremely helpful, they will assist in anyway they can, they have always helped me many times with local knowledge of train times & routes etc.
Grellis Guest House is located just outside of central london, the tube station is just a short walk and busses run passed all the time.

I believe you get what you pay for and Grellis Guest House serves our purpose, I would recommend it to anyone who is either passing through or staying for a while, its very cheap and very convenient. I will definatly be using it again and would recommend it to anyone thinking of staying.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Reeveslj3

Business
Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2011

I spent one night at this guest house. It was a double bed room with an en-suite bathroom. The room was clean and spacious. It is not in central London but the location is very convenient (5mn away from North Acton tube station which is 20-25 mn away from Oxford street). The staff is very helpful. I do recomment this place for long stays and even short stays.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank tropdepseudo
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2011

Stayed here for a weekend with my boyfriend. Paid £45 per night for a double room, which had an ensuite. This stay was extremely good value given that it is a five minute walk to the North Acton tube station and the room itself was clean and spacious. Door to door from Grellis to Central London takes approximately 30 minutes. Bring your own towels as these are not provided. In addition, they only provide continental breakfast, however, there is a cafe nearby.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kelly2008_pomp
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2010

Now, that's a tricky one. There were 4 of us staying there in Oct 2010, and we had a completely different experience. It's almost unbelievable that you can get such an opposite treatment in the very same place.

Ok, let's start from the beginning.
First of all, I'd say this place fits better into the category of hostel rather than a guest house. For example, when you check in, you need to carefully check the room and like "could you please turn on the heating, and put at least a soap in the bathroom as it's completely empty, and move the bed away from the window as the draft goes directly into it." Mind you, they'll happily oblige, but it makes me wonder why is it that they could not do it all themselves without me asking.

Same with breakfast. It is not included by default. You can pay extra for it, but it's 5 pounds and it's only cereals anyway, so not really worth it. On the other hand, you get 24/7 access to the kitchen, and they even went into the trouble of installing 2 cookers, 2 microwaves, etc. And there is a convenience store at the corner with all the basics (and a very nice kebab place as well). So again, it's more like hostel style. It's not really bad or good per se. I personally like the flexibility of it. But when you see a "Guest House" you normally expect something different.

Location. When I booked the place I was mainly worried about the location. But it turned out to be not that bad. Ok, it's not the city centre, but it's 5 mins to the North Aston tube station and then 25 mins to Oxford Circus. So it's manageable. Getting to Heathrow was more awkward. Even though it is in that general direction, it is on the parallel line, so requires two connections and overall it takes about an hour plus.

Now, the worst part is really the rooms. That's the main reason I put 2 stars and was tempted to go for 1. That's where the main difference in our experience was. I personally stayed in the double room downstairs (with my wife) and it was not bad at all. I mean it's no luxurious but (with the modifications above) it was fairly inhabitable. Fairly spacey, good mattress, warm blanket. I'd say even better than I'd expect for the price. However, the other two of us stayed in the room upstairs and it was your worst nightmare. While it was technically a "twin en-suite", it was tiny, dark, cold, damp (carpet in the bathroom was literary wet, probably a leek somewhere), half the lights not working, no curtain on the bathroom window. So a complete opposite. I don't know how the rest of the rooms look like, but I've noticed that the shared bathroom downstairs had the shower sellataped to a rusty hook, so this did not add any points either.

So here you go, if you are lucky it's not bad, but if you are not, then a place like this can seriously ruin your holidays. I personally won't be taking my chances there again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Waterlooville, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2007

We stayed at Grellis Guest House for £45 per double room which was a great saving compared to some of the big hotels in London. It's located conveniently close to Acton Main Line Station and there are night buses and tubes to 4 tube stations nearby.

Obviously you do get what you pay for and the accommodation was basic, but we had a private en suite bathroom and were given a key so we could come and go as we pleased.

The rooms vary in quality - we had 2 single beds pushed together but all we wanted was somewhere to crash for the night so it was fine! The others we were with had a better room with a double and a single in it.

Do take your own towels, shower gel etc as it's not provided. But generally clean and serves its purpose! It's in a nice area too, a street of semi-detached houses. Felt safe there.

• Liked — Good price and convenient location
  • Disliked — Not the most luxurious I have ever stayed in, but served a purpose!
  • Stayed July 2007