“Great Hotel with Not So Great Bathroom”

Park Plaza County Hall London
Ranked #232 of 1,063 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Great Hotel with Not So Great Bathroom”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I stayed here from November 19 - 22, 2013 with my friend based from the recommendation from our friend. I came from Singapore and went directly to our hotel. We got there by 9 and was quite surprised that our room was ready. After a fast and efficient check in we were whisked away to our room. The room is clean and tidy. Wifi (free) connection in our room was also very fast. But we were disappointed with the bathroom. It was super clean but the shower and the bathtub used a very tiny glass that barely covered the shower. Resulting in our bathroom being flooded after we took shower. There is an iron board inside the room (which is good). The location of the hotel is also another bonus point for us. 5 minutes walk to Waterloo station (both the tube and the nation railway). 5 minutes walk to London Eye and 10 minutes walk to Westminster Bridge. The staffs were also very friendly and very helpful. They attend to your requests in a very fast and efficient ways. I really enjoyed my stay there.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
PPCHLondon, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza County Hall London, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
MikieMikey

Many thanks for taking the time to post your feedback following your recent stay with us at Park Plaza County Hall. I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found that all aspects of your stay met your expectations. I am sorry about the faulty bathroom door, which resulted in your room being flooded. This should have been picked up prior to your arrival, but thank you for highlighting this to us.

I have passed on your kind words to our team at the hotel who I am sure will appreciate your feedback. We look forward to seeing you again.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,081)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Essex,UK
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Arrived with 4 friends, to celebrate one of the chaps birthday. I had email prior to our visit, and told them about the "special" birthday, and when we checked in, the receptionist asked who's birthday it was, then made a fuss of the birthday boy!! We all had lovely rooms, with the birthday boy having balloons, a card and wine left for him!! They also had a view out over the Eye.
The other 4 of us had 2 really nice rooms, with a lounge area, two tvs, kitchenette area. None of us could fault the rooms, and when asked for extra milk and coffee, it was given with no fuss.Rooms were clean and very comfortable. I can see how the atrium view rooms could be noisier, biut a lot of hotels seem to have this arrangement now.
Breakfast was good, however they seemed to be a little slow to replenish plates, milk, so foods etc, and like someone else said, you needed asbestos hands to handle the "warmed" plates!!
All staff, except for one "porter" who was very "off" when I asked a question, were absolutely lovely.
Fabulous position, and we really couldn't fault our stay. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Try for a room with an outside view.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
PPCHLondon, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza County Hall London, responded to this review, 1 December 2013
Ctietjen

Thank you for such wonderful feedback!

Our guests are what matters the most to us. We genuinely love to exceeded expectations, and I am delighted the choice of Park Plaza County Hall for you and your mates proved to be an excellent one!

I trust we will be top of your list next time another birthday is around the corner. All the best from the entire team at Park Plaza County Hall and we look forward to your return visit.

Guest Relations Manger
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

on 15th November 2013, 14 of us came to London for a works day/night out. The hotel was everything we could of asked for and more. Andre and his team were so welcoming and lovely on arrival. All the staff were smiling, happy and could not help us enough (we didn't even press our own buttons for the lift). The gentleman outside were always welcomed, and sorted cabs for us with a minutes notice.

The rooms were beautiful, spotlessly clean and looked lovely. one of the girls and forgotten toothpaste and another a toothbrush and it took all of 15 seconds for someone to come knocking on our door with both! A staff member came and made up the sofa bed for us perfectly, and we left for the dungeons (which are brilliant and right round the corner)

On our return, everybody was so welcoming again and after freshening up, we all went for a drink in the bar before we left for a restaurant. The bar/ waiting staff were attentive and kind, and the complimentary nuts and popcorn were gorgeous (i need to know where they're from!)

We all went out for the night, and a few of us came back around 1am for a drink at the bar, which again was a great atmosphere and service. Room service is available in your room 24 hours and the food is delicious (we had pizza and fish finger sandwiches which were delicious)

the breakfast was delicious. They never ran out of a thing and were even topping up coffee without you having to move.

All in all, we had an absolutely brilliant stay and i would recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone! The service is second to none.

Thank you so much for looking after us so well while we were there.

All of the team at Adele Carr

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
PPCHLondon, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza County Hall London, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Alicia L

Thank you soooo much for such words of praise regarding our high standards of service. Our utmost reward is indeed to hear our guests satisfied and the team and I are absolutely thrilled you have found us excellent in every aspect of your visit.

Thank you also for recommend Park Plaza County Hall to your colleagues, friends and family. We all look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Blessing Tavaya,

Doncaster
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Nothing to complain about with the hotel in the slightest. From checking in to leaving the next morning the whole experience was a delight. I stayed in a studio room and it was fantastic with a great view and everything i could need or want within the room.

Definitely recommended.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
PPCHLondon, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza County Hall London, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Dickieright

Thank you for your time in sharing this spot-on review!

Best wishes from the entire team at Park Plaza County Hall and we invite you to visit us again very soon!

Yorkshire
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Room was clean and tidy but the bathroom had faults which although did not detract from our stay should have been spotted by staff. I basically was doing their job by suggesting that the showerhead be cleaned or replaced so it acted like a rainfall rather than spurting out at all angles. The soap tray in the shower needed refixing as it was hanging loose and the rod was missing from the pop-up plug. I wouldn't have bothered to mention these items but a housekeeping manager was in the room when we returned and asked if everything was Ok. She was most attentive and got on to maintenance who called me and I advised them what was required but I requested they do it after we had checked out the next day.

Breakfast was taken mid session and quite disappointing. I know it is difficult for restaurants but I have had much better meals in far cheaper establishments. Be wary of the plate heater which could burn as it had clearly been turned on early and left on high. Oven gloves needed to handle plates.

Chef was great, selected warm plates. Eggs fried to perfection. Black pudding was dry and tasteless.

Italian dinner - tiramisu recipe had vital ingredient missing - Marsala. If it was there it couldn't be tasted. We sent it back.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice place to stay and the views great (we were happy overlooking Waterloo with the Shard and Canary Wharf in the distance), but one would expect a little more attention to detail for the price.

Other contributors have complained about allocation of internal rooms which the Management have been too polite to point out that the information is there online. "Some of them with atrium view".

Also, whilst it does say "superior room", that really is a misnomer as it is the lowest class of room available. I wonder if PP can say what it is superior to.

Floor to ceiling windows are great.

Recommend the express online checkout but make sure you do it as the very last thing you do.

Let me be a mystery shopper PP!

Room Tip: Read the room description carefully before you book. Nothing is hidden but too many people fail to...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Yorksgent

Thank you for your constructive feedback following your stay with us at Park Plaza County Hall.

Please accept my deepest apologies for what might have looked like a lack of caring and attention here at the property. I am highly concerned to read of your disappointment with your breakfast experience and the maintenance issues you experienced with your room and I am sorry too that the meal you had in the restaurant did not suit your taste. This is clearly unacceptable, and as you rightly point out, should have been picked up prior to your arrival and also during your stay.

We call our rooms 'Superior Doubles' simply because they are more spacious than what you would ordinarily find in other hotel standard double rooms. In addition, they are generously equipped with other amenities such as minibars, microwaves and various crockery for self service.

Your experience runs contrary to the views expressed by may of our guests. We however know that we can never rest on our laurels and it is through valuable feedback such as yours that points us in areas where we need to improve. Please rest assured that your comments have already been followed up directly by the team. Once again, I am grateful for your time and effort in writing this review. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly on btavaya@pphe.com to arrange a more impressive second visit.

Camberley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Arrived at the hotel with a group of friends to celebrate a couple of special birthdays. We had emailed in advance asking if we could have a couple of rooms with good views. We checked in and 10 mins later were told that one of our rooms was ready for us. The receptionist made a joke about it having great views and two bathrooms....imagine our surprise when we realised that we had been upgraded to one of the penthouse suites!
Thank you Park Plaza for that..I cannot tell you how amazing it felt to look out over the whole of London. But that was not all that made this hotel special. The second room also had a great view and in both rooms the standard of decor, fittings and linen was great.
Room service at midnight and in the morning was exceptionally fast. All the staff, room service, reception, concierge and doorman were pleasant and helpful.
Looking at some other reviews, clearly you need to avoid rooms in the Atrium area and address issues you have during your stay not when you are leaving!!
My friends and I would definitely stay here again and recommend it as it provides a perfect location for a visit to London.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
PPCHLondon, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza County Hall London, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
brollycat

What a fantastic review!

I am so happy we were able to upgrade you to one of our lovely penthouse rooms overlooking London city and what a great way to celebrate your special birthdays in style.

We look forward to seeing you in future.

Kind Regards

Bradley Werb

Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2013

When my party checked out last weekend I discussed some issues with reception, who promised me a call from the general manager on the Monday, which didn't materialise. Simon Mahon, you had your chance to respond to my issues but you let me down. Is the hotel busy enough that you don't care about customers not coming back?

Avoid the suites that open onto the balcony corridor overlooking the restaurant area. Our lounge area was at the far (window) end and so our bedroom was closest to the door. I was woken three times by noise funnelling up from the mezzanine floor: dropped crockery, loud voices, cutlery being slammed down on tables for the next day's breakfast. Parents slept well but they were in a different area.

The bar area gets extremely busy late afternoon and my elderly mother desperately needed to sit down: she cannot physically get on a bar stool. Only when I insisted - and we occupied a table on the edge of the main dining area in the face of staff reluctance - were we able to order tea. We were made to feel very unwelcome.

And what a rip-off the tea was. I ordered two pots and we were brought a big pot to share, which in the event only contained enough for one cup each and a dribble over - for just under £8! And they had the nerve to add 12.5% service charge!

Worst of all is the staff's utter ignorance of special dietary needs. Gluten free is not exactly an unusual request and yet they tried to tell us that we were fine with the sausages etc. and that the toast was all gluten free - the only thing we could not have was the scrambled egg. Well this was so obviously wrong that I called for the supervisor and it turns out the catering staff thought gluten free meant no dairy ingredients! Had I taken the initial comments about the sausages at face value then two of us would have been seriously ill for days.

For a poor night's sleep and potentially dangerous ignorance of the catering staff I cannot see that this hotel can justify their price premium. Yes it was clean and nicely furnished but I felt that the overall experience was not what I would be entitled to expect at the price.

One unqualified thumbs-up for the lovely, friendly, reception and door staff.

Room Tip: Avoid the suites accessed from the balconies that overlook the mezzanine restaurant. Noisy.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
PPCHLondon, General Manager at Park Plaza County Hall London, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dear Devon1964

I am truly sorry to hear about the issues you experienced during your recent stay with us at Park Plaza County Hall. I am very interested in any complaint, however I genuinely didn’t know about your issues otherwise I would have acted straight away. My sincere apologies for this.

I can see from your comments on tripadvisor we have failed on our normally high level of service on more than one occasion during your stay.

It’s of the upmost importance we address this correctly, and I would like the opportunity to discuss this with you. If you could please contact me on 0207021 1800 or via email at smahon@pphe.com.

Once again, my apologies, and I look forward to your call or email.

Kind Regards