“Mice. Need I Say More?” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #930 of 1,086 Hotels in London
Stuttgart, Germany
“Mice. Need I Say More?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2013

Well, I can. This hotel is dirty and the staff are completely unhelpful. Due to a mistake I'd made, I made two separate bookings, one for the first two nights, and another for the second. They said they'd try to keep us in the same room, but they weren't sure if it would be possible. As we were going out for the day I decided to make sure we could stay in the same room. Nope! We'd have to move. They weren't going to inform us, however, so what would have happened with all our stuff unpacked in our first room if I hadn't asked? After seeing the mouse in my room at 2am, I complained to the staff the next day. No sympathy was given and I was told I should have informed them the previous night - even though it was late and the hotel was full. What would they have done? They also said they "used" to have a problem with mice but not anymore, but the mouse trap underneath the wardrobe makes that unlikely, combined with the fact that I SAW A MOUSE IN OUR ROOM.

The second room we were moved to was worse than the first, although both had wall/carpet/bedspread stains, tiny flat pillows (with no extras) and gritty unpleasant sheets. The second room was in the basement and had mildew and mold. No way to open a window for ventilation, either.

On our last night I asked for a taxi to be called for us in the morning. We had only a few blocks to go to pick up our shuttle to the airport, but it was cold and I didn't want to lug our suitcases at 6am. Sure enough in the morning, no taxi had been called. When they did call us one, it wasn't a real, regulated London taxicab at all, but a minivan, some relative or friend of the hotel, I'm assuming. He charged us 15 pounds to go 8 blocks - several times what the taxi would have charged. I was furious but had no time to argue as we were already late for our shuttle bus.

I stay in a lot of budget European hotels and find most of them quite pleasant, but this is the worst I've encountered by far.

Room Tip: At the very least, avoid the basement rooms.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sarah B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Finnish first
Bath, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2013

Stayed there for one night and got a good deal at the last minute (not through lastminute.com though); the deal even got better when I was upgraded to a bigger room at no extra cost. Very modern, though compact, bathroom. The only moan I have is whenever the people in the room above were walking I could hear it, and they seemed to walk a lot, even at small hours of the night. Breakfast (continental) was decent. The location was very central though. Just steps away from Earls Court tube station.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank gamfruit
shrewsbury
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2013

Good location for earls court & Kensington, hotel rooms basic but adequate only problem is we had a twin room and the bed lay out was end to end due to narrow room this was odd especially trying to watch tv ,also hot and cold water back to front so cold hot & hot cold & finally wardrobe space very limited

Room Tip: Ask if you can have. Room where beds are not end to end
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Peterborough, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2013

My son and I spent five nights at the St. Mark in January 2013. The rooms were clean, we had a private shower and toilet, a microwave and a small sink, and a friendly staff. We were out all day and just came back to the hotel to sleep, and get ready for the next days adventures. In the morning there is a minimal breakfast of coffee, tea, toast and jam, cereal, orange juice and boiled eggs. My son and I went to London on a budget, and this hotel was everything that we needed. It is in a great location, just a short walk to the tube and the overground. I would highly recommend this hotel, although it would probably be unsuited to anyone who wished to stay in their room most of the day.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Edward G
Carmarthen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2013

We paid 55 quid for one night B&B in a twin room. Excellent value! Central location, yet on a lovely side street with private gardens so a quiet night's sleep can be had.
Very clean and tidy room, a bit basic, but everything you need. In fact there was a microwave and fridge in our room so if you are doing a budget stay, you can have a night or two of basic self catering :-) There were plenty of clean towels, more coffee than starbucks and clean bedding on the beds.
It's a tall building with no lift, so if as I was, you are treating your 73 year old mum to a christmas break - ask for a first floor room!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Bronwyddbob
Cagliari, Italy
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2013

I spend a night in this hotel this week. St. Mark is well collocated in south London, very close to the Earl's Court underground station. The hotel is like more others hotels in London. I think that in Italy some of them will be closed, particulary for safety. My room was under the street and the windows was unlocked. The light and the fan of the bathroom couldn't swith off. So, i had big problem for my sleep. The furnishing was old, particulary the carpet and the covers. Breakfast has been good. The personal of the hotel has been kindly and available to satisfy our needs.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Coccus69

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Coventry
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2012 via mobile

This hotel is close to the tube station. This is its only positive feature.

We arrived at 3.15 pm and were greeted by a badly soiled double mattress in the small reception hall. We should have left, but we had already paid.

The receptionist was talking on the phone, ignoring us for several mins while on a personal call and then asked us for photo id. He then tried to photocopy it... Not trusting this man whatsoever I asked why we needed to photocopy our Id. He couldn't answer and he also couldnt tell us what he would be doing with our information. We refused to let him photocopy it as we had proved the booking was ours and had paid upfront. He didn't like it but I don't like risking identity fraud so there you go.

We went upstairs ( no lift ) and had to weave in and out of piles of dirty sheets, towels, bags of rubbish and cleaning equipment ( which clearly was underused ). Our room was small and the bed pushed against one wall so bad luck if u are on that side and need to pee in the night!

The bedspread was dirty, the pillows stupidly thin and the mattress lumpy. The carpets are heavily soiled and the decor grubby. The bathroom was not very clean, but was cleaner than the room itself. The sink was small and leaky and the shower felt like you were being wee'd on!

After no sleep we went to breakfast. This was terrible, warm milk with stale cereal or stale bread to toast yourself ( after queuing ) and spread with almost liquid butter and horrible marmalade. You could wash it down with instant coffee or warm oj....lucky you! It wasn't worth the effort of going into the dingy basement to get it and for the poor girls who came down at 9.20 they got nothing as the coffee had run out and the bread was gone but they were told they were too late, even though it was meant to be till 9.30.

We packed and left, walking past the soiled mattress which was still in reception.
A terrible terrible stay in a simply awful disgusting and horrible hotel...but its close to the tube station, so that's a plus! Lol

• Stayed December 2012