“Great location, poor rooms.”

and 1 more site!
LSE Northumberland House
Ranked #133 of 853 Speciality Lodging in London
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Great location, poor rooms.”
Reviewed 19 September 2013 via mobile

The LSE is situated in a great location, as it is in central London, within easy reach of many places such as Covent Garden. The rooms of LSE however, let it down. The room we stayed in wasn't particularly clean as it had coffee marks on the walls and wripped curtains. The en suite was also very small. As me and my sister only stayed here for 2 nights the room was ok, but i wouldn't want to stay much longer than that. Overall, it is ok to stay here if you are coming for a short break, as the staff are friendly and the location is fantastic, if the rooms were cleaner it would be a great place to stay.

• Stayed September 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Korean first
Folkestone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We booked this on a Groupon deal. What a mistake, it was not sold to us as student accommodation. It might be a central location but we didnt stay here, we checked in and straight out again as the room was revolting and absolutely stank (stale) and the bathroom was like a cupboard. Very disappointed and will be taking it up with Groupon for a full refund.

1 Thank Toffeeprincess
Il-hamrun, Malta
Reviewed 14 September 2013

This place is highly central in London. It's only like 4 minutes away from Charing Cross Station and around 3 mins away from Embankment Station. It doesn't offer any food service but it offers a good kitchen for on eto make use of. Staff has been really nice and very helpful. The place is very clean and rooms have been taken care of every day.All facilities are a couple of minutes away. The location is wonderful walking distance to Trafalgar Square, Leister Square and Piccadilly Circus. It's just a great place to stay.

Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2013

A clean (incredibly clean) ensuite room with access to a kitchen. It's student accomodation so it's a small room and the ensuite is a cupboard with shower, sink and loo but for where I was I paid hardly anything to be right on top of Trafalgar Square and everywhere I needed to be.
As I was in town for a conference the access to an iron and the ability to cook for myself were very needful. The reception staff were unbelievably helpful and the room was entirely adequate. The fan was very necessary as it was very hot but the bed was very comfortable and the facilities were great (with the exception of the lack of corkscrew or bottle opener in the kitchen). I was at the back and so it was quiet, no traffic noise. The lift was speedy and easy to use - for which I was grateful as I was on the top floor.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back as there's no danger of noise, also rooms at the top are warm!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2013

This couldn't be in a better location. 2 min walk from charring cross tube, Trafalgar Square, and 5 mins from the London eye! The room was really quiet ( I requested quiet after seeing some rooms may not be), it was clean, tidy, with friendly, helpful staff. This is such a bargain!!! Would definitely recommend and stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Melzabub
Stephanie S, Manager at LSE Northumberland House, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor.

I am glad that you enjoyed your recent stay at Northumberland House. I will be sure to pass on your lovely comments about our friendly people and clean facilities to the reception team and our housekeeping staff, who all work extremely hard to ensure a pleasant stay for all our guests.

We very much hope to welcome you back again in the future.
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Clean, basic. Original sash windows on Trafalgar Square make for a bit of noise at night, but being so close to the Tube and the Thames makes up for that - just pack ear plugs. We didn't use the kitchen facilities at all, nor the Wifi, but for somewhere to sleep and keep your stuff for a weekend in London, it's perfect.

1 Thank XidiaUK
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 September 2013

As has been stated over and over, the location is perfect, couldn't be better. The staff are wonderful and will bend over backwards to assist in any way possible.

Oh Oh, the rooms. Having stayed at LSE High Holborn, I knew that the rooms were basic, small and actually student accommodation. However, I was shown to a dark room which reeked, mostly of cigarette smoke but other unknown obnoxious odours as well. Without hesitation I was shown to a different room. It looked OK but the bed was awful. The cheap mattress had definitely seen better days and the equally cheap carpet was filthy. I had a shower and by the time I walked across the small room my feet were dirty and full of hairs.

I was in room 816, at the front and the noise is unbeleivable, sirens etc., all night long until about 4 - 5 am. I know that the place is in the centre of London but surely it is not beyond the management to refurbish carpets and mattresses more often, particularly when they are offering themselves as tourist accommodation outside of term time. Students may be happy with the squalor but other people expect cleanliness and a decent bed. I am not asking for much and appreciate that the cost is very reasonable but that doesn't mean that I have to put up with filth and sleepless nights, (both from the noise and the mattress), while I am staying there.

The kitchen was quite well stocked but the lounge was severely dated and antiquated, even for a student common room. Come on LSE - pull your finger out and sort out Northumberland Avenue Accommodation.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the back - too noisy at the front.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Trip Advisor.

We are constantly striving to upgrade our fixtures and fittings and endeavour to replace all worn items as soon as we can. In light of your comments about the mattress in room 816 I will ask our Front of House Manager to check for wear and tear and I thank you for drawing this to my attention.

I would also like to emphasise that it is illegal to smoke in any of our residences and a non-smoking policy is strictly enforced at all times.

I am sorry that on this occasion we did not manage meet your expectations.