“Great location and fantastic value... but...”

Park Plaza County Hall London
Ranked #225 of 1,089 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Olney, United Kingdom
“Great location and fantastic value... but...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2012

My wife and I stayed here on a recent mini-break in London and the hotel itself is great: it's modern; clean; the staff were friendly (although the concierge always seemed to have wondered off somewhere when we wanted to leave/collect out bags!); in a great location (although not actually in the County Hall building as some other hotels are, but on the street behind); and overall great value (I don't know about normal rates - I booked and paid several weeks in advance, non-refundable).

My only gripes (and hence 4 stars not 5) were that, when booking my room it wasn't clear from the website which class of room the pictures were of (the hotel helped me by sending some imaged by email - after I phoned direct as Park Inn's central booking desk was less helpful) and, more importantly, the headline prices quoted were excluding VAT. Park Inn defended this but I expect all advertised prices in the UK to include VAT - and seeing an extra 20% on the booking just before clicking "confirm" was a bit of a shock...

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
PPCHLondon, Front Office Manager at Park Plaza County Hall London, responded to this review, 23 January 2012
Dear MarkAWilson

I would like to thank you for the comments regarding our hotel and staff, it is always good to have feedback regardless of it being good or bad and I will pass your comemnts on to our Head Conceirge.

At Park Plaza all of our room rates are advertised exclusive of VAT, only though some third party websites do they show VAT included. I am sorry that you had a bad experince ahen you dealt with Park Inns Central desk. I only hope that the negative points from this did not impact on your stay.

If you wish to contact me at the hotel please do so.

Karen Lorimer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,073)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Ashford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2012

have stayed here twice now, have been given an upgrade to an exec studio.
rooms are excellent, very clean, decent size and decent facilities.
staff are excellent, location good.
can't fault thus far!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Dear Jonnyoftheboy

I am happy to hear that we have met your expectations on all levels both times you have stayed with us. The team work very hard to give the same level of service to evey guest every day and reveiws like yours show our team that they are succeeding.

I hope to meet you next time you stay with us.

Kind Regards
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

We visited the park plaza county hall hotel last weekend for my mums 50th birthday. We were upgraded to a beautiful with a view of the eye (like i requested). A bottle of wine and card was given to my mum, which was lovely touch. All staff very friendly and helpfull, would visit again and recommend to everyone.

• Stayed January 2012
PPCHLondon, Front Office Manager at Park Plaza County Hall London, responded to this review, 22 January 2012
Dear Frankie 1988

I am so happy that we were able to make your mum's birthday extra special. This is a great review which I will share with the team.

Thanks for the kind words and I hope to see you return to the hotel in the near furture.

Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

The hotel has a fabulous location between 2 subway stations (Westminster/Waterloo). The Parliment, London eye and several other attractions are all within walking distance, loved the location!! Our view was not of the London eye, but the view was not really important for us.
We are a family of four and we had a big room which was slightly separated (one double bed and one double sleeper sofa - pull out) a little kitchenette with a microwave and water heater. The rooms are clean, spacious for London standard and modernly decorated.
We didn't have breakfast included, it cost 10 pounds per adult (children under 5 are free). The breakfast is a buffet with quite a few selections, enough to please even the pickiest toddler!
The staff is very friendly, attentative and helpful!
Would definately stay here again!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Claudia C
PPCHLondon, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza County Hall London, responded to this review, 21 January 2012
Dear ClaudiaCR,

It is really fantastic for the team here at Park Plaza County Hall to hear such positive comments about a guest's stay with us.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay, from the layout and the size of the room, to the variety of the buffet at breakfast!

I will most certainly pass your kind comments regarding the service onto the team, and we hope to welcome you back soon!

Island of Anglesey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2012

All the staff .. from the doorman who warned me where to jog and where not to jog.. the reception staff friendly and helpful to the guest relations who noted a special birthday .... I was very happy at this Hotel ... 6 days of business and pleasure (we stayed over the weekend to mix work with fun)

Room Tip: nice, well equipped gym and sauna
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
PPCHLondon, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza County Hall London, responded to this review, 20 January 2012
Dear andyryder,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with other TripAdvisor readers. It is so great to read that all the team here at Park Plaza County Hall worked together to make your stay such a special one, and that you were able to combine a week of business with a weekend of fun!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2012

I picked this hotel based on prior reviews, and I was not disappointed. I wanted a spacious room, in a great location, with wifi and a gym - which is exactly what I got. It was certainly worth the price! The room amenities were great as there was a microwave and a couple of dishes. The bed was particularly comfortable. I had trouble with the room temperature one night and was promptly assisted. The staff and concierge were very helpful! Although I presume that not all rooms have a view, our room had an amazing view of the Eye and Big Ben - which was wonderful for my family whose first time it was in London. The hotel is centrally located with both Westminster and Waterloo stations nearby. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Dear JourneysAndTravels,

Thank you for trusting the reviews that others have written on TripAdvisor. I am thrilled that we lived up to your expectations, and that you were able to make the most of so many of our fantastic facilities during your stay.

In our London Eye view rooms you are able to experience some of London's most amazing sights. Although not all of our rooms face in this direction, we do also have some rooms with panoramic views towards the city centre, showing sights such as the Gerkin Building and Canary Wharf.

We really appreciate your recommendations to others, and hope to see you and your family back in the future!

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

We stayed at this hotel in an executive suite on 10th-11th January and really enjoyed our stay. Upon arrival the staff were really friendly and the concierge offered us maps and guidance on where to go in London.

Our room was really spacious, consisting of a separate bedroom and lounge area which was really clean and modern with a fantastic view of the London Eye and Big Ben. Upon entering the room there was a hand written welcome card from staff and a complimentary bottle of wine- which we thought was a nice touch.

The location is ideal, really close to Waterloo Station, Westminster Bridge and Waterloo Bridge.

We did not use the bar or the restaurant but both looked very nice. We felt breakfast at £27 per couple was a little over priced especially considering the price of the room, however this did not tarnish out stay.

Really good espresso machine and free internet were welcome additions.

Would stay again but for no more than two nights due to the high costs.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
PPCHLondon, Front Office Manager at Park Plaza County Hall London, responded to this review, 18 January 2012
Dear Dunc29

I am delighted that the hotel, our team and our location perfect for your needs. I understand at it is the small things that can make all the difference to a stay in a hotel and that is why our team try their best.

I will pass on your comments to our Head Conceirge Andrew who will be very happy that you found our conceirge team full of advice and ideas of what to do with your time in london.

Thank you for the reveiw and I hope that I get the chance to welcome you back to our hotel in the future.