“Staff at park plaza make an ordinary trip into a luxury break.”

Park Plaza County Hall London
Ranked #234 of 1,067 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
somerset
“Staff at park plaza make an ordinary trip into a luxury break.”
Reviewed 2 February 2010

I stayed here with my parents and children, age 7 and 3, and from the moment we arrived everyone was so kind and welcoming. It felt as tho' my best friend owned the hotel and everyone was told to expect us. I have always received polite and adequate service in London, but these guys really made my children feel special, and I left feeling like I'd had a week away not just two nights. The children got a bag of goodies each, including 5 vouchers to spend in the hotel. Later that eveing they spent them on fruit juice cocktails in the bar where the lovely barman took the time to talk to them about how exactly they would like their cocktail, and then later on gave them their own 'bill' to settle. They were glowing! The chef also has them into the kitchen to make pizzas that they eat later for supper [free!].
We also got upgraded to the best penthouse suite!! Now I'm a clean and decent sort of person, but I'm not massivly beautiful, or fabulously dressed...in fact mostly I'm a lttle bit scruffy....so how the heck we got the best room in the place, I'll never know.....but my goodness it was lovely: Views all across the city from a lovely, if scarily high up balcony that went half way round the building. My parents also got upgraded to executive rooms, which were also tasteful, comfortable and practical; nice to have a kitchenette to heat up last nights pizza! It is 3 minutes from Waterloo station, tho' you'd never know it, 5 minutes from a play park beneath the LondonEye, and 8 minutes from all the culture you could want at the Southbank centre. In short, I love this hotel, the staff really are wonderful, all of them, I'll never stay anywhere else.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
PPCHLondon, General Manager at Park Plaza County Hall London, responded to this review, 5 February 2010
Dear guest,

I would like to start off by thanking you for such a complimentary review! We strive to do 'Our Best for Every Guest' and on every occasion. So I am really glad that you experienced such an enjoyable stay! Thank you once again for your feedback. On behalf of Park Plaza County Hall, we look forward in seeing you again soon.

Kindest regards,

Simon Mahon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,089)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
oxford
Reviewed 31 January 2010

Plesantly surprised by this hotel, views amazing looking on to london eye and beyond, spectacular at night.
Staff all very friendly, hotel very clean, and girls who were cleaning all very happy, and friendly a very good indication of great leadership in that department, so well done to whoever is in charge.
Bar staff very accomodating, i would definately return

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for reviewing our hotel. I'm delighted that you found your stay to be so enjoyable and hope we will be able to exceed your expectations during future visits.

Kindest Regards,

Simon Mahon
Reviewed 28 January 2010

fantastic location, room and service. a great cocktail bar and the best view from any hotel room that I've stayed in for years

• Stayed January 2010
New Jersey
Reviewed 24 January 2010

There are two things that impressed me immediately about this hotel - the location and the staff.
The location was perfect - at least from a tourist stand point. You are literally across the street from the London Eye and about a 10 minute walk (across the Westminster Bridge) to Big Ben and Westminster Abbey. I even walked to Buckingham Palace which was a little further but still well within walking distance.
The second thing that was notable was the friendliness and helpfulness of the hotel staff - everyone was wonderful and more than willing to help.
We stayed in a Standard Superior room (the cheapest room) and I have no complaints. The room was probably a little small by American standards but for London it was roomier than most. It was modern and clean with all amenities provided (hair dryer, iron). If I had to make any negative comments regarding the room, I would just caution anyone who is elderly from booking this room. The beds are low to the ground and the shower/tub has a very high enclosure that you have to step over which was challenging to both of us - and we are fairly young!
The only other negative is the fact that there is a charge to get internet access. Although on a nice note, if you want the internet and you don't have a computer, the TV is also a computer.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NonRevForever
Houston TX
Reviewed 24 January 2010

When I arrived at the Park Plaza Hotel, they had lost my reservation. When I checked out, everything on the bill was wrong (including being charged for dates prior to my check-in date). And everything in-between was just not good. Had dinner in the restaurant one evening .... food was mediocre and service was slow. The elevators (lifts) are incredibly slow ... most guests resort to taking the stairs. The beds are terribly uncomfortable, as they are placed on a wooden platform instead of box springs. When you open the door to the room, the door hits the bedframe. Internet service is very unreliable (and was down during most of my stay). All in all, I expected far more from this hotel, particularly given the price. I had stayed at another London hotel for a separate segment of my trip, and found the other hotel far superior at half the price. The Park Plaza is simply not worth the cost.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank space_mom2010
Belo Horizonte, MG
Reviewed 23 January 2010

I have stayed in this hotel for 5 days with my family for vacation. Logistics are quite complex when traveling with young children I did an extensive research before booking this hotel. Initially I booked a studio room which I upgraded to Executive upon my arrival at the hotel because it meant larger rooms and breakfast included. My overall experience was excellent and I would rate this hotel as one of my best bets. Above all, I would highlight the staff preparation and kindness. Location was nice, close to the major atractions at the governmental area and with easy access to the public transportation network, allowing access to the more distant attractions. The Waterloo station is about 5-10 minutes of walking distance as well as the Parliament, the Big Ben and Westminster Abbey. The room was spacious for London, well equipped with plenty of facilities and the sofa-bed confortable for the kids. Breakfast was excellent, with good service and selection of food. We used the room service for dinner and the food was also excellent. Cleaness of the room was superb. I would definitely book this hotel again and I would recommend it.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank VespasianusFlavius
ireland
Reviewed 18 January 2010

what a great place to stay, stayed for 3 nights and although there was a mix up with the reservation it was overcome very quiclky by very friendly and helpful staff.. through out my whole stay here i found every member of staff to be very helpful and friendly to deal with and the quality of the food and friendly service in the lovely reception bar was out of this world... when i return to london again for another trip there is no where else i would considre to stay.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple