“Great location.”

The Grand at Trafalgar Square
Ranked #276 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 17 February 2014

The hotel is a beautiful Victorian building. The bar and restaurants are all marble and look beautiful. However, the bedrooms aren't so nice. They're ok. The bed was very comfortable, but the bottom sheet had holes in it and the bedspread was a polyester thing that just wouldn't stay on the bed. The room wasn't that big and the view was onto the back of the hotel with other buildings around a small courtyard area. The shower was ok, but I would have expected more than a plastic shower fitting from a 4 star hotel. Check in and check out was very smooth and the staff very friendly and helpful. When I arrived the remote for the tv wouldn't work. I called reception and they sent someone up with new batteries within a few minutes (although you would have thought housekeeping would check things like that regularly!). Overall it was ok, the location was great with Trafalgar Sq and the Southbank very close by. Not sure I would rush back again though.

Room Tip: We were at the back of the hotel. No view at all, but also no noise whatsoever.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,621)

Reviewed 16 February 2014

I travel a lot with work. As a result of that I plan on making more effort with Trip Advisor but this experience has inspired me to make this my contribution to the site in a while. Company bookings have a way of going slightly wrong sometimes..card details not sent, reservations not confirmed, even silly things like they forgot to book the breakfast. Some hotels (like The Mandeville for example) leave an extremely bitter taste in the mouth. Like pouring a big glass of ice cold milk when you're really thirsty and then when you drink it, it's gone off....

The Grand was NOT one of those hotels. And there WAS an error with my booking too. But not on the fault of the hotel. Instead, it was the travel company who book all of our travel who had caused the issue.... Still..., that didn't stop the guy who checked me in on the 11th of Feb 2014 (who's name I sadly cant remember) from resolving the situation on their behalf without so much as a sigh. The hotel reception is impressive, the layout reeks of upper class and the decor is...well...decadent. But that air of slimy entitlement that you might associate with an establishment of this calibre was completely missing. Checking into my room, I found it nicely decorated, immaculately clean, comfortable and well equipped but it was the little things... the ipod/iphone docking station, the free wi-fi, the USB ports built into the side of the bed frame for charging your devices as well, that made the difference.

This hotel was a pleasure from check-in to check-out. The only thing that let it down a little for me, was the staff attending the restaurant for breakfast. I stayed two nights and although the staff were different from one day to the next I received the same service. No good morning or greeting of any kind, I asked if I should sit anywhere and was told yes. I received no explanation as to the continental, to help myself, where the coffee was...nothing. Although yes, I found it all without issue, they could have been a little more engaging. On the first morning, I had my bill pushed under my nose while I was shoveling my eggs Benedict into my face which, I found somewhat rude of the young gentlemen on duty.

The food however, was lovely! Nicely presented, well cooked and thoroughly enjoyable. I feel somewhat bad for highlighting the poor restaurant service on account of the fact that the rest of the team done this hotel a service during my stay. Even the housekeeper who cleaned my room as I worked (I did say she could) was gracious and friendly and to top it all off, its location is excellent. I reported my happiness (minus the restaurant issue) to Daniel Laguarta - The Guest Services Manager who checked me out who I'm pleased to say finalised the visit with a humble and gracious acceptance of my compliments.

Its safe to say that I would return to The Grand without hesitation.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Pete N
Reviewed 16 February 2014

What I simply loved about the hotel was the staff; they were friendly, accommodating, kind and really took care of us. Towards the end of my trip, after I had already check out they not only kept our luggage for us while we went for our last round of shopping in the city but also offered me private room near the lobby to accommodate my shopping in my luggage before my flight. I have never seen such service before. The location was another plus, it’s so close to many attractions and well located in case you wish to take a quick bus/tube ride (less than 2 minutes walking). The hotel has a supermarket close by, in case of any emergency needs. The lobby & restaurants were beautifully done up too, ‘Grand’ just like the name. I wish the room were better decorated, although the staff did their best at cleanliness & upkeep. The bathroom was a bit small too but I guess that’s not unusual in most countries in Europe. I highly recommend the hotel, if it fits in your budget.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We stayed for three nights in mid January and enjoyed the hotel. It was right in the heart of the city walking distance to all the sights. The staff treated us well and the room was very nice. Lots of wonderful pubs with great atmosphere and good pub food. The Sherlock Holmes is a must for a pint and Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese should not be over looked.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mitchell6family
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I only stayed here for three nights, but I could not have found a better hotel. Its central location, the lovely staff and its ambiance made the hotel an excellent accommodation for my weekend. The staff was always very amiable and helpful whenever I had a request. Not only great recommendations for nearby restaurants but also directions and location plans were no problem for them. The hotel could not be closer to Trafalgar Square, from where one has good connections to any mayor place in the city. And both Big Ben and the House of Parliament are within walking distance.
The price was very reasonable, regarding both the room and the service/bar. The room was perfectly clean, which I appreciated a lot.
Definetely returning in Summer.

Room Tip: I would rather you chose a room that has a window to the east.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

You really can't beat the location of this hotel. IMO, that is its best feature. The rooms are fine but nothing special. Free purified water was a great perk!! I would have appreciated a safe in the room. Be forewarned that in winter, the hotel restaurant doesn't serve food. Had nuts and olives for my first dinner in London.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 February 2014

The location of this hotel was the main reason I'd chosen it. I booked a few months back, so also got a reasonably good deal by London standards.

Upon arrival, I was impressed by the charming late Victorian lobby and dining area/bar, furnished exquisitely and tastefully. Check-in was a breeze and my room was on the third floor.

My room was adequately sized. The bed looked comfy and the amenities in the bathroom were high end. There were tea and coffee making facilities, although a biscuit or something might have been nice to go along with it (yeah, I admit I was petty much starving by the time I checked in).

I'd noticed in the corridor that they offered chilled water stations for guests, as well as something called 'guest lockers', where you could help yourself to any further amenities you may require (e.g. shower caps, dental rinse etc). Those were nice touches I felt. More hotels should follow suit, especially when it comes to providing water.

Now we come to something that unfortunately I've experienced in hotels quite a few times before: temperature issues in the room. It was a little cold when I arrived, no problem, so I turned up the temperature, only to find it got too hot during the night. Eventually I turned it down again and it was fine.

Whilst the bed itself was comfy enough as expected, the thin sheet/very heavy synthetic blanket combination was not something I'm used to sleeping in. I found the blanket kept slipping down and several times I had to rearrange the whole bedding. It may just be a preference thing, but it didn't work for me. Ordinary blanket for me moving forward, I think.

Breakfast was nice with both cooked and continental options. I stuck to the latter, and pus points for offering lots of fruit. The cheese was nice too.

Check-out was super fast and the hotel just emailed me the receipt. No paper necessary.

All in all, I had a good night out at the theatre minutes away and the hotel was perfect for my purposes in that respect.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo