“Excellent Salt Beef”
Review of Monty's Deli

Monty's Deli
Reserve with OpenTable
Monty's Deli is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4,059 of 22,671 Restaurants in London
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
London
“Excellent Salt Beef”
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

One of the best (if not the best) salt beef sandwiches that I've had in London. I usually do the Reuben special but go all salt beef instead of salt beef and pastrami.

It's also a great place to have lunch before getting a custard donut from St John's and walking down Maltby St markets

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank toast#21

London, United Kingdom
“Pastrami the way it was meant to be!”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I am ex Montrealer devotee of Schwartz high temple (I have sampled NYC attempts - Katz, 2nd etc and Toronto Kaplinsky) . I had heard about Monty's last year (most salt beef in London is just abused salty brisket - great on a bagel after a night in a pub but not worth racing across town). Twice last year I had tried to make it Maltby Street Market and each time Monty's was sold out (I remained skeptical the place was full of hipsters - we saw Will Young today). I went last week and was again foiled - there stall was gone. What I had nor realized was they were in a bigger space on the other side. We returned to Maltby (actually trying to buy some artisanal gin) and through happenstance found prodigal sandwich shop! I warn them I am devotee of montreal medium smoked meat. They recommend the Special Reuben (mix of Pastrami and salt beef - the spicing compliments nicely for a more complex sandwich) they do not fail - this was a hand carved like a master (they know I want some marbling (yes a piece of fat is yum but this was more subtle and infused each bite). Warning to any friends visiting London -- I like Burrough Market but too many tourists on saturday and not open sundays - Maltby and Monty are now on the weekend tour!

• Visited July 2014
3 Thank Enriqueldem
“satisfying”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I was looking for a place to get pastrami in London. I just got back from a trip to New York City where I went to Katz Deli and had been craving for pastrami sandwich. Trying to find Monty's on a Saturday morning was so worth it.The queue wasn't as bad as I expected (about ten people ahead of me) when I went this spring. I don't mind though. The food is great and so is the service. I'm also glad to know that they now sell on Sundays as well.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Aida205
London, United Kingdom
“Great sandwich, but don't ignore the paté & soup”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Monty's is super hot after support from chef Tom Kerridge. Their pastrami sandwich is legendary. However, buy their chicken liver paté to take away. Good value and delicious. Their chicken soup is also a tatsy option if you can't face their mammoth portions.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Black_Lion_Lane
London, United Kingdom
“Just great salt beef and pastrami sandwiches!”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

A recent addition for London's salt-beef-on-rye enthusiasts, this very personable salt beef and pastrami cafe under the arches between Druid St and Maltby Street Market is definitely a great find (see http://www.maltby.st/). I was directed there by a Jay Rayner review in the Guardian paper, and concur - this is the way to go!
Its a bit pricey as sandwiches go but then the portions are pretty huge - see my pics. We had the Reuben Special, a mix of salt beef and pastrami, with a touch of coleslaw and a gherkin, £9.
The can of cream soda was a £1. Seating was on the wooden benches, under the arches or outside in the May sunshine! Wine also available. And the service is just great, so we'll be back .....

• Visited May 2014