“Fantastic hotel and thoroughly enjoyed my stay”

Park Plaza County Hall London
Ranked #225 of 1,089 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Doncaster
“Fantastic hotel and thoroughly enjoyed my stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

Nothing to complain about with the hotel in the slightest. From checking in to leaving the next morning the whole experience was a delight. I stayed in a studio room and it was fantastic with a great view and everything i could need or want within the room.

Definitely recommended.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
PPCHLondon, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza County Hall London, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Dickieright

Thank you for your time in sharing this spot-on review!

Best wishes from the entire team at Park Plaza County Hall and we invite you to visit us again very soon!

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,073)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Yorkshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

Room was clean and tidy but the bathroom had faults which although did not detract from our stay should have been spotted by staff. I basically was doing their job by suggesting that the showerhead be cleaned or replaced so it acted like a rainfall rather than spurting out at all angles. The soap tray in the shower needed refixing as it was hanging loose and the rod was missing from the pop-up plug. I wouldn't have bothered to mention these items but a housekeeping manager was in the room when we returned and asked if everything was Ok. She was most attentive and got on to maintenance who called me and I advised them what was required but I requested they do it after we had checked out the next day.

Breakfast was taken mid session and quite disappointing. I know it is difficult for restaurants but I have had much better meals in far cheaper establishments. Be wary of the plate heater which could burn as it had clearly been turned on early and left on high. Oven gloves needed to handle plates.

Chef was great, selected warm plates. Eggs fried to perfection. Black pudding was dry and tasteless.

Italian dinner - tiramisu recipe had vital ingredient missing - Marsala. If it was there it couldn't be tasted. We sent it back.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice place to stay and the views great (we were happy overlooking Waterloo with the Shard and Canary Wharf in the distance), but one would expect a little more attention to detail for the price.

Other contributors have complained about allocation of internal rooms which the Management have been too polite to point out that the information is there online. "Some of them with atrium view".

Also, whilst it does say "superior room", that really is a misnomer as it is the lowest class of room available. I wonder if PP can say what it is superior to.

Floor to ceiling windows are great.

Recommend the express online checkout but make sure you do it as the very last thing you do.

Let me be a mystery shopper PP!

Room Tip: Read the room description carefully before you book. Nothing is hidden but too many people fail to...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Yorksgent

Thank you for your constructive feedback following your stay with us at Park Plaza County Hall.

Please accept my deepest apologies for what might have looked like a lack of caring and attention here at the property. I am highly concerned to read of your disappointment with your breakfast experience and the maintenance issues you experienced with your room and I am sorry too that the meal you had in the restaurant did not suit your taste. This is clearly unacceptable, and as you rightly point out, should have been picked up prior to your arrival and also during your stay.

We call our rooms 'Superior Doubles' simply because they are more spacious than what you would ordinarily find in other hotel standard double rooms. In addition, they are generously equipped with other amenities such as minibars, microwaves and various crockery for self service.

Your experience runs contrary to the views expressed by may of our guests. We however know that we can never rest on our laurels and it is through valuable feedback such as yours that points us in areas where we need to improve. Please rest assured that your comments have already been followed up directly by the team. Once again, I am grateful for your time and effort in writing this review. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly on btavaya@pphe.com to arrange a more impressive second visit.

Camberley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

Arrived at the hotel with a group of friends to celebrate a couple of special birthdays. We had emailed in advance asking if we could have a couple of rooms with good views. We checked in and 10 mins later were told that one of our rooms was ready for us. The receptionist made a joke about it having great views and two bathrooms....imagine our surprise when we realised that we had been upgraded to one of the penthouse suites!
Thank you Park Plaza for that..I cannot tell you how amazing it felt to look out over the whole of London. But that was not all that made this hotel special. The second room also had a great view and in both rooms the standard of decor, fittings and linen was great.
Room service at midnight and in the morning was exceptionally fast. All the staff, room service, reception, concierge and doorman were pleasant and helpful.
Looking at some other reviews, clearly you need to avoid rooms in the Atrium area and address issues you have during your stay not when you are leaving!!
My friends and I would definitely stay here again and recommend it as it provides a perfect location for a visit to London.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
PPCHLondon, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza County Hall London, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
brollycat

What a fantastic review!

I am so happy we were able to upgrade you to one of our lovely penthouse rooms overlooking London city and what a great way to celebrate your special birthdays in style.

We look forward to seeing you in future.

Kind Regards

Bradley Werb

Plymouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

When my party checked out last weekend I discussed some issues with reception, who promised me a call from the general manager on the Monday, which didn't materialise. Simon Mahon, you had your chance to respond to my issues but you let me down. Is the hotel busy enough that you don't care about customers not coming back?

Avoid the suites that open onto the balcony corridor overlooking the restaurant area. Our lounge area was at the far (window) end and so our bedroom was closest to the door. I was woken three times by noise funnelling up from the mezzanine floor: dropped crockery, loud voices, cutlery being slammed down on tables for the next day's breakfast. Parents slept well but they were in a different area.

The bar area gets extremely busy late afternoon and my elderly mother desperately needed to sit down: she cannot physically get on a bar stool. Only when I insisted - and we occupied a table on the edge of the main dining area in the face of staff reluctance - were we able to order tea. We were made to feel very unwelcome.

And what a rip-off the tea was. I ordered two pots and we were brought a big pot to share, which in the event only contained enough for one cup each and a dribble over - for just under £8! And they had the nerve to add 12.5% service charge!

Worst of all is the staff's utter ignorance of special dietary needs. Gluten free is not exactly an unusual request and yet they tried to tell us that we were fine with the sausages etc. and that the toast was all gluten free - the only thing we could not have was the scrambled egg. Well this was so obviously wrong that I called for the supervisor and it turns out the catering staff thought gluten free meant no dairy ingredients! Had I taken the initial comments about the sausages at face value then two of us would have been seriously ill for days.

For a poor night's sleep and potentially dangerous ignorance of the catering staff I cannot see that this hotel can justify their price premium. Yes it was clean and nicely furnished but I felt that the overall experience was not what I would be entitled to expect at the price.

One unqualified thumbs-up for the lovely, friendly, reception and door staff.

Room Tip: Avoid the suites accessed from the balconies that overlook the mezzanine restaurant. Noisy.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
PPCHLondon, General Manager at Park Plaza County Hall London, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dear Devon1964

I am truly sorry to hear about the issues you experienced during your recent stay with us at Park Plaza County Hall. I am very interested in any complaint, however I genuinely didn’t know about your issues otherwise I would have acted straight away. My sincere apologies for this.

I can see from your comments on tripadvisor we have failed on our normally high level of service on more than one occasion during your stay.

It’s of the upmost importance we address this correctly, and I would like the opportunity to discuss this with you. If you could please contact me on 0207021 1800 or via email at smahon@pphe.com.

Once again, my apologies, and I look forward to your call or email.

Kind Regards

Simon Mahon

West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

Check in was the simplest I've had for years / just check and sign the form.
My room was ready at 1pm so able to get to work straight away.
In room wifi excellent and worked perfectly with both iPhone and iPad.
Plenty of tea and coffee with milk arriving within minutes of me asking for some.
Good nights sleep on a comfortable bed.
Didn't have breakfast as wanting to head back to Yorkshire early.
Will certainly come back,

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
PPCHLondon, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza County Hall London, responded to this review, 24 November 2013
Yorkshire 1245

Thank you so much for the straightforward and excellent review! The team and I are delighted to see everything was seamless for you.

Please do come back, and enjoy our delightful breakfast selection too!

We certainly look forward to seeing you again.

Derby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

I love the Park plaza hotels normally but this time was disappointed. Room 922 overlooked the central atrium like many others and was an upgraded room with a lounge and bedroom. Unfortunately the bedroom was next to the door in the room which overlooks the atrium and the noise from the lifts kept me awake for most of the night. They were constantly clanging loudly and echoing around the central atrium. I can imagine this would effect all of the rooms overlooking the atrium. A real shame and it kept me awake late into the night and woke me early. Lamp was broken and the little milk cartons were all off also. I did not think that that was possible if they were UHT

Room Tip: I had Room 922 overlooking main central atrium. Ask to not overlook this if you are a light sleeper
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Rodders1964
Rodders 1964

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us, however, I am very disappointed to hear that it was not to your satisfaction.

I am also very sorry to hear that you were kept awake by the noise from the lifts. Our studio rooms have two variations, some with the bedroom near the door and others with the bedroom near the window. Many of our guests do prefer either of the variations. I am therefore deeply sorry to see you were dissatisfied with your room, as I am convinced we would have immediately found a room to match your expectations had this been brought to our attention.

I do apologise again for the inconvenience caused and hope to welcome you back to Park Plaza County Hall for a more impressive second visit.

Swansea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

This is the earlier Park Plaza with the swanky - more expensive - version across the road from it. Nothing special from the road but good restaurant and rooms large (if you go for the superior suite style that I've stayed in). Avoid being close to lifts.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
PPCHLondon, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza County Hall London, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Alwaystravels1

Many thanks for taking the time to post your feedback following your recent stay with us at Park Plaza County Hall. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and found that all aspects of your stay met your expectations.

All the best and we look forward to seeing you again.