“Great value” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #92 of 572 London B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Great value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2012 via mobile

Staid for two nights and was very satisfied. The room was newly renovated and truly comfortable. Clearly stands out as superb boutique hotel with friendly service minded staff.

Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Johan334

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

If Cheers were a hotel in Notting Hill, London, The Portobello House Hotel would be it! Happy, comfortable, loving, personable service. Great food in the Percy Restaurant and Bar. Wine tasting, movie nights, live music....all sorts of fun downstairs, with cool, quiet comfort upstairs.
Small, comfortable rooms with great baths. We stay often and enjoy brining our laptops down to breakfast and staying for lunch. One block from Portobello Road - so fun, quick, easy,
No elevator - no need for a gym - only three floors high.

Room Tip: I won't tell you my favorite room as I have already been displaced by a major rock star who want...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
vienna
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

My room was spacious with a lovely decor - the same to be said about the bathroom as well (good shower!). I was looking forward to a good night sleep in my comfy bed, but the noise from Ladbroke Grove ... The location is fab: just 5 min walk to both, Portobello rd. and tube station, bus stop in the front of the house. Overall, a nice little place.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank lin23
Colchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

Located above a pub/restaurant on Ladbrooke Grove is the Portobello House Hotel. But late at night to get insde meant ringing a buzzer and getting someone out of bed to let me in. Actually I had no problem with this but others might. The reception is actually not manned during the night so that when I left at 6.30 am there was no one to see me off, take payment or say 'see you next time'. Again this didnt bother me, was probably quickest check out I ever had !! but it is not usual for a hotel.

Otherwise the owners have done a decent job of making the place look nice and bed and pillows etc were above average comfort. Bathroom was clean and spacious, although water pressure not what you get in central London.

Would have been 4 stars but I rang at 5pm to ask if i could have a quiet room if at all possible and not facing Ladbooke Grove (which as I had predicted was pretty noisy). I was told that this was no problem and I was in room 26 on second floor facing the side street. Well you guessed it ...No26 was right over the traffic of Ladbrooke Grove !!! I kept window closed (which actually kept out noise quite well) but the lack of fresh air (and a glass of wine too many I suppose) helped make for a decent headache the next day.

Will keep an eye on it but not a first choice for me at £150 ...you can do better for less.

Room Tip: Choose a room that is not facing Ladbrooke Grove
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank 3KMax
Bramhall, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

I stayed at the PHH with my teenage son (brave, I know) for two nights. Everyone was extremely friendly and helpful. I travel quite a bit on my own and am quite cautious. I loved the area and getting around whether it was walking/tube/bus or taxi was a snap. We enjoyed walking Portobello Road, Ledbury and Westbourne Grove areas. We came back in the evenings to a bistro that was buzzing with local people, which made a nice change from the bigger hotels. A must for us was WiFi, which worked brilliantly throughout the hotel/bistro. The room we stayed in was not large, but it was decorated tastefully. HAIRDRYERS are available, you just need to ask at reception. (In a review I had read it stated that there weren't any) I will most definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Mbluk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012 via mobile

A lovely hotel and restaurant, Carlos and his team made us feel very welcome and treated us in a very friendly manner (very un-London). The prices are very reasonable and I shall hopefully be making another trip there in the very near future. We were there to see my younger sister and this place made us feel like nothing was too much trouble... I cannot recommend them enough, far better than the faceless 5 stars that will knacker your bank balance and make you feel unwelcome. Enjoy! I have submitted this same review to booking.com as it is how I feel about this great place.

Stayed March 2012
2 Thank Max F
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012 via mobile

This hotel is a gem! This is a boutique styled hotel. Services and cleanliness were excellent. Mostly, staffs went out of their ways to make us feel welcome. The owner Carlos even booked a mini cab for us. The only thing I recommend is it would be helpful if a blow dryer is provided inside the room.

We will be back for sure!!

Stayed March 2012