“A bit disapointing”

The Grand at Trafalgar Square
Ranked #253 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 12 November 2013

My wife had booked this hotel for three days as we were visiting the kids along with taking in a show, actually she booked the Club Quarters hotel but we got The Grand! Honestly I have my hand on heart to tell you I was never short which "hotel" we were actually staying in, it really is a bit confusing - two hotels in one location ! I arrived early from Heathrow and I was told that I could have an early check in for £40 - I declined and went and met my wife from the train. Your first impression when arriving is wonderful, the marble floor, chandelier and dark wood make for a delightful lobby area. It is just when you actually want to book in the problems start, the reception is split into two sections (both very small), the receptionist was very nice and we got our key fairly quickly. The room was a bit small (no bath) but completely adequate. The second day our son and daughter-in-law along with their 10 month only daughter visited us at the hotel. At the entrance to the hotel there is a mini elevator, I presumed it was for wheelchair access along pram access and there is not ramp. My wife asked at the reception to turn it on when she was then told that the hotel does not have an elevator at the entrance - when my wife persuaded the girl in reception the company here to see the non-existing elevator (and then turn it on) the girl then said it only for wheelchair access and she did not how to turn it on anyway. I don’t mind struggling up the stairs with the pram but it would be nice if the staff knew what facilities are actually available. I was intending to have a drink in the bar one night but the bar closes at 10 at the weekend so it looked nice when I passed during the day but I have no information other than that. Overall we were fairly let down by the whole experience, we spend quite a lot of time in London both on business and leisure and there are better hotels with the same access to the west end this hotel has but with better facilities and bar you can get a drink in when it goes dark.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Frank O

Reviewed 11 November 2013

I couldn't be happier about my decision to stay at The Grand at Trafalgar. The location was obviously fantastic, and the hotel was perfect for my needs -- the refrigerator and the water station in the hallway were both great. I was prepared for my room to be pretty mediocre, but it was perfectly nice -- definitely nicer than the rooms appear on the website. Other reviewers have noted that there's no real seating area in the lobby, but the bar just off the lobby has lounge seating that I never had a problem sitting in while I was waiting for someone, etc. And if you stay there to be in the middle of everything, there's no reason to spend much time in the hotel anyway.

A couple of notes:
(1) I randomly stopped at The Clarence, just around the corner on Whitehall, for lunch one day. It was so charming, and the butternut squash and brie "salad" (on wild rice and bulgur wheat) blew away my expectations about British food. I'd eat there every day if I could.
(2) As a runner, I loved waking up at the eastern edge of three parks. Every morning, I would run through St. James Park, Green Park, and Hyde Park, with very few street crossings except at Buckingham Palace (about six miles round trip).

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 November 2013

The grand is in the name only, though the lobby and the entrance is quite beautiful and extravagant; the rooms are small and functional, at least the room which I had. The location of the hotel is great, a few steps from the Trafalgar Square and Charing Cross station. The staff are a mixed bag, while some are very friendly and nice; others are somewhat surly and condescending. They offer free use of an iPad for the duration of your stay and that seemed like a nice innovation. The prices are reasonable by London standards.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank GDSK
Reviewed 7 November 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Encouraged by TA reviews, we booked a short break in the least expensive room available (with 10% extra discount off Laterooms price by booking direct with hotel).

Good first impressions - palatial marbled late Victorian lobby area and a quick, friendly check-in by efficient, polite staff.

We checked in earlier than usual - 1pm - but were given a room immediately. Unfortunately, the room we let ourselves into (there's no porterage, it appears) hadn't been made up. A quick call to front desk brought an immediate upgrade and profuse apologies, and by the time we'd got back to reception they had issued new key cards - so it was a minor glitch, handled extremely well.

Our upgraded room was top floor, with penthouse-like rooftop views across the London skyline to the Houses of Parliament, London Eye etc. It was spacious and well presented, with a very comfortable bed and windows that actually opened (the whole hotel was on the warm side). It was everything we needed as a touring base, minutes from Leicester Square and a two-minute stroll to Embankment tube station.

Although billed as The Grand for marketing purposes, the establishment is operated by Club Quarters, an American business with city centre locations across the major US cities (and also in the City of London). It's not a traditional hotel concept (there are no dining rooms as such), rather more of a members' club offering accommodation and meeting facilities, but it's slick, well run and suited us.

Room rack rates are ridiculously high, but shop about and you'll probably get a deal around the £200/night mark or lower. And at that price, it makes a lot of sense in terms of location and quality of accommodation.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

Excellent location, easy to walk to Leicester and Covent Garden, Soho etc.
The room was very quiet, clean, beautiful furniture.
Front desk service was very good but the service at the bar not always very pleasant. If it is a bit past 9pm, they will not even tell you they are not serving any more -- although they have to be used to having a lot of continental tourists whose evening tend to start much later than the British ones...!
Other than that I highly recommend this hotel !

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 November 2013

...offer an apology to those who stayed close to room 226 in the morning on Wednesday 30th October. Ring a ding ding. Yes, I did set the fire alarm off early in the morning. In my defence, the only thing I was guilty off was having a shower. And leaving the door between the bathroom and the bedroom open for approximately 4.5 seconds.

If anyone from the hotel management is reading this - please follow the example of the Pestana Chelsea Bridge - they had a warning in the shower saying to keep the door closed as otherwise the fire alarm might go off. So simple, so genius. Thank you Pestana!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business