“Comfortable and good location.”

Park Plaza County Hall London
Ranked #227 of 1,063 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Canberra, Australia
“Comfortable and good location.”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We booked a Junior Executive Suite for our family of four and found it comfortable if a little cramped. The layout consisted of a large bed for two in the bedroom and a large foldout sofa bed for two in the lounge room.

There was a decent-sized bathroom in between the two rooms with a pretty weird shower that flooded all over the floor if you weren't careful. The shower was good though and there was a bath as well.

The kitchen area was just a sink, a tiny third of the bar fridge and some tea/coffee making stuff. It was okay though for storing a bit of yoghurt and other breakfasty things.

We were on the 10th floor with a view over the Waterloo train station. Check in and check out went very smoothly.

The only fly in the ointment was the vouchers the kind check-in lady gave the kids. They were worth 1 pound each if spent in the hotel and she suggested the cocktail bar as they did kids' cocktails. We thought that was a brilliant idea and after a long day out we went to the cocktail bar around 9pm planning on getting the kids to bed straight after. The snooty waiter informed us the vouchers couldn't be used after 8.30pm despite there being no such waiver on the vouchers themselves. We ordered the kids a cocktail each anyway rather than disappoint them (6 pounds each) and joined them with our own. The total bill came to 41 pounds for 5 drinks (yes, London is horribly expensive) but I was really unimpressed to see the waiter had added a discretionary service charge of 12% bumping the price up to 46 pounds. This is not America!! After paying the equivalent of $80 for 5 drinks, I thought the hotel had made more than enough profit from us and used my discretion not to pay the extra.

The location was very, very good. It was a short walk to Waterloo and Westminster stations. And a lot of things were within walking distance. We arrived from Gatwick via train and then taxi but chanced the tube to Heathrow on the way home. Both worked out okay.

Overall a good stay. Expensive but about average for London and the type of hotel it is.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank TravellingSpartz
PPCHLondon, Front Office Manager at Park Plaza County Hall London, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Thank you for the review. Its sound from your review that you stayed in one of our executive rooms with the Sink, Microwave, Nespresso coffee machine and other facilities designed for families.

I'm sorry the kids could not use the vouchers on the night, as part of the family packs we do offer vouchers and other items as part of a gift bag, the instructions on the welcome note do specify the times they can be used as we try to ensure that families and couples can use all hotel facilities in harmony and get the best of the hotel during the stay. I do hope they got to use them in the end or keep them with you as you can always use them on another visit to the hotel.

Andre Read-Kontou

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,081)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I booked this hotel strictly based on my allegiance to Carlson properties, the location and the rating on Trip Advisor. From the moment of check in until check out, I greatly enjoyed my stay there and look forward to staying again when in London. I will let my photos do most of the talking but while the hotel was unassuming on the outside, they make up for it on the inside.

As a Club Carlson Gold member, check in was quick and they were able to upgrade me to a very nice junior suite on the 3rd floor. This was quite the surprise as I didn't expect much more then an upgrade to a room with a view. The hotel room was modern yet very comfortable. My only issues were the lack of wireless connectivity from the bedroom area and the lack of a proper desk to do work. I mean there was a desk to do work on but it also doubled as the TV stand in the living room severely limiting my space for my laptop and papers. However, everything else about the room was perfect and was very lucky to be where I was.

During my stay, I did not try any the restaurant or bar or any other amenities of the hotel. The location was arguably one of the best in London due to proximity to the local attractions, Tube stops and train station. The staff were also all excellent in terms of handling any needs I had during my stay. I look forward to staying here next time my plans take me to London.

Room Tip: High floor
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank MrInternational702
Thank you for the great review and the pictures. As a Club Carlson member we do try our best to offer an upgrade or a preferable room to our guests to help enjoy the stay with us a little more.

I have passed your feedback to our housekeeping team to see if we can mount the TV on the wall and reclaim a little more of the desk back.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Roding
Reviewed 10 July 2014

The Hotel is wonderful - I keep coming back whenever I'm in London! The rooms and friendly and modern with a lot of light and a good color scheme. Everything still looks pretty new. Especially the studios are worth to invest a few Pounds more! Breakfast is good Hotel standard but nothing out of the way.
Even the Sofa, converted to an extra Bed was great to sleep on!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

Dear Petra H,

Thank you for the review. Its nice to hear we are your choice while in the Capital. When your next in London we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stayed one night at the hotel for a business trip. Room was okay, bathroom pretty small and shower/bath valve was not working that well: temperature setting knob was difficult to move and had unclear indication. One valve to switch between bath tap, hand shower and ceiling shower but without explanation or indication. Keycard was faulty so had to return to reception to get it changed. Friendly service.

Friendly service in the italian restaurant too but the food is tasteless. Even though the chef is italian, the food is lightyears away from italian food in Italy. I tried a starter (horrible fried mozzarella), a pasta (taste like water) and a pizza (mushrooms from a tin can???). I believe the main problem here is the poor quality of ingredients.

Plenty restaurants closeby along the river and that's where i will be eating next time.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Friso2014
PPCHLondon, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza County Hall London, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Friso2014,

I am sorry to hear that your stay with us was not pleasant. I hope the issues you had within the hotel room were fixed successfully and without further disruption to your stay.

As for the food, I am very sorry that the food was not up to our high standard.

Thank you very much for the kind comments about the service both on reception and in the restaurant. We hope you stay here with us does not hinder you from thinking of staying with us again.

Kind regards

Brad Werb

Guest Relations Manager
North west England
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Stayed at this hotel in July for a 2 night weekend break with my 15 year old daughter and her friend. I had been before so knew to book a studio room which allows plenty of space with a large double bed for the girls to share and a very comfortable sofa bed. The small kitchenette arrangement in the room is a bonus and as previously everything was very clean and comfortable. 2 tvs so I had my own space and telly. We booked b&b which includes continental breakfast, good selection of fruit, juices, cereals, breads and pastries. For an additional price you can have English breakfast but we didn't bother. The staff at this hotel are without exception very friendly and helpful, found this on our previous visit too which was why we came again. We had a bar snack and drinks in the ground floor lounge bar whilst we were there very good service and decent choice of bar food reasonably priced. The hotel is in a great location right by county hall and the London eye, 5 minute walk across the bridge and you are at the Houses of Parliament. There are some local restaurants nearby as well as a Slug and Lettuce and All Bar One, Starbucks on corner too. For a big city centre hotel it is really friendly and welcoming and I will definitely visit again when in London.

Room Tip: Our room was overlooking Waterloo on 5th floor and was quiet
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Julnw
It is great to read your review, as a previous guest with us its fantastic to read we are still providing the service to our guests that we aim for and that it keeps you coming back.

Hope to see you in the future,

Reviewed 8 July 2014

This was our first trip to London and we could not have been any happier with the location of this hotel. It was just steps from all of London's most beautiful landmarks. We even had a fabulous view of Big Ben and Westminister Abbey from our hotel room window. The service was very friendly and the room was a nice size. Great choice for a fun London leisure holiday.

Room Tip: Our room did not really overlook the Thames River but we still had a great view of the London Eye an...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear reniecarroll1,

Thank you for the review. The hotels location we agree is a great part of London and gives our guests a fantastic base to explore the city,

Norfolk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Lovely hotel, well worth the price. We visited on 21st june and took my elderly parents, All the staff werevery helpful and couteous. Breakfast was brought to the room as requested and we all had a lovely stay. i will tell you my Mother complains about everything!! but even she said how nice it was.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the city, the other side of the building is the train station (unless you...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear HelenandDan2014,

Thank you very much for your kind words about our hotel! I am very pleased to see you and your mother had a lovely time with us.

On behalf of the team, thank you for your kind words about them, I look forward to passing on the message.

Thank you for spending time writing such a positive review for us and we look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Kind regards