“Convenient location but horrible hotel” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of St. Mark Hotel

St. Mark Hotel
Ranked #930 of 1,086 Hotels in London
“Convenient location but horrible hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2013 via mobile

This hotel is conveniently located near the tube station situated in a road of hotels. We had a room for one night and had the room opposite the reception which was noisy. There is no lift in this hotel and it has multiple floors so be warned! Our room had marks all over the carpet and ceiling and was in need of redecoration. The ceiling leaked water when the guests upstairs took a shower. The bed was comfortable. The breakfast was very limited to toast and cereal only. And breakfast is promptly shut down at 9.30 with things being rapidly removed from under guests noses! I would not wish to stay on this hotel again!

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank Piglet-lane

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Finnish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

5 minutes to large underground station is the bigest advantage. Rooms are clean, though very small. Breakfast was fine but eating space is tiny. Sometime one had to wait a while before there was space available. Staff was helpful and kind..

Room Tip: Triple rooms are the same size as double, just with another bed, so it is quite tight in those.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Bartek M
Northampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2013

Hotels in Earls Court during the London Book Fair are never cheap, but £89 for this shabby place felt like a rip off. I booked a single room, and the room I got was indeed the size of a single room in a half decent hotel. Unfortunately, this enclosed space contained a double bed and two single beds with next to no space between them. Maybe this was a blessing in disguise as the small amount of carpet that was visible looked worn and dirty.
My room was on the top floor of this hotel which has no lifts, fortunately not much of a struggle for me with a small overnight bag, but this could be a problem for families and elderly or infirm travellers.
Suspecting that similar hygiene standards would apply to the kitchen as to my bedroom, I declined the price-inclusive breakfast.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank KenK61

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013 via mobile

When you book online with a search based on "Cheap hotel Earls Court" the St Mark comes top of the list, as it is cheap. In every sense. So if you have given up on camping and Youth Hostels, and just want a bed, a shower that works, and you're not too bothered about a decent breakfast - this is the place for you.
Don't bring a cat, as there is nowhere to swing it!
The heating was on, but rather overpowering, and to balance this there was a large fan over the bed.
Bathroom was 'bijou' with the smallest sink I have ever seen. The shower was nice, but toiletries were cheap and nasty, in packages that wouldn't tear open. There was one that was pre-torn. I generously thought this was pre-prepared for me as I didn't want to consider that it hadn't been checked since the last occupant! Eeeew.
Breakfast was just like being at home. And not in a good way. Orange juice (not chilled) out of the carton, and bread out of the Kingsmill wrappers. Toaster was the same one we have at home but I opted for just the muesli (which was good) and milk (again, not chilled).
Location was v good, just 5 minutes from Earls Court Tube, and where I needed to be for my meeting.
A little attention to details could improve the hotel considerably!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Chris N
Stuttgart, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2013

Well, I can. This hotel is dirty and the staff are completely unhelpful. Due to a mistake I'd made, I made two separate bookings, one for the first two nights, and another for the second. They said they'd try to keep us in the same room, but they weren't sure if it would be possible. As we were going out for the day I decided to make sure we could stay in the same room. Nope! We'd have to move. They weren't going to inform us, however, so what would have happened with all our stuff unpacked in our first room if I hadn't asked? After seeing the mouse in my room at 2am, I complained to the staff the next day. No sympathy was given and I was told I should have informed them the previous night - even though it was late and the hotel was full. What would they have done? They also said they "used" to have a problem with mice but not anymore, but the mouse trap underneath the wardrobe makes that unlikely, combined with the fact that I SAW A MOUSE IN OUR ROOM.

The second room we were moved to was worse than the first, although both had wall/carpet/bedspread stains, tiny flat pillows (with no extras) and gritty unpleasant sheets. The second room was in the basement and had mildew and mold. No way to open a window for ventilation, either.

On our last night I asked for a taxi to be called for us in the morning. We had only a few blocks to go to pick up our shuttle to the airport, but it was cold and I didn't want to lug our suitcases at 6am. Sure enough in the morning, no taxi had been called. When they did call us one, it wasn't a real, regulated London taxicab at all, but a minivan, some relative or friend of the hotel, I'm assuming. He charged us 15 pounds to go 8 blocks - several times what the taxi would have charged. I was furious but had no time to argue as we were already late for our shuttle bus.

I stay in a lot of budget European hotels and find most of them quite pleasant, but this is the worst I've encountered by far.

Room Tip: At the very least, avoid the basement rooms.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sarah B
Bath, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2013

Stayed there for one night and got a good deal at the last minute (not through lastminute.com though); the deal even got better when I was upgraded to a bigger room at no extra cost. Very modern, though compact, bathroom. The only moan I have is whenever the people in the room above were walking I could hear it, and they seemed to walk a lot, even at small hours of the night. Breakfast (continental) was decent. The location was very central though. Just steps away from Earls Court tube station.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank gamfruit
shrewsbury
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2013

Good location for earls court & Kensington, hotel rooms basic but adequate only problem is we had a twin room and the bed lay out was end to end due to narrow room this was odd especially trying to watch tv ,also hot and cold water back to front so cold hot & hot cold & finally wardrobe space very limited

Room Tip: Ask if you can have. Room where beds are not end to end
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business