“Very short stay - looking forward to next time”

Park Plaza County Hall London
Ranked #234 of 1,069 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Hambledon, United Kingdom
“Very short stay - looking forward to next time”
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Sadly, due to a combination of work and South West Trains, I didn't get to the hotel until 9pm so only had a few awake hours to sample the delights of the Park Plaza. Hopefully next time I'll have a bit more time as it looks very nice and I'd love to enjoy more of the facililties.
All the staff I encountered were pleasant, welcoming and helpful and although room service didn't get my order quite right, the chap who brought the tray put things right happily. The bed was fabulously comfy and I really liked the room. I had a fabulous view of Waterloo Bridge and down into the atrium but despite this there was no sound pollution at all so slept soundly. Only one slight disappointment was that I think I left something behind in the room, and despite sending an email through the next day asking them to check, have still not received a reply back (4 days and counting...)

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
PPCHLondon, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza County Hall London, responded to this review, 31 January 2012
Dear Janetyjanet,

Hopefully the next time you stay with us the trains will be running on time, so that you are able to enjoy a much longer period spent experiencing everything that Park Plaza County Hall has to offer!

I was delighted to hear your positive comments regarding the team here, which I will most certainly pass onto them.

In regards to the lost property, if you could forward your email onto ppchgrm@pphe.com, I will be sure to follow this up immediately for you.

We hope to see you again soon!

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,101)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Stoke on Trent
Reviewed 29 January 2012

We booked this trip with friends for theater visit.Upon arrival,Eleanor on reception made our stay really special.We mentioned we had a birthday coming up and she upgraded us,sent a card and a bottle of wine,nothing was too much trouble .
The hotel is in a smashing location and great facilities.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Martin H
Dear Martin H,

Eleonora was thrilled to hear that she made such a positive impact to your stay recently.
We hope that your birthday was amazing, and that you all had an enjoyable time at the theatre.

We hope to welcome you and your friends back to Park Plaza County Hall for the next special occasion!

Doha, Qatar
Reviewed 29 January 2012

I stayed at this hotel 4 nights for my business trip, it was close to my work location, friendly staff (not all), Walking distance to London Eye.

It has laundry room complementary for the guests.

Room Tip: Make sure your room has a river or city view.
Dear Ali-Saleh,

As you have noted, we are conveniently located close to London's most sought after sights, and also within easy walking distance to many local and international businesses. We hope that this makes us the ideal choice, not only for our leisure guests, but also our valued business guests as well.

We hope to see you again when you are in London next on business or pleasure.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2012

From the moment we approached the revolving door and our luggage was taken by the doorman until check out we had excellent service and made to feel that nothing was too much problem, we travelled with a disabled friend and found the facilities were very good, looking forward to returning in February with our grandchildren.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking Waterloo station give fantastic views of trains arriving and departing, no noise t...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
PPCHLondon, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza County Hall London, responded to this review, 29 January 2012
Dear brendyloo,

Thank you so much for your amazing review regarding your three night stay with your family at Park Plaza County Hall!

We are delighted to hear that our accessible rooms met all the requirements of your friend, and that you also enjoyed the view in your room of London!

On a Saturday afternoon we have a Pizza School for kid's, where they are able to make their own pizza with our Chef's. I hope that your grandchildren are able to give this a go when they come to London with you, and we look forward to seeing you all soon!

Poulton Le Fylde, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2012

I would normally rate this hotel as a 4 (Very Good). However, the hotel has an absolutely fundamental problem of design - the majority of the bedrooms are arranged around a central atrium that features three open/glass lifts [elevators]. There is some noise from the restaurant at the floor of the atrium, but this is absolutely swamped by the exceptionally loud, frequent, and persistent banging from the lifts. I believe that this is a problem with the electro-mechanical switchgear and lift car drive and braking systems. Although the lifts look nice, and it is briefly interesting to ride in a glass elevator, I believe the design is a poor one - lifts like these are always, sooner or later, going to start making a lot of noise. They are also difficult to access for maintenance and repair. I believe the lifts have been making a lot of noise for quite a while now, although there seems to be some sort of 'code of silence' about it amongst the staff - half of the staff I asked about the noise pretended they hadn't heard it [until the next large bang a few seconds into the conversation, at which point they had to concede 'Oh...that noise..."], the other half indicated that it had been going on for weeks/months [perhaps longer?].

By the way, did I mention that the glass windows of the rooms onto the atrium seem to be single glazed [but nicely tinted in various shades] so your'e going to be able to enjoy the lift noise with little attenuation.

The effect of the noise, which carries on through the night is that if you're anything other than a heavy sleeper you're probably going to need earplugs. The first room I was given was next to the staff lifts AND the three noisy glass lifts - even though I had asked for a quiet room away from lifts etc. When checking in I wanted to avoid the "bing bong doors opening" announcements - I had no idea the lift mechanisms themselves were going to keep me awake, or that they could be heard wherever you are in the hotel.

I got moved to a quieter room - there are some of these, situated in a half-corridor off the main atrium - but teh lifts can still be heard in these rooms. For some reason, the new room was more like an apartment [bedroom/bathroom/mini-kitchen/lounge - most of the rooms at this hotel seem to be like this, and also at the Park Plaza Westminster, just across the road]. Bizarrely, the bedroom was off the room entrance door, followed by the bathroom/kitchenette, and then the lounge. Obviously, therefore, you are sleeping next to the door leading on to the banging-lift-atrium. Doh ! The lounge is much quieter [and cooler with respect to air-conditioning] - I suspect the rooms were originally the other way round. In the end I got the quilt off the bed and slept on the lounge floor. I had to do this because I couldn't use earplugs that first night as I had to be up for an unmissable appointment. Sleeping on the floor isn't what you normally expect at around £150 per night.

Another annoyance was that the access control system [the keycards] doesn't work too well - every day I had to go down to reception to get new keys programmed. In the end the hotel gave me a free bottle of wine to make up for some of the problems, which was nice of them.

Otherwise, the hotel is quite nice, but because of the noise problem I will avoid and stay at the Park Plaza Riverbank which, overall, is a much more comfortable hotel.

One final note, the bathroom glass shower panels leak over the bathroom floor. While I was there a ripping-out exercise seemed to be commencing/continuing in some adjacent rooms. Strange, because most of the furnishings seem quite new.

Room Tip: The best rooms are any not arranged around the main atrium.
1 Thank tigxytigxy
PPCHLondon, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza County Hall London, responded to this review, 30 January 2012
Dear tigxytigxy,

We welcome all feedback in regards to the hotel and service we provide, so thank you for your review regarding your stay.

I understand the frustration that you felt in regards to the noise experienced from the lifts during your stay, and would like to assure you that due to feedback such as yours, we are currently working with an external surveyor in order to find a suitable remedy. We hope that this will ensure even the lightest sleeper in the hotel will have a good nights rest whilst staying with us.

As you have mentioned, this will not be an easy task due to the design of our elevators, however, we are determined to find an acceptable solution as soon as possible.

Once again, thank you for your review. I would like to reassure you that we are addressing all the points that you have raised, in order to improve our product for all our guests. We hope that we are able to welcome you back to Park Plaza County Hall in the future.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2012

I love this hotel. The staff were so friendly. The room had a great view, clean, and loved the fact there was a seperate shower and bath. The bed was really comfy and blackout curtains that actually blacked out the room.
Great location for all the London attractions, we walked everywhere. Having stayed in alot of hotels I never eat in them as I like to find the local restaurant that isn't in a chain. However after an exhausting day we decided to eat in the hotel reasturant, the best food I have eaten for a long time with great service, I was very impressed.
In summary a brilliant stay, we have already booked our return visit.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rockett21
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2012

My partner and I travelled up to the Park Plaza early on a saturday morning to make the most of our weekend as we'd booked into the Park Plaza for Sat night. We booked an Exectutive room and were very impressed with it. The room had stunning views of the London Eye and was well decorated, with a mini kitchen and seperate lounge area. We were really impressed and were made to feel very welcome when we checked in. We were even shown up to our room which was lovely! We stayed in the hotel for dinner and ate at the 'Spectra' restaurant. The food was delicious and the service throughout the meal was excellent. We felt cared for and anything we needed was taken care of. After dinner we went down to the bar area to have cocktails which were brilliant! The bar men were very skilled and throughly entertaining! The breakfast the next morning was busy but then again we did hit it at rush hour! But there was so much food!! Pancakes, (my favourite!) muffins, full cooked English, contnental, juices, make-your-own-milkshakes, pastries, fruit, anything pretty much you could want for breakfast!! We ate our fill! Check out was simple and easy and we were sorry to leave! Overall staying at the County Hall really made our visit and we'll definately be going back!!

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the London Eye - breath-taking!!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bex077
PPCHLondon, Front Office Manager at Park Plaza County Hall London, responded to this review, 26 January 2012
Dear Bex077

As I read your review I could feel how much you enjoyed your stay with us. from the stunning veiws to the excellent cocktails and entertaining bar staff. I am sure the Chef will be happy to hear your comments regarding the food at dinner and breakfast not forgetting the pancakes!

Reviews such as yours are always good to read and will be passed on to all of our teams.

Kind regards