“Great location”

GreenLeadersGold level
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

Our family of 4 stayed 3 nights. Overall a great hotel but the strong smell of air freshener as you walked through the revolving doors hit you like a ton of bricks. Made us wonder if they were hiding something. Besides that, a great stay. Would have been even greater if the pull out bed wasn't so cheap. Very uncomfortable. But we didn't hear a peep while we were there which was a huge bonus! Hard to believe when we were in such a bustling location. Staff was absolutely wonderful. Nice breakfast! And the location couldn't be beat for us first timers to London.

1 Thank AJR840
PPCHLondon, Front Office Manager at Park Plaza County Hall London, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear AJR840,

Thank you for the review. The hotel has recently trailed a new scent for the public areas and your feedback is greatly appreciated.
All our Studio rooms have a queen size bed and a double sofa bed for families to enjoy. If the bed was not as comfortable please let us know and we can change the mattress for you as we do have different types to meet all our guests needs and preferences.
Thank you for the wonderful comments about the team and I will pass these on to them.

Look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when in London again.

Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,073)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

This was a wonderful & accommodating classy hotel. The three of us fit well & loved the view! They have the best customer service. It is great for kids too! The staff was courteous & great with directions to local sites for tourists. The food was great and love how clean this hotel is! I will request to stay here on our next trip.

Stayed February 2014
Dear Jennifer F,

On behalf of the team thank you for the great review. Its our aim to ensure that guests have a great stay and the areas you mention are great to read as it shows we doing it right.

Metro Washington DC Area
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

Our 3-person family stayed here for a recent 9-day trip to London. Our junior suite was comfortable, but probably would have been cramped with an additional person given that we had a fair amount of luggage (I'd been in London for work for a week and had 2 large suitcases). Two pieces of information I wish we'd had: (1) There is no door between the bedroom and the lounge room; and (2) you can't really use the refrigerator in the suite b/c it's the minibar and you're charged whenever you move an item.

We had a glitch on arrival that really could have been awful, namely, we arrived at our room only to find it occupied due to a mixup at the front desk. Management handled the situation very well - sent us to the bar and bought us drinks and snacks while they found another room and then sent us a bottle of wine.

View from our room (8th floor) was the London Eye. Hotel was very clean, water pressure was great, and free wifi worked very well.

We only ate breakfast at the hotel twice - partly because it was so crowded and partly because it was much cheaper to grab something at the Starbucks around the corner. Breakfast was good, though. I didn't eat dinner at the hotel, but my husband and son did and thought it was good.

The location was, for us, the best feature of the hotel. It's next to Waterloo station, a 5-minute walk to the Westminster Bridge, and a 10-minute walk to the Jubilee bridge. There's a Starbucks about 2 minutes away along with several other restaurants (the Middle Eastern one was quite good). Several grocery stores are nearby.

We'd definitely return and will keep an eye out for other properties in the chain during our travels.

4 Thank KristinaR007
Dear KristinaR007,

Thank you for the review on your recent stay with us. It sounds like your family had a great stay and enjoyed the views. All our rooms do have minibars as well as a separated section for personal items so you can store anything during your stay. All studio rooms are open plan but we do have rooms with separated doors which would be the penthouse suites.

If you find yourself in London we would be delighted to welcome you back.

Regard
Bahrain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

I wasn't able to get a reservation at the "better" Park Plaza Westminster Hotel, however this hotel was good. The room I was given was on the top floor with a great view. It was a very good size, with a sitting room, kitchenette and good sized bedroom. The hotel was clean and the location was great. It is walking distance from the London Eye and Big Ben. The reception area was very small and tends to get crowded, and I understand this is where the PP Westminster is better, however this hotel was perfectly fine.

Room Tip: Top floor has the newer bigger rooms
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear AK_BAH,

Park Plaza County Hall is aimed as a family hotel with our larger rooms and great location. The hotel along side Park Plaza Westminster bridge are two different hotels that offer guests a different experience.
Its great to read that you enjoyed the larger rooms and views which make our hotel such a popular destination.

Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

We booked a Junior Executive Suite for our family of four and found it comfortable if a little cramped. The layout consisted of a large bed for two in the bedroom and a large foldout sofa bed for two in the lounge room.

There was a decent-sized bathroom in between the two rooms with a pretty weird shower that flooded all over the floor if you weren't careful. The shower was good though and there was a bath as well.

The kitchen area was just a sink, a tiny third of the bar fridge and some tea/coffee making stuff. It was okay though for storing a bit of yoghurt and other breakfasty things.

We were on the 10th floor with a view over the Waterloo train station. Check in and check out went very smoothly.

The only fly in the ointment was the vouchers the kind check-in lady gave the kids. They were worth 1 pound each if spent in the hotel and she suggested the cocktail bar as they did kids' cocktails. We thought that was a brilliant idea and after a long day out we went to the cocktail bar around 9pm planning on getting the kids to bed straight after. The snooty waiter informed us the vouchers couldn't be used after 8.30pm despite there being no such waiver on the vouchers themselves. We ordered the kids a cocktail each anyway rather than disappoint them (6 pounds each) and joined them with our own. The total bill came to 41 pounds for 5 drinks (yes, London is horribly expensive) but I was really unimpressed to see the waiter had added a discretionary service charge of 12% bumping the price up to 46 pounds. This is not America!! After paying the equivalent of $80 for 5 drinks, I thought the hotel had made more than enough profit from us and used my discretion not to pay the extra.

The location was very, very good. It was a short walk to Waterloo and Westminster stations. And a lot of things were within walking distance. We arrived from Gatwick via train and then taxi but chanced the tube to Heathrow on the way home. Both worked out okay.

Overall a good stay. Expensive but about average for London and the type of hotel it is.

1 Thank TravellingSpartz
Thank you for the review. Its sound from your review that you stayed in one of our executive rooms with the Sink, Microwave, Nespresso coffee machine and other facilities designed for families.

I'm sorry the kids could not use the vouchers on the night, as part of the family packs we do offer vouchers and other items as part of a gift bag, the instructions on the welcome note do specify the times they can be used as we try to ensure that families and couples can use all hotel facilities in harmony and get the best of the hotel during the stay. I do hope they got to use them in the end or keep them with you as you can always use them on another visit to the hotel.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

I booked this hotel strictly based on my allegiance to Carlson properties, the location and the rating on Trip Advisor. From the moment of check in until check out, I greatly enjoyed my stay there and look forward to staying again when in London. I will let my photos do most of the talking but while the hotel was unassuming on the outside, they make up for it on the inside.

As a Club Carlson Gold member, check in was quick and they were able to upgrade me to a very nice junior suite on the 3rd floor. This was quite the surprise as I didn't expect much more then an upgrade to a room with a view. The hotel room was modern yet very comfortable. My only issues were the lack of wireless connectivity from the bedroom area and the lack of a proper desk to do work. I mean there was a desk to do work on but it also doubled as the TV stand in the living room severely limiting my space for my laptop and papers. However, everything else about the room was perfect and was very lucky to be where I was.

During my stay, I did not try any the restaurant or bar or any other amenities of the hotel. The location was arguably one of the best in London due to proximity to the local attractions, Tube stops and train station. The staff were also all excellent in terms of handling any needs I had during my stay. I look forward to staying here next time my plans take me to London.

Room Tip: High floor
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank MrInternational702
Thank you for the great review and the pictures. As a Club Carlson member we do try our best to offer an upgrade or a preferable room to our guests to help enjoy the stay with us a little more.

I have passed your feedback to our housekeeping team to see if we can mount the TV on the wall and reclaim a little more of the desk back.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Roding
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

The Hotel is wonderful - I keep coming back whenever I'm in London! The rooms and friendly and modern with a lot of light and a good color scheme. Everything still looks pretty new. Especially the studios are worth to invest a few Pounds more! Breakfast is good Hotel standard but nothing out of the way.
Even the Sofa, converted to an extra Bed was great to sleep on!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

Dear Petra H,

Thank you for the review. Its nice to hear we are your choice while in the Capital. When your next in London we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.