“Il Mio primo viaggio a Londra”

Marlin Apartments - Empire Square
Ranked #155 of 922 Speciality Lodging in London
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

The ideal accommodation for those who decide to go to London. Kindness of the staff I would like to thank especially unique Theodora reception made me feel at home immediately. Very close to the tube!!! There are two supermarkets near the apartments and the famous Borough Market, the best market in U. K. There is also London Bridge station not so far from the Marlin accommodation.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Valeria S
Catalin C, Manager at Marlin Apartments - Empire Square, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

Dear Valeria S ,

Thank you very much for staying with Marlin Apartments Empire Square. A big thank you also for your review on TripAdvisor.

I was amazed when I read the review as I know how much passion and work My staff puts into delivering the best customer service . I passed your comments to Teodora and she send you her best thoughts. I was delighted as well to read that you have enjoyed the location and the lovely Borough Market , one of the top markets in UK.

We are looking forward to seeing you again ,

With our warmest regards

Catalin and the team

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Third visit. Excellent self-catering apartment within easy walking distance of two underground stations (Borough and London Bridge) and the Borough Market to stock up on food. There is a Tesco supermarket downstairs for all basic requirements. Kitchens are quite well equipped, although why provide a microwave if you don’t provide microwaveable dishes? And one of my pet peeves about some hotels – NO HOOKS ANYWHERE – NOT ONE!
Check in is friendly and efficient, but their business model seems to be based on Ryanair –big extra charges for things you expect for free elsewhere. Check out is 10:30 with a big extra charge for noon or 2:00 p.m. and check in is 3:00 with extra for an earlier check in. In most hotels, if your room is ready before official check in time they do not charge you extra for it. On the other hand, wifi is free and fast.
For those who like self-catering accommodation, this is a good bet in a great location, especially for foodies..

Room Tip: No recommendations.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

Spacious and clean, modern and minimal decor was great. Little balcony and floor to ceiling window in living area was bright and airy. Kitchen was well open plan with living area and well equipped. 5 of us stayed in a 2-bed apartment, one bedroom was en-suite (shower room) and the main bathroom had a bath with shower over. The lift was fast (we were on 4th floor) and we also used the parking under the building (only £15 a day in central London seemed good value). You need to check in before proceeding to car park which is tricky if lead booker is also driving!! But there is some space in the road outside reception (right outside Tesco Express - very handy for supplies, and there is a cashpoint/ATM) where you can park for a few minutes but not sure if it's really allowed parking there!!
The location is literally a few minutes walk from Borough tube station, and Borough Market (go early - it gets very busy by lunchtime!!). Also very close to London Bridge tube and mainline station and a The Shard. We had Sunday brunch at The Table in Southwark which was only 10 mins walk away and that is recommended too!
Overall we had a great experience at these apartments and recommend them.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Great to stay in an apartment with a balcony and lovely view rather than a hotel. The site is huge and rooms are hard to find. Corridors are very noisy but this does not affect you once you are in the room. Decor is very basic and designed for ease of cleanliness (which is very good) rather than comfort.

Room Tip: Ask for room with view of Shard
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Itinerantur17
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Review of Marlin Apartments Empire Square

There is no air conditioning in this apartment. We arrived to realize belatedly that this was the case… Luckily for us, the weather turned cooler and we made do with windows ajar but the lack of ventilation did take some getting used to. This is also a residential apartment so I assume only some apartments are leased out for tourists and transient travellers like my family.

The location of this place is excellent, a few minutes walk from Borough Underground. There is also a Tesco express to buy supplies right downstairs. This was the main deciding factor for me as we are travelling with our baby and would need quick supplies.

However, the noise situation is not ideal as the apartments face inward towards a courtyard and the sound travels up immediately. Which is worsened by the open windows. It was particularly bad on the weekends (soccer match?)

We stayed at apartment 39 on the 2nd floor. The apartment itself is well equipped with a full kitchen and bath and living room area. I must say it is quite spacious (as opposed to a hotel). The kitchen was modern. However, the kitchen did not come with any dish detergent and sponge (other than the dishwasher powder) and tissue paper and we had to purchase those. The lights tripped when we operated the washing machine but I make no comment about that other than it happened. The fridge smelt of bleach which meant it was cleaned but also meant that the stuff we stored in there also smelt of bleach after awhile. The carpet and sofa are quite worn and look like they need a deep clean. The water kettle and tap had some calcification as well.

The housekeeping is once a week but not on weekends (next available working day). So we checked in on Sunday and we only had our room cleaned on Monday. Since it was some time until it was cleaned, and we have a young baby who crawls on the floor, I would use wet wipes to wipe the floor. And I realized that the floor was very dirty with a grey layer of dust on the wipe (which could not have come from general dinner mess from our a few days stay at that time and would have been accumulated over sometime) especially under the dining table. It was obvious the cleaning was only “around” the open space and not under the table. I was disappointed.

My main complaint about the stay had to be about the service regarding the baby cot that we had booked and were charged an inordinate amount of 15 pounds a day (a note to any other family, you can get a brand new travel cot from boots for about 29-39 pounds and donate it to charity if you don’t want to lug it back). The mattress they provided was also flimsy at best. Anyway, the problem was when we checked in, it was obvious that the cot had not been set up properly as the top bar on one of the sides was flopped over. I tried to click it back into place but could not. After a few attempts of closing and opening the entire travel cot, it was clear that it was spoilt. I called reception and they sent a person over to check. He said that he would return with a new one. 45 minutes later, no one came. I called reception again and she told me (in a impatient and patronizing tone) that it was a brand new cot and that she had no information of there being an exchange and it was fine. I told her that it was not safe and her staff had seen it and told me that he would change it. She said if I wanted it changed it would be changed and someone would come in 30 minutes. I did not appreciate her tone. I had been nothing but polite and patient and was merely stating the facts. I can understand she may have had a long day but I don’t think it called for being rude. 1 hour later, no one came. I called reception again and the next shift had come on. The guy told me that the housekeeping person was busy and would come soon. When the guy finally came, he brought along another cot that was also unfortunately also faulty with the same problem. The third cot then came and worked but was rather grotty. By this time, it was almost 3 hours after check in and after a 12 hour flight, I was not really in the mood to do anything other than crash (and so was my baby). So we just left it as that. The guy who was here also indicated that he would return to fix the faulty fuse for the heater rail but never did (throughout our stay).

The doors/walls are rather thin and I could hear conversations in the hallway, or neighbouring doors closing or someone fitting a plug into the wall next door.

Overall, location and convenience is good but there leaves much to be desired with the experience. I would probably look at alternatives the next time I visit.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank auntieadriene
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed in these apartments for 2nd time and will stay here again. It is fairly clean, modern, quiet. One bedroom apartment is spacious enough to accommodate double bed and child's travel cot in the bedroom. The reception responds promptly on our requests. Yes, they use people who hardly speak a word in English to service apartments but who cares if it helps to keep the cost down.
The location IMHO couldn't be better. It's 2 mins walk to Borough Market (well worth a visit!!), London Bridge Tube (with lift access for those who travel with children in pushchairs), The Shard, 5 mins walk from Themes and all pubs, bistros etc. on an embankment.
There's an underground parking at the apartment block so you can book in advance and park your car with no problem, it is still much cheaper than any London car park on 24-hour rates basis.

There're complimentary toiletries, water bottles, milk, instant coffee and tea bags provided (as well as couple of dishwasher and washing machine tablets). But you still need to bring your own sponges/kitchen towels/washing liquid plus bring oil/condiments if you intend to cook.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 May 2014

A nice modern apartment , the hallways were a bit smelly although with an apartment block so large you are bound to get that from the various cooking going on. Kitchen was excellent. beds very comfortable. We were close to 2 underground stations Borough and Tower Bridge. Put on your walking shoes. Borough Markets are nearby by and very good.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear DoraK

Thank you for staying at Marlin Apartments Empire and posting your comments on Tripadvisor following your recent visit.It is such a pleasure for me personally to read such warm, positive feedback.

Every member of my of team members works hard to ensure our guests’ experiences with us are as comfortable and memorable as possible, and I am so glad that this has been the case for you on your stay.
Thank you for pointing that the smell from the various cooking is inevitable in our hall ways, having guest from so many different cultures.

It is our aim to ensure a homely experience to the guests and I am so pleased to see that this is indeed the feeling you had when you were here. As you have kindly noticed, all our buildings across London are in the proximity of famous attractions of London , with excellent access to local transport.

I do look forward to welcoming you back soon to Marlin Apartments for your next visit to London.

With my warmest regards ,