“They let themselves down with terrible service”
Review of On the Roof With Q - CLOSED

On the Roof With Q
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Mayfair
London, United Kingdom
“They let themselves down with terrible service”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We had planned a hen day in Selfridges - starting with a late lunch/early dinner in the roof restaurant. The first problem was booking - the online system won't allow a booking for more than four. When we phoned we were told that we couldn't book for fifteen we would have to book three separate tables, and they must be at fifteen minute intervals. The person who answered the phone said - 'we don't need to take bookings we are always full anyway'.
When we arrived we were offered three tables in a row - we asked if they could be pushed together and were told this couldn't be done because it was 'not allowed'. This in a restaurant where the tables are so closely spaced that one of us was splashed with gravy by a passing waiter.
The four people on my table arrived before five. Our order was finally taken at 5.40. I wanted afternoon tea, which was only served until 5.30, but as we had waited so long this was permitted. My pot of tea arrived but nothing else. After twenty minutes I asked if I would have fresh tea when the food arrived. I was told yes but no food arrived. After another ten minutes we asked the waiter what had happened to our order. No result. I asked a different waiter who just grunted and ignored me. By this time four of our party, who had arrived after us, had been served and were finishing their meals. I finally found someone who looked like a manager and said we had waited nearly two hours and the food appeared in seconds.
The food was adequate for the price. However one of the party ordered a 'well done' burger, was told 'they all come well done' only to have it bleed over her plate so she was unable to eat it. The accoutrements to afternoon tea were very disappointing, a speckly earthenware plate and a heavy white cup that might have come from a Costa coffee shop, but the food was pleasant enough.
At the end of the meal we were not charged for five out of the fifteen orders. Financially this was a fair enough settlement but it could not make up for spoiling a special occasion. This should have been a fabulous experience in a lovely environment.

2 Thank Ruth C

London, United Kingdom
“Kitchen closed before allowed in, went to eat elsewhere.”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We booked a table for 9.45pm (the only slot left), the restaurant's website said they were open until 11pm but not a word about the kitchen closing at 10pm. We were held downstairs for over 15 minutes until the lift arrived, and when we finally got upstairs at 10.05 were told the kitchen was closed, no exceptions, no apologies (how rude!) Hungry, we decided to go elsewhere and headed to Palomar (recommended!) where the hostess assured us (despite a long wait for a table) "we WILL feed you, guaranteed!". For 'On the roof with Q' to accept a booking for 9.45 without any warning and then turn back customers is plain profiteering: they probably assumed we'd just go in hungry and order drinks, since we were already there. Otherwise? Not their problem. Doesn't make us want to return.

• Visited June 2014
Houston, Texas
“Pleasant. Good service and food.”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We had lunch at this new restaurant and found it pleasant. Comfort food choices (it bills itself as a BBQ restaurant ), mostly salads and sandwiches.

Very tasty and our waiter was very a attentive and helpful. It was a little windy but we moved tables, which helped.

Good relaxing location after shopping or touring. Recommend you make reservations.

Visited July 2014
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“excellent food but i just wanted to kick the waiter down the roof!”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Booked there as a nice surprise from my parent as they were caming from Italy to visit me.
Lovely view, I liked the grass on the floor, really good food and nice cocktail list as well.
But what about the service?! My waiter was the worst ever - bald guy from east europe i think-! Asked if there was any beer on tap, he looked at me as if I was a stupid or something and he said "Do you see any tap beer on the counter?!".. speachless.. Asked for a decaf coffee, he looked at me as if I was asking for the moon.. And we are a really easy family when we dine out!
It is a real shame as the quality of the food is really good..

1 Thank g a
London
“Good - but not amazing.”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Yeh, it's ok....but I wouldn't say it was amazing! Definitely go when it is sunny!

Booked a table on Friday evening for 5:45 and arrived to it being fairly busy - the atmosphere is definitely good especially if you are there to have a couple of drinks before dinner.

We started with the butternut squash hummus and flat bread. This came fairly quickly and I was really impressed by the hummus, double the portion of flat bread and it would have been real winner!

For mains we went boring and stuck with burgers/chips/coleslaw. The burger was ok - not the best I've had in London, but accompanied by the atmosphere worth the money. Coleslaw was nice, but unfortunately the chips were a bit cold and slightly too salted!

The waiters were good and fairly attentive so full marks there! Also the waiters were all actually fairly cool - not your usual stone faced moron with nothing to say!

The only thing I didn't particularly like was the fact that the tables are all fairly close together therefore not really leaving a lot of walkway, so as a result it felt like somebody might fall into your table at any minute.

All in all worth the 65 quid, but not sure I would go again - maybe once a summer.

1 Thank Citymuncher