“Great budget stay”

Ranked #639 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Great budget stay”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I stayed at the HIExpress with my 16 and 13 year old daughters and their friend who was also 16 as they were going to a youtube convention at Alexandra Palace. Initially I was a bit worried as I have stayed in similar hotels in London on a Saturday night and it wasn't very pleasant, but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised!

I arrived an hour before the allocated check in time and my family room was ready for us. The room had a decent sized double bed and a relatively comfy sofa bed. The room was spotlessly clean and aired. There were plenty of towels and enough cups for all of us to have hot drinks which is unusual as other places I have stayed only put out two cups.

I had to get to the east of London and the nearest tube station was closed for the weekend. The staff at front desk were very knowledgeable directing me to the nearest bus stop and where to get off the bus and showing me where I could top up my Oyster card.

We arrived back from our event after 9pm and the hotel had no food available but they handed over a variety of take away menu's and offered to phone our order through, which they happily did. They food was great and plenty of it (we chose the Chinese menu) and it was very good value for money.

I was a bit worried as our room faced the very busy North Circular road but with the window shut there was hardly any road noise and no noise from fellow guests either which I found very unusual and was very happy about!

We arrived at Breakfast on Sunday morning just after 8am. It was a very civilised set up, we experienced no problems. There was plenty of food, the coffee machine produced decent coffee, lots of fruit juice, croissants, sausages, scrambled eggs, beans, lots of bread both brown and white to toast as well as a Kosher option. There were tables available to sit at and the staff were constantly cleaning up when guests were finished.

I would recommend this hotel. The staff were friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. The room was clean, spacious and aired. I felt safe and secure which was a priority to me as I was with three teenage girls!

On another note, if you are staying at this hotel and need a taxi I thoroughly recommend a firm called GLH. They answer the phone promptly, give you a quote for the exact price the journey costs, send you a text with a link to how far away your driver is and another text to let you know the driver has arrived, his name, the make and model of the car and it's registration number. I used to them to take us to and from Alexandra Palace and I cannot fault them.

Overall a successful trip.

Room Tip: Our room was on the second floor and was a family room.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2013

It is a great hotel if you need a limited service hotel, I was there on the weekend for two nights the room is spacious, it’s easy access for transportation and restaurants are not too far away.
The only down fall is during breakfast period there is no room to move , the staff are brilliant I experienced a shocking behaviour from the boss while having a cigarette outside he was shouting at one of the employee from what it sound like she parked in the car park what sort of person behaviour towards their employee like this , I went to her because I felt so sorry for her to ask for his name because I wanted to mention his name on this review but she smile and told me it is fine , he does not deserve any loyalty if you ask me .

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank paul_sK2878KG
Torbay
Reviewed 5 August 2013

The hotel is in a great location for exploring London from the Northern side and the reception staff gave us a friendly welcome. Although the hotel is non-smoking, on entering our room it did have a strong tobacco odour which was rather offputting. Our main complaint was the chaos in the dining area at breakfast time. Staff were almost non-existant until reception and housekeeping staff came to help and then began to clear tables so that folk could sit. The layout of the breakfast buffet makes it almost impossible to serve oneself safely as there is no space in which to balance a tray or rest a plate and the debis on the floor resulting from the crush added to the hazard. I see that I am not the first to make these comments and so please could the manangement take note and make simple adjustments and employ extra catering staff to cover the breakfast period.

Room Tip: Away from the lifts and maybe not choose an interconnecting room unless you require it for family.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Golders Green North, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
Dear joode8,

Thank you for your review and for enumerating the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. Whilst I am pleased with the good comments, I truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. I am sorry for the shortcomings you have experienced during your stay with us and if your stay was negatively affected by our breakfast area. As we continually strive for excellence in customer service, we maintain the ideal of keeping guest satisfaction as our top priority. This feedback will be shared with the appropriate people that can help us make a difference to ensure our valued guests' needs and expectations are met in the future.

Krysllin G.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Rooms were clean & well appointed but lacked attention to detail (2 cups despite beds made up for 3 sharing). Hairdryer wasn't working & shower varied from lukewarm to cold - staff told us we should have said earlier & they could have fixed it(!) Breakfast was a free for all - staff couldn't care less - and they didn't have enough tables to seat all the guests, cutlery was limited & so we were sharing spoons. When we asked if we could take our breakfast into the bar area, the staff ignored us, so we were left standing until a table was free & we squashed next to some other poor guests. Choice was limited & staff closed the servery whilst we were still eating, didn't check if any guests would like more, and due to the table debacle, several guests went hungry as they hadn't managed to get a table in time. Shocking. Every other holiday inn I've stayed at has been great - I suppose there is always an exception that proves the rule.....

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Golders Green North, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Dear Emma R,

We appreciate that you took the time to review our hotel.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the lapse in service with reference to your breakfast experience and the shortcomings you have encountered in your room. We deeply regret that these aspects have negatively affected your overall experience with us.

We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. We hope that you give us a chance to change your perception of our hotel.

Dhan M
Qatar
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Rooms are ok and ours was clean and didn't smell (like others have been reporting). The hotel feels crowded as reception area is small and always busy and there isn't sufficient room for breakfast. The location isn't perfect, next to a very busy junction, but for the price you pay ok - there are two bus routes in front of the hotel and you get to Golders Green tube station in 10 - 20 min depending on the time you have to wait for the bus.The main disappointment for us was the staff - when we arrived our booking had apparently been cancelled due to issues with the credit card booking but no one had bothered telling us beforehand. After some arguing we got our room anyway so no need for all the fuss! Breakfast service staff isn't very friendly either. There is also no free wifi and you have to go down to reception to buy a voucher. Not ideal when you're already in bed! Breakfast food is kosher - no idea why in London - that means not the standard English breakfast which we love so much. But despite all the small issues, it's still ok in terms of value for money!

Room Tip: Try to get one on the backside - rooms facing the North Circular are very noisy!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Joergt
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Golders Green North, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Dear Joergt,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received poor customer service from our front desk and breakfast staff which was unacceptable. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Biggar, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Clean, well run and efficient. Everything worked. Good beds. We had three people in one room and it was fine. Friendly staff. Very conveniently located for driving into London.
Slight quibble about the breakfast which was a bit sparse. Also plastic plates! Aaaagh!
We paid @£130 for three sharing with breakfast. Plastic plates included.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family