“A haven in London”
Review of Portobello House

Portobello House
Ranked #69 of 579 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We spent one night in a King Club room and cannot say enough good things about this hotel. The staff were lovely, polite and friendly and our room and bathroom was gorgeous! A wonderful stay and we were sad to leave. I believe it was Louisa who checked me in and she was an absolute joy and made me feel so welcome and happy to be there from the minute I entered. The only negative would be that the shower is rather small and tight.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
limatad, Owner at Portobello House, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review, we are very grateful.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Portobello House in the future.

Kind regards.

Reviewed 1 August 2013

This is a nice, small hotel owned by great people. The rooms were clean and quiet and the bistro has good food! We were given great advice on getting around the city and everyone was very friendly. If you enjoy nice boutique hotels, this is the place to go!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vkpaxton
limatad, Owner at Portobello House, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review we are very grateful.

We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to welcome you back to Portobello House in the future.

Kind regards,

Louisa

Reviewed 22 July 2013

Sitting outside in the sun, eating great food! We had a table for two outside and although shielded from the passers-by with a high hedge, it was still pleasant (although I would like to have watched the world go by!). The food and service were great. Thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
limatad, Owner at Portobello House, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2013

Dear Douglas,

Thank you so much for writing a review we are very grateful.

We are glad that you enjoyed the food you had at Portobello House and found the service great!

Yes our bamboo plants are very high at the moment and it is a bit like a secret garden! They are due a haircut soon!

We hope to see you again soon.

With kind regards.

Reviewed 21 July 2013

Sometimes it might be difficult to find reasonably priced good hotels in London. Hotel Portobello House is nice, recently renovated hotel in beautiful Notting Hill suburb. The hotel is located only three minute walk from a subway station (Ladbroke Grove) and therefore accessing the numerous sights in London is easy and convenient.

There's also a bus stop in front of the hotel with several lines that'll take you to central London very easily. Late night taxi charge from Covent Garden back to the hotel was 17 pounds.

Our room was _very_ small but nice and tidy. Also the toilet/bathroom was spotless. There is no elevator in the hotel and you need to climb quite steep steps to access the higher floors. The street noises can be clearly heard in the room so if you a are a light sleeper, bring your earplugs with you or try to get a room facing the opposite direction. We didn't find the noise too bothersome.

Breakfast was quite basic with cold dishes only. During weekends there should be a possibility to get a hot English breakfast for extra charge. The pub downstairs was average with not very appealing menu. The "Elgin" pub (with live music) five minutes down the street is much better. There's also an excellent Italian restaurant two blocks away.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, avoid the rooms facing the street.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mikkoj74

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review we are very grateful.

We are glad that you found the hotel convenient for accessing the numerous sights of London.

Being located in any major city does present an issue with noise for some people, we are addressing this issue by double glazing the windows to the front of the building.

We are sad that you did not find the menu in the bistro appealing, we have had some very good comments about our food, including lots of positive reviews from food critics which have appeared in national newspapers.

Our menu does currently change and therefore it is always worth revisiting next time you visit.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Portobello House.

With Kind regards.

Reviewed 7 July 2013

I have just spent two nights at this lovely hotel. The room was small but comfortable, attractively decorated and spotlessly clean. After a busy afternoon, we decided to eat in the hotel's bistro and we were not disappointed! Both the food and service were excellent. There are so many delicious cocktails to choose from - I would have liked to stay long enough to try them all! The room rate included a simple breakfast and there was plenty of choice among the breads, cereal, fruit, yogurts, etc. We really enjoyed everything about our stay but, perhaps, the best thing about it was the wonderful, cheerful and helpful staff (and I include everyone that we met).

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Portobello House.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

With kind regards.

Reviewed 28 June 2013

I booked into Portobello House, for my night off (I work nights and need a good rest on my time off).
From the pictures I looked at on the internet, - and the written description, followed by a conversation over the phone with a member of the hotel reception staff, I booked myself in, to a "Four poster" bedroom. ( Room 21, on the top floor. When I made my booking, I had specifically asked if it would be possible to accommodate a late check out. The lady asked me what time I would like and I replied "Is 1pm okay?" To which she replied (and assured me) that it would be no problem.
I arrived at the hotel, shortly after 3pm and checked in at reception. Upon arrival, the lady at reception ( a different one from the phone conversation when I made my initial booking) showed me to my room. She showed me how to use the key to the door and let me in. Then she left. She did not show me how to work the television, coffee machine or air conditioning. Or explain about the shower, towel rack etc.....
Luckily, having stayed in many hotels as a result of work, every year, I figured out quickly how to work the television (not difficult admittedly) and the air con. However the coffee machine took a bit longer.
I am a big believer of cleanliness as well as tidiness and upon first inspection, of course the room *looked lovely. The four poster bed was grand and the décor very, pleasing to the eye indeed. One thing I have always done when I am staying in a room with a four poster bed, is to run my finger along the top of the four poster frame, to check for dust..... I am sure to some, this may seem "petty" but it doesn't take much to dust such a frame on a daily basis. I took off about an inch of dust, which confirmed my fear, - that the cleaning staff employed by this " boutique hotel" don't really like to dust. (Or perhaps it is to go with the décor.... "shabby" chic).
My next unfortunate experience was the shower.
There was a serious problem with the temperature gage, which resulted in me being close to scalded. Eventually, I had to step out of the shower - mid shower and use both hands to turn the temperature dial to a position where the water wasn't burning hot.
By this point, I realised the £209 I had paid for the room, was really probably the cost of admiring the décor and what their refurbishment had cost. Really not much else.
The hotel claims to be a boutique hotel.... however there are skeletal staff and no room service. Breakfast offered is "tea and toast", which is what I was told.
Stepping out later that evening to purchase a bottle of water from one of the rather seedy local shops, I did however notice that the "bistro/pub" downstairs was absoloutly jam packed with people. Eating their mezze and enjoying a few drinks.
The next morning, after arranging a late checkout, the cleaner began knocking on my door at around 12.
The first time I ignored it.
The second time I opened the door and the woman stood there and asked me to check out..... At the same time, the telephone in the room rang. At which point the cleaner, told me "telephone" and waved her hand for me to answer the telephone in my own room!!!!!!!!
I answered the telephone and it was "reception". The man was asking me to check out.
So, for the third time, I had to re-iterate that I had asked about a late check out when I had phoned in to make my booking enquiry. And I had been told it was fine. The man basically ignored my explanation and said "but the cleaner has finished cleaning all the other rooms and she wants to go home"!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was pretty annoyed at such a shocking response and ridiculous excuse.
I went to check out at 12.30 and explained to the man at the reception once again, how I had asked and been told it was fine to check out at 1pm. I also explained that I had said the same to the lady on the reception when I had arrived the previous day.
I suggested to him that it seemed there was a communication breakdown, or major lack of communication between the "staff".
Another reply from him was " we are only a small hotel and we have minimal staff"......
I remained as calm and as cordial as I could during the very frustrating conversation with him. I also explained that it was not really my problem to deal with if the cleaner wants to go home. Instead of acknowledging that this situation was dealt with in an unprofessional manner, he remained very much on the defensive.
A simple apology and far better attitude would have sufficed.
To me a testament to poor management.
So, in the future, when I should feel the need to book into a hotel where the décor is pleasing to the eye and there is a four poster bed, - but basically no a whole lot else, I will remember the Portobello House Hotel..... but I do not think I will visit there again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Rhiannon J
limatad, Guest Relations Manager at Portobello House, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2013

Dear Rhiannon,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. We are sorry that we did not meet your expectations, because as you can see from our other reviews we have very friendly staff that are much loved by most of our regular guests. Probably you did not feel as well looked after as most of our guests, which is a shame because it is something we care about.

To address your points. I believe there were a few misunderstandings caused by our lovely Moroccan housekeeper, whose English is not that good, she misunderstood and thought your late check out was 12.00 midday instead of the 1.00 pm you had requested. So she asked our duty manager to call you to confirm what time you wanted to leave because she was not sure what time to return. I do understand this was very irritating for you.

We have also asked our housekeeper to add the obscure place were you found a little dust to our cleaning schedule.

The shower thermostat had been recently changed because we noticed it was a bit stiff, and so it was completely brand new. Thank you for informing us, of the difficulty you had and now it has now been replaced (again) under guarantee.

Our complimentary tea and toast breakfast includes fruit, coffee, muffins, cereals and cheese, and we survey our guests and most think it very enjoyable. I believe there are a few photos on the net of our breakfast from our satisfied guests. It is a shame you did not have time to try it.

I hope you next stay in London will be a better experience for you.

Kind regards

Lara

Reviewed 20 June 2013

We spent a night in the Portobello House hotel, and were greeted by exceptionally helpful staff. The rooms are well decorated, with high ceilings and huge windows. Very airy, but complete blackout curtains for non early risers. We stayed in a Superior king room, the bed was very comfortable, with Egyptian cotton bedding and good quality pillows. The En suite shower was spacious, but unfortunately the top shower head was faulty, and we reported it in the morning. Breakfast was included but a little disappointing. Breads, jams and babybel cheese, and muesli on offer with coffee or tea only. Perhaps fresh fruit platter or some cold meats would have made it slightly more appetising. Percy's Bar had some good wines and good cocktails. The staff were very attentive and friendly. I would definitely highly recommend staying here but probably have breakfast somewhere else.

Room Tip: Earl Percy room for a special occasion, otherwise Superior Super King room is very luxurious too.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
limatad, General Manager at Portobello House, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Dear Guest, Thank you for returning to stay with us and for taking the time to write a positive review .A lot of our guests stay with us because we have such a friendly busy bar and they also like to enjoy a drink while watching our great fun Cabaret. Dates of which are on the website. All our music finishes at 11.30 sharp. We are sorry that noise was a problem for you and if you do wish to return, may i suggest the top floor is the quietest. Wo look forward to welcoming you back. Kind regards,
Portobello Team

Also consider these accommodations in or near London
Travelodge Wembley
Hammersmith / Fulham
The Malt House
The Malt House
#28 of 579 in London

Been to Portobello House? Share your experiences!