“Great location”

The Grand at Trafalgar Square
Ranked #263 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

Have stayed here twice now and both times the level of service has been excellent. Large comfortable rooms that are well equipped. The hotel is right on the door step of trafalgar square and a short walk to the west end. Also right by the river. If your looking for a base to explore London then this is the place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2014
Write a ReviewReviews (1,604)

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Check-in not smooth as it was to be all by computer and self-service but it would not work so done by reception. Quick easy checking in would be super. We would go back as location is super. Room clean and like new. Very nice. Breakfast pricy. Only two tea bags in room. TV not easily viewable from bed. Remote well used as all print worn off. TV great if not difficult to view. Room quiet and bedding great. Water down the hall but all one wants. It is very near elevator and your fill the bottles yourself. On leaving receipt for room not available which is a concern. Just a copy of the bill would be a wonderful addition by reception would not provide. This no final room bill needs to be changed and now.

Room Tip: Do not know.
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Stayed here over night on the way back from a 3 day Parisian break and on the way home.
We took a taxi from Eurostar that was relatively quick and inexpensive.
It's location meant we were down the road from the Mall, Big Ben, Trafalgar and the River Thames and Embankment. Charging Cross railway station was at the end of the road as was a pontoon to access the Thames Clipper service so we could fit in a river trip before heading off to our train home.
The room was decorated in dark wood so looked dismal. It felt very business like with a desk etc.
The air con was poor and too noisy so I did not sleep easily.
The staff was pleasant, the restaurant prices were high.
You can get a superb full English cooked breakfast in Garfunkels a few doors along, for £ 5.99.
We booked on line and got a good deal that made this hotel cheaper than a Premier.!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Susan B
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Having stayed 1 night at this marvellous with 2 children from the moment we arrived all staff were so helpful and the location great to see the sights of London The bedroom was large just right no noise perfect Bathroom the same Perfect. Breakfast was Excellent words fail me. Most tourist attractions a short walk or the bus or rail is handy if you buy a daily ticket. All in all the Grand I found is in a great location and gives excellent service from arrival to departure and lives up to its name. I would certainly return again and recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The choice is yours to choose from in this Great Hotel
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 122wirral
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Very grand and smart entrance and reception areas and some good features such as easy accessed free wifi - offered lots of great facilities for business users. I 'd say best for a no frills business stop over. Although well sited and convenient for theatres. Pictures on the site suggest it's something really special and we chose this for a romantic night away to see a play. It was disappointing. I requested a quiet room - the photos on the site show large very elegant rooms. Ours was pokey and there was noisy building work going on outside. The view was a brick wall directly outside the window. There are numerous rooms in a warren of corridors and all looks very standardised, no character at all. For the price I was expecting something really smart and luxurious but it was pretty basic - no choice of teas or facecloths for example. Umbrella provided was a nice touch though. Iced water supposed to be provided but had to walk around the corridors and then once we had found it t had run out of bottles. Soaps tea etc provided were fine for one person. We noted there are a lot of services and facilities listed but you have to go and find them in various locations - would be much better provided in the room. Breakfast was expensive but freshly cooked and good range of fresh food available. I asked for a better room and receptionist was very helpful and friendly and offered to find a better room but when she looked said she only had similar rooms. Last straw was that the whopping price we paid didn't even include breakfast. What a shame.

Room Tip: Ask for a large room and a view!
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Living in the UK and on a Megabus route, I usually go to London 4 or 5 times a year for pleasure. Having friends in the area usually means I'll stay with them, but sometimes a hotel stay is dictated and I like to spend around £100-125 a night at most in the area of my choosing.

As we were doing a sightseeing trip this time, The Grand at Trafalgar Square seemed ideal. I've stayed at The Park Plaza on the South Bank previously, as well as the Hilton Doubletree at Victoria and both were pleasant stays, however I feel The Grand trumps them both while being in the same budget when I booked. Location is even better than it appeared on the map - getting the tube from Victoria to Embankment was only a few stops then a few minutes walk. You can practically see both the South Bank if you look right, and Trafalgar Square if you look left. It's without doubt the best area I've ever stayed in.

We arrived at the hotel at 11.30am after what can only be described as a terrible morning. Multiple delays on our coach, ending us being shifted onto a replacement service that was hot, uncomfortable and meant we'd missed our fast track booking at one of the attractions. We were met with genuine sympathy at reception, and the good news that because we were there after 11am and a room was available, we could get settled in straight away at no additional charge.

The quality of service from the staff was consistently high throughout the trip - we had a few requests, and each was met with a smile and fast service. A fridge to store leftover food and drinks? Housekeeping were rung immediately and it was there and plugged in for us on our return. A knife and fork from the restaurant to take upstairs? Not a problem again. Every interaction was very pleasant, and we were made to feel welcome with every request we had.

The room itself was on the 3rd floor, facing the rear - no scenic view but absolutely silent which was much appreciated. It was also larger than expected, and with good amenities including a makeup mirror in the bathroom - which itself had an excellent shower - a working TV (which isn't always the case even in expensive hotels!) covering most of the Freeview channels as well as Sky Sports 1 through 3 and PPV options. The bed was comfortable and had good access to plugs and USB chargers. The desk had a section for Ethernet internet access as well as the ability to connect a computer to the TV, however ours didn't seem to have the connections behind the panel. I'm sure if this was required, an alternate room would have been provided but this was the last thing on our minds.

On to something that most of the reviews mention, but deservedly so - the ice machine and water dispenser on each floor is a great touch, and incredibly useful. Being able to grab a bottle of fresh, cold water before heading out meant not having to queue in the local Tesco just to pay for the exact same thing. The ice machine, like all technology, had a few breakdowns over the weekend but it was only a matter of going to a different floor and using one there instead. Equally, the business centre that had a few computers and printers to use free of charge had a couple of technical issues, including the PrintMe service being down (this allows you to print from your phone/computer on the wifi in your room then pick the printout on the 1st floor). Again, it's technology and it's something that's always going to be prone to issues and not something that I feel should be warrant of complaint. I was still able to print my tickets out by going to my email on the computer and printing from there. The in room WiFi didn't always get perfect signal on my phone, but I'm sure if I had my laptop it wouldn't have been an issue. The fact the services were all part of the room charge as opposed to an additional fee at an outrageous rate was incredibly welcome.

Other services that are offered include a shopping run - everything was reasonably priced, such as a bottle of Budweiser for £1.49 each. There's a small charge for this on top, but again nothing to break the bank. A lot of hotels in this class feel the need to nickel and dime at every opportunity, but I didn't get that feeling from The Grand at all.

We didn't eat at the restaurant bar, but did pop our heads in. It seemed very nice, and the prices weren't too awful if you only wanted a relaxing drink before bed. Given that most of the area is chain restaurants and the odd bar, it would make a nice option if you didn't want to venture too far. The menu looked reasonably priced and I had no reason to expect it wasn't of high quality. There's also a hallway leading through to Bianco 43, an Italian restaurant also accessible on the high street. We did eat there, and I'll review that separately. Spoiler: It's great.

Overall I couldn't fault the hotel or the service we received, and I know if I need to stay in the area again, I'll be checking availability and recommending The Grand to my friends.

One last thing - if you stayed in Room 327 after me, can I please have my Ray-Bans back please? Thanks! ;)

Reviewed 10 August 2014

The size of the room was comfortable and adequate for two with ample drawer and closet space. Bathroom was also large in comparison to the many B&Bs around London. The location was centrally located next to Trafalgar Square, National Gallery, many tourist attractions, countless restaurants, and the Underground. Location was important since we packed only a rollaway and had to roll our luggage from the Underground Tube to the hotel (just minutes from the Tube). Leon at the front desk was exceptionally professional and courteous. Bathroom came with bath soap, shampoo, conditioner, and a shower cap. We really enjoyed having chilled bottled water which we refilled everyday before heading out to visit the attractions. The major disadvantage to this hotel was being located in Trafalgar Square which is overly crowded with tourists from around the world. It is especially crowded at night.