“Adequate but wanting in reception ”
Review of The Penn Club

and 1 more site!
The Penn Club
Ranked #453 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 1 September 2014 via mobile

I cannot fault neither the location or the simplicity. Yes, the rooms are basic, but the accommodation was fine. The stairs are a little problematic if travelling with large cases, but London is the city of stairs, so you get used to it.

The breakfast provided was exceptional. Although not a fan of American style drip stewed coffee, the blend was acceptable.
Kudos to Eliane, Linus and Andrias for heir care and service.

My only criticism echoes another poster. The receptionist was rude and objectionable. I felt demeaned with each encounter. Her only words to me on leaving, no matter how much I tried to engage in conversation was "you will pay with card". Once paid, no eye contact, no goodbye, and she returned to her computer screen.

Okay-it's a minor gripe, but surely reception should be receptive?

Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank Dennis W

Reviewed 7 August 2014

The hotel reflects the Quaker ethos, the rooms being simple, and the shared bathroom/toilet is pretty basic. The breakfast was ample and delicious, a good start to the day. In a good area for London attractions.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Shirley L
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I recently stayed two nights in the Penn Club. It is a terrific find for the right person & situation. The location is super close to Russell Square tube, an easy walk to the theater district (assuming one likes to walk). Slight downside, but as they say, "we don't compete". Most rooms have a shared bath/shower, there are no elevators. We were on the 4th floor during a very hot period & the little oscillating fan just didn't do enough. It's quiet, the breakfast is good & it's a safe place. I'd definitely stay again.

Room Tip: avoid the 4th floor if it's hot!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ckf722
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I love to stay in Bloomsbury when I return to London, it's a quiet and elegant neighbourhood, but close to everything you'll need and a good transport hub. The Penn Club is a great hotel in this area. It's not flash, but if you want a comfortable, calm, homey base this is the place. The staff are super helpful. The hotel has common areas for relaxing, dining, reading and watching TV which is a nice escape when you don't want to be holed up in your room and you need to work. Breakfast is 'english' and plentiful. The rooms are simple but very comfortable.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Melbonny
Reviewed 12 July 2014

This is the first and only review I have ever written in my 30+ years of travel.

I was so excited about visiting this place, as I'd heard wonderful things about it. The pastor of my church recommended it. After all, it is a Quaker establishment and everyone knows the kindness of Quakers. To be honest, yes, the room was clean and the establishment was in a great part of town. The breakfast was grand too. The problem was the staff. Specifically the harpie at the front desk. I don't know where The Penn Club got this woman, but seriously... no. I'm quite certain she is also the one sending the emails back and forth when you register. These emails are very unfriendly, un-businesslike and quite curt. In person, she gets worse. I was screamed at on more than one occasion and made to feel quite unwelcome. I was more than heartbroken by this experience. Shame on The Penn Club for hiring persons of this nature. If you want a clean place to stay at a good price, this is it. If you want to feel like a valued member of society, DO NOT STAY HERE! I feel quite bad about having to write such a nasty review, but I would feel worse if other people had to deal with what I did. :( Please forgive.

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be good, but there are a lot of stairs. Please be cautioned if you are somewhat mo...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
14  Thank TravelDoggie9997
Reviewed 7 July 2014

The Penn Club with its absence of muzac thoughout, comfort of its bed bedding and pillows, and central location is perhaps the ideal place to stay in London. The Edward Cadbury Room - a quiet room within a quiet club is ideal for reading and has all the major daily newspapers. There is a separate T.V. room. The windows in the bedrooms actually open which makes a good night's sleep much more likely. It has the additional charm of being in an entirely Georgian Street.

Whilst I wouldn't really want to stay anywhere else in central London the rooms on the upper floors could prove difficult for the relatively infirm as there is no lift.

The single en suite room on the top floor allocated to me has a tiny washbasin in the shower room which is nearly impossible to use as there is a shelf immediately above it. There is adequate space for a shelf to the right of the door.

Room Tip: The elderly or infirm shoudl ask for a room on the first floor
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Tim S
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

I've stayed here on several occasions. I have never done the European thing of sharing a bathroom, which frankly scared me a little but after staying at the Penn it was perfectly fine. I love their breakfast, they have quite a spread and all very delicious. The quiet & calm of the place is absolutely delightful. This place was first recommended by a friend and I'm so glad we found it because I'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2013