“Great hotel but not what I expected”

Park Plaza County Hall London
Ranked #235 of 1,075 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 22 January 2012

I learnt to discover that the first park plaza, county hall was not the one I had booked, infact mine was next door. The initial hotel was impressive, infact the nicest hotel I have been in, the one next door was still great though.
On arrival to my actual hotel I was told that I had received a free upgrade, but that all those rooms were now taken. I was asked if I would like upgrade again to the execuative suite for only £15 extra. Tempting as it was I decided not to, and stick with my original room as we were not planning to be in it much and were only staying one night. The execuative rooms are those with the views advertised on the website. The view from my room was very much different. It was of the inside of the hotel. Infact most rooms face inwards and so blinds are needed at all times. This being said, the room was a decent size, clean and modern. The bed was the comfiest I have slept in and the location was great.
I was charged £25 at check in incase I wanted to spend any money in the bar, I did not and was promised it would be reimbursed.
London is expensive, as is staying here..for a decent location and a clean and lovely hotel I would definately stay here again

• Stayed: January 2012
PPCHLondon, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza County Hall London, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2012

Dear alicesunshine23,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. I am glad that although we were not your first choice as a hotel you enjoyed staying with us and you will return.

I hope that next time we will be able to accommodate you in one of our Executive studios with a view of London Eye, for you to enjoy even more our hotel.

Looking forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Brandy Dragan
Senior Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed 21 January 2012

My wife and I stayed here on a recent mini-break in London and the hotel itself is great: it's modern; clean; the staff were friendly (although the concierge always seemed to have wondered off somewhere when we wanted to leave/collect out bags!); in a great location (although not actually in the County Hall building as some other hotels are, but on the street behind); and overall great value (I don't know about normal rates - I booked and paid several weeks in advance, non-refundable).

My only gripes (and hence 4 stars not 5) were that, when booking my room it wasn't clear from the website which class of room the pictures were of (the hotel helped me by sending some imaged by email - after I phoned direct as Park Inn's central booking desk was less helpful) and, more importantly, the headline prices quoted were excluding VAT. Park Inn defended this but I expect all advertised prices in the UK to include VAT - and seeing an extra 20% on the booking just before clicking "confirm" was a bit of a shock...

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
PPCHLondon, Front Office Manager at Park Plaza County Hall London, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2012

Dear MarkAWilson

I would like to thank you for the comments regarding our hotel and staff, it is always good to have feedback regardless of it being good or bad and I will pass your comemnts on to our Head Conceirge.

At Park Plaza all of our room rates are advertised exclusive of VAT, only though some third party websites do they show VAT included. I am sorry that you had a bad experince ahen you dealt with Park Inns Central desk. I only hope that the negative points from this did not impact on your stay.

If you wish to contact me at the hotel please do so.

Kind regards

Reviewed 21 January 2012

have stayed here twice now, have been given an upgrade to an exec studio.
rooms are excellent, very clean, decent size and decent facilities.
staff are excellent, location good.
can't fault thus far!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business

Dear Jonnyoftheboy

I am happy to hear that we have met your expectations on all levels both times you have stayed with us. The team work very hard to give the same level of service to evey guest every day and reveiws like yours show our team that they are succeeding.

I hope to meet you next time you stay with us.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 20 January 2012

We visited the park plaza county hall hotel last weekend for my mums 50th birthday. We were upgraded to a beautiful with a view of the eye (like i requested). A bottle of wine and card was given to my mum, which was lovely touch. All staff very friendly and helpfull, would visit again and recommend to everyone.

• Stayed: January 2012
PPCHLondon, Front Office Manager at Park Plaza County Hall London, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2012

Dear Frankie 1988

I am so happy that we were able to make your mum's birthday extra special. This is a great review which I will share with the team.

Thanks for the kind words and I hope to see you return to the hotel in the near furture.

Kind regards

Reviewed 20 January 2012

The hotel has a fabulous location between 2 subway stations (Westminster/Waterloo). The Parliment, London eye and several other attractions are all within walking distance, loved the location!! Our view was not of the London eye, but the view was not really important for us.
We are a family of four and we had a big room which was slightly separated (one double bed and one double sleeper sofa - pull out) a little kitchenette with a microwave and water heater. The rooms are clean, spacious for London standard and modernly decorated.
We didn't have breakfast included, it cost 10 pounds per adult (children under 5 are free). The breakfast is a buffet with quite a few selections, enough to please even the pickiest toddler!
The staff is very friendly, attentative and helpful!
Would definately stay here again!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Claudia C
PPCHLondon, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza County Hall London, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2012

Dear ClaudiaCR,

It is really fantastic for the team here at Park Plaza County Hall to hear such positive comments about a guest's stay with us.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay, from the layout and the size of the room, to the variety of the buffet at breakfast!

I will most certainly pass your kind comments regarding the service onto the team, and we hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 19 January 2012

All the staff .. from the doorman who warned me where to jog and where not to jog.. the reception staff friendly and helpful to the guest relations who noted a special birthday .... I was very happy at this Hotel ... 6 days of business and pleasure (we stayed over the weekend to mix work with fun)

Room Tip: nice, well equipped gym and sauna
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
PPCHLondon, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza County Hall London, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2012

Dear andyryder,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with other TripAdvisor readers. It is so great to read that all the team here at Park Plaza County Hall worked together to make your stay such a special one, and that you were able to combine a week of business with a weekend of fun!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 19 January 2012

I picked this hotel based on prior reviews, and I was not disappointed. I wanted a spacious room, in a great location, with wifi and a gym - which is exactly what I got. It was certainly worth the price! The room amenities were great as there was a microwave and a couple of dishes. The bed was particularly comfortable. I had trouble with the room temperature one night and was promptly assisted. The staff and concierge were very helpful! Although I presume that not all rooms have a view, our room had an amazing view of the Eye and Big Ben - which was wonderful for my family whose first time it was in London. The hotel is centrally located with both Westminster and Waterloo stations nearby. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends

Dear JourneysAndTravels,

Thank you for trusting the reviews that others have written on TripAdvisor. I am thrilled that we lived up to your expectations, and that you were able to make the most of so many of our fantastic facilities during your stay.

In our London Eye view rooms you are able to experience some of London's most amazing sights. Although not all of our rooms face in this direction, we do also have some rooms with panoramic views towards the city centre, showing sights such as the Gerkin Building and Canary Wharf.

We really appreciate your recommendations to others, and hope to see you and your family back in the future!