“Stay here..you won't regret it!”

LSE Northumberland House
Ranked #159 of 896 Speciality Lodging in London
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Cannot believe the location/value and service. Sure bathrooms are small, but what could you possibly expect for the price - given the location. It is not a hotel, but the 24 hour desk service is wonderful, they could not have been more helpful. Water pressure/ temp in shower superb. Will recommend to friends and would not want to stay anywhere else in London.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tarz31
Stephanie S, Manager at LSE Northumberland House, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. I am pleased you enjoyed your recent stay at Northumberland House and that you appreciated our great value for money rates in such a fabulous central location, just a stroll away from Trafalgar Square. We hope we can welcome you back again on your next trip to London.

There are newer reviews for LSE Northumberland House

Reviewed 2 October 2013

I could't have chosen a better place, it has a great location, fabulous relation price/quality, exceptional service (laundry at the basement, free wifi, kitchen). I stayed there in early September for three nights. My first time in London was so amazing!

Room Tip: 4th floor was just right!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We stay at LSE Northumberland House 4 days in Semtember/13. Our room was in the 4th floor. The room was nice, very clean but the bathroon was small, but enough. The best thing are location and price. We really enjouy our time in London at LSE. We recommend.
Tks!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I stayed at LSE Northumberland House for a week in early September. This was my third time staying there and I will probably stay there again. The location just can't be beat - 2 minutes from Trafalgar Square, and Charing Cross and Embankment Tube stations are just minutes away. Tip: If you have a large piece of luggage, use Embankment instead of Charing Cross as there seems to be more working escalators and fewer stairs at Embankment station.

The rooms are basic student dorm-type rooms but with the high ceilings feel spacious. Lots of cupboard space and drawers for storing cloths and toiletries. Bring slippers because the carpets looked like they could use a good cleaning. The beds are a bit lumpy but I slept well. The bathroom is a tiny "all-in-one" cubicle-type affair but the water pressure in the shower was very good and the water was hot.

Wifi was only available in my room toward the end of my stay. In my previous two stays the only available wifi was in the common room on the 2nd floor. I hope that in-room wifi will be a permanent feature in the future.

The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and went out of their way to solve any minor problems or answer questions. Overall, this place is good value for your money and the location just can't be beat.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I have just spent four nights at the LSE Northumberland and having read other reviews about noise and a few other bits was a bit apprehensive. I was pleasantly surprised. The organisation and staff are great, very efficient and friendly. The room was small but adequate for my needs and the shower was like a plastic cubicle. However this was not a problem - it was very clean and the water was always very hot and was pefectly functional.There was little noise despite the fact that it is on Trafalgar Square (that's a plus by the way) The location could not have been better and I really believe this was exceptional value. I will definitely stay there again (first choice) if I am in London over the period which the rooms are available. Having now stayed there I cannot understand why anybody would complain. Fantastic and thanks LSE and trip advisor.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Jayneferg
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Please do not think this is a hotel because it is simple not. It is student accommodation, and looks like a homeless shelter or a hostel. Please take my advice and do not stay here. Me and my husband left and booked another hotel as soon as we stepped inside.

Our room smelt of urine and poo. The sheets were covered in stains, which looked like old blood stains...and clearly hadn't been washed. There were crips/sweet wrappers left all over the floor,and not to mention the mouldy food we saw in our bin!

I simple cannot put into words how terrible and disgusting this hotel is. I can not believe it is even been allowed to advertise itself as a hotel - and let people stay here. It is disgraceful, and I shall be reporting it. I wouldn't even let my dog sleep here!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. Northumberland House is indeed student accommodation during term time, offering facilities to vacation guests for a few weeks in the summer months. We take our customer feedback very seriously and I apologise that the standard of cleanliness in your room was not up to scratch. I will make a point of taking this up with our Housekeeping staff. Sometimes things do go wrong and had you reported the matter to Reception at the time, they would have done their best to find you an alternative room. Clearly on this occasion we were unable to live up to your expectations and I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

Really lovely room for a cheap hotel. Simple room but spacious, with no noise even on street side, nice double bed. Originally the building was not prepared to have bathroom and they simply put a kind of plastic cubicle with a shower and a toilet inside the room - weird but functional besides the fact that the toilet will be completely soaked after a shower....

Room Tip: Nothing special
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple