“A real gem.”

Ranked #100 of 556 London B&B and Inns
Oxford (UK)
“A real gem.”
Reviewed 4 June 2012

I stayed here for quite some time on business - in fact I found it quite by accident after all the company affliated hotels turned out to be fully booked one week. After a couple of nights I decided to forget about accumulating masses of air miles or loyalty points with the big chain hotels - this was the place for me!
The rooms are fresh, clean, beautifully decorated and are all a decent size (I think I must have stayed in almost all of them at some point.. not the 4-poster bed though) there are 12 in total, some with a bath, some without - you'll pay more for the bath, but to be honest that's about the only difference I could tell between once class of room and another.
Interestingly this was one of the few places I've stayed in London where the TV actually worked as it should - you've got all the Freeview channels to choose from, no complicated hotel menu to battle with, and a crystal clear picture. It never fails to surprise me how bad some hotel TVs are. There's a built in DVD player too, should you need one.
Now, it gets better - the restauraunt downstairs... well, it's a pub really, and a very nice one too.. but the food on offer here is something really special. The two chefs are terrific - I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that at some point these guys are going to get noticed. Go now.. and eat! I came back from work one evening, tired, fed up and generally in a bad mood - ordered the meat pie, and found myself comforted, warmed, cheered up and generally whole again. I had forgotten that food could do that.. I believe that everything is made from scratch, and it really shows.. In fact, you can pop your head over the kitchen door and see what they're up to in there if you feel like it! Great things happen in that kitchen, and I love it.
The staff are a wonderful group of people too - and the owners really do care about their guests.
Oh, and unlike the Radissons and the Hiltons I was staying in previously, the WiFi is free, and is pretty quick. How nice not to feel ripped off for something that I think should be included in the price these days. Well, here it is inlcluded.
Lastly, if you're someone who enjoys a cigarette (very non-pc I know), then you'll know that most hotels force you to go and stand on the street to have a smoke - which in London means a queue of people will quickly form, all asking if you have a 'spare' cigarette. Well, at the Portobello House Hotel they have a cute little 1st floor roof terrace with a few tables and chairs where you can take yourself off for a quiet 5 mins. There's also a seating area outside the front of the pub, with some very effective heaters if you prefer.
Sure, there's no gym, no loyalty points and no tea and coffee making facilities in the rooms (although I think that's something that's planned, or would certainly be quickly provided if you asked for it) - but this place makes you realise that there's no substitute for a lovely room, genuinely personal service, amazing food, and a feeling like you're 'home'. I can't tell you how much I like it.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the road (the front of the hotel) can be a little noisy, a side facing room is very qu...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Joy_of_Work

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 19 May 2012

My mother raved about the Portobello House so we decided to stay here one night on our way to Switzerland. It's an incredibly chic place with very tasteful decor. The rooms are small but comfortable and clean. The only downside is the noise from the street is quite loud, there's quieter rooms than ours so ask about that when you book a place. The staff is very sweet (Carlo and Margo in particular). The restaurant downstairs had some strange ingredients but wow when the food comes you don't question it, everything was so delicious! The breakfast was ok, nothing special but not terrible either. But I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that's on the quieter side of the hotel if you can.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Holly R
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2012 via mobile

Staid for two nights and was very satisfied. The room was newly renovated and truly comfortable. Clearly stands out as superb boutique hotel with friendly service minded staff.

Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Johan334
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 May 2012

If Cheers were a hotel in Notting Hill, London, The Portobello House Hotel would be it! Happy, comfortable, loving, personable service. Great food in the Percy Restaurant and Bar. Wine tasting, movie nights, live music....all sorts of fun downstairs, with cool, quiet comfort upstairs.
Small, comfortable rooms with great baths. We stay often and enjoy brining our laptops down to breakfast and staying for lunch. One block from Portobello Road - so fun, quick, easy,
No elevator - no need for a gym - only three floors high.

Room Tip: I won't tell you my favorite room as I have already been displaced by a major rock star who want...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
vienna
Reviewed 25 April 2012

My room was spacious with a lovely decor - the same to be said about the bathroom as well (good shower!). I was looking forward to a good night sleep in my comfy bed, but the noise from Ladbroke Grove ... The location is fab: just 5 min walk to both, Portobello rd. and tube station, bus stop in the front of the house. Overall, a nice little place.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank lin23
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Located above a pub/restaurant on Ladbrooke Grove is the Portobello House Hotel. But late at night to get insde meant ringing a buzzer and getting someone out of bed to let me in. Actually I had no problem with this but others might. The reception is actually not manned during the night so that when I left at 6.30 am there was no one to see me off, take payment or say 'see you next time'. Again this didnt bother me, was probably quickest check out I ever had !! but it is not usual for a hotel.

Otherwise the owners have done a decent job of making the place look nice and bed and pillows etc were above average comfort. Bathroom was clean and spacious, although water pressure not what you get in central London.

Would have been 4 stars but I rang at 5pm to ask if i could have a quiet room if at all possible and not facing Ladbooke Grove (which as I had predicted was pretty noisy). I was told that this was no problem and I was in room 26 on second floor facing the side street. Well you guessed it ...No26 was right over the traffic of Ladbrooke Grove !!! I kept window closed (which actually kept out noise quite well) but the lack of fresh air (and a glass of wine too many I suppose) helped make for a decent headache the next day.

Will keep an eye on it but not a first choice for me at £150 ...you can do better for less.

Room Tip: Choose a room that is not facing Ladbrooke Grove
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank 3KMax
Bramhall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2012

I stayed at the PHH with my teenage son (brave, I know) for two nights. Everyone was extremely friendly and helpful. I travel quite a bit on my own and am quite cautious. I loved the area and getting around whether it was walking/tube/bus or taxi was a snap. We enjoyed walking Portobello Road, Ledbury and Westbourne Grove areas. We came back in the evenings to a bistro that was buzzing with local people, which made a nice change from the bigger hotels. A must for us was WiFi, which worked brilliantly throughout the hotel/bistro. The room we stayed in was not large, but it was decorated tastefully. HAIRDRYERS are available, you just need to ask at reception. (In a review I had read it stated that there weren't any) I will most definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family