“A holiday in our home town!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of St. Alfeges

St. Alfeges
Ranked #157 of 573 London B&B and Inns
london
“A holiday in our home town!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

My husband booked us a night here for a birthday treat as we only live the other side of London but had no time for a long trip away. We arrived on the very exciting DLR to the Cutty Sark station and within minutes were sitting having a welcoming cup of tea at No.16. We were staying in the Yellow room and after a day of bric a brac shopping and a local plate of whitebait we could think of no better way to spend our Saturday evening than sitting reading under a blanket in our cosy room watching the snow fall across the lamplights and church outside - it seemed like we were in a Thomas Hardy novel.

After a mighty fine cooked breakfast and another chat with Robert, the owner, we decided to take the boat home along the river and while standing on the dock with 2 vintage suitcases we had purchased from Greenwich market we felt very well travelled.

I can't emphasis enough how Mr Gray has managed to create a homely but stylish B and B without falling into the overhyped "boutique hotel" trap that seems to be hitting smaller lodging establishments at the moment.

Overseas visitors will be delighted with the Englishness here and I would recommend all Londoners to take a night off and stay at no16.

Room Tip: The rooms are a little bit wonky due to it being an old building but this is a positive not a negati...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank bureaudechange

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Stafford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2012

I recently stayed for one night at No. 16. It was the week before Christmas and I was welcomed by mulled wine and mince pies by the owners Robert and Nick. I sat in the guest lounge talking to the owners and their friends. After my hectic day visiting numerous museums and galleries it was a lovely way to relax and wind down.

I stayed in the blue room which was tastefully decorated with attractive antique furniture and was very quiet. The room has an en-suite bathroom with fluffy towels and an invigorating rainshower.

I arrived early for breakfast and sat chatting to Robert and Nick while breakfast was being prepared. Robert cooked me delicious scrambled eggs but I could have had a full English breakfast. Cereals and fruit juices were also available.

I loved this attractive, friendly B&B and I would definitely stay there again if visiting Greenwich.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank Hatton
New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2010

This B&B is excellent. The owners Robert & Nick and absolutely lovely. I would recommend this place to anyone who's looking for a place where there are very friendly owners and lovely clean and wonderfully decorated rooms.
There was a really nice cooked breakfast available in the mornings and Robert and Nick were really helpful to chat with about the area and things to do and see around London.
It's right in between two tube stations - only three minutes walk at most.
Free and very good Wifi was available in the room and a really good selection of Cable TV channels.
There are really good places to eat too - including an excellent sushi place - yummo!
I would definitely recommend this lovely B&B to anyone.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
4 Thank EmmaisinNZ
Barbados
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2008

I was looking for something different for a short stay in London and this place fits the bill exactly. So often the big name hotels in London rarely deliver what they promise so I decided to do Bed and Breakfast for a change.

I was greated warmly by the owner Robert Gray, who offered me tea and biscuits on arrival while we had a quick informal chat. He explained about the local attractions and transport links which I found very helpful.

The room was fine ( the yellow room) and quite adequate in size although it was lacking a little maintenance, particularly in the bathroom. Breakfast was taken downstairs in Robert's private area. The food was cooked well and the fresh orange juice, fruit and a choice of cereals was more than I expected.

At £90 for a twin room this represents a no frills, honest and friendly, value for money stay and I would stay again with pleasure.

• Liked — The welcome
  • Disliked — Room and bathroom lacked maintenance
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
10 Thank LondonParis&Roam
Kidderminster,England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2007

I booked to stay for 2 nights at this bed and breakfast having found it on the Alastair Sawday website.

I was attending a 3 day course near Bank Tube station in the City of London. The property is located in a quiet street about 3 minutes walk from Cutty Sark DLR station so, door to door, it took me 30 minutes to get to the office in the City-ideal!

The property has 2 double bedrooms and a single bedroom-all ensuite. Upon making the booking Nick, one of the proprietors, made it quite clear that the single room was small.

Upon arrival I was welcomed by Robert, the other proprietor, and took a seat in the guests' lounge whilst he made me a mug of tea and biscuits. The lounge is so quaint and full of character as it has a number of antiques.(Robert used to have an antiques shop in the Kings Road )-a lovely room to relax, unwind in and read.

Robert took me to the single, pleasantly decorated bedroom on the first floor which was exactly as Nick had described on the telephone. However, although small, it was more than adequate -it had a large window overlooking the quiet street so was bright and airy. The Swedish bed was comfy and the ensuite, although small, was fitted with a shower cubicle, sink and toliet. The bedroom was clean, had a built in wardrobe, a flat screen tv and a radio.

Breakfast is served in the owners large basement breakfast kitchen.I could see my delicious food being cooked for me whilst I ate my cereal and chatted with Nick and Robert.

They are most delightful hosts who really make you feel at home and at £50 per night for bed and breakfast for the single room-what tremendous value!

Should I need to stay in that part of London again I would not hesitate to stay at St Alfeges once again.

Enjoy!

Alan Hope

• Liked — The homely feel of the property and the friendliness of the owners
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled on business