“Lunch Lady needs to be replaced!”
Review of LSE Passfield Hall

LSE Passfield Hall
Ranked #91 of 929 Speciality Lodging in London
Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

Great location and decent room for a student dorm but if they are going to rent out rooms they should advise their staff to treat guests with respect. The women serving the breakfast buffet is rude and one might think she was the inspiration for a Seinfeld episode.

• Stayed: September 2013

Reviewed 1 October 2013

Arrived a little early for booking in but this proved to be no problem as our room was ready and we were made to feel very welcome by the staff who seemed to be very happy in their work.
We had a twin room with our own bathroom which faced the road to the right as you look at the front of the building, I was very surprised that it was so quiet.
The accomadation is basic but roomy,it is not 5 star but neither is the cost!
The breakfast was excellent with the finest sausages and fresh coffee I have had in a hotel of any star rating.
We found the breakfast staff as pleasant as the front desk ,but please note that you can only go to for food once, I went back for a cake that I had not chosen on my 1st visit and was told I could only go once.
I aplogised nicely to the young lady, smiled and explained. I went back to join my wife at the table and the charming lady brought me my cake on a plate.
I like little things like that but will only go around once next time.
An overall enjoyable trip, who spends much time in their room when in London?
I would reccommend to friends.

Room Tip: We were on ground floor and had no problems with noise
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I was booked into this dump by an employer. Peeling wallpaper, damp stains on the ceiling, carpets so stained that who had to wear shoes at all times and terrible shared shower and toilets. This property is sub standard student accommodation that reflects badly on the LSE and Tripadvisor who apparently gave it some sort of award. I strongly advise any visitor to London to steer well clear of this appalling dump. However the staff were pleasant.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I booked this place without realising it was a student hall. Had I know, I actually would have booked it. Having had trouble a few weeks back finding my way from my accomodation to the theatre, and forking out a small fortune on a taxi to get me back to the hotel following the performance to ensure that I got back safely without getting lost, this time, I booked the closest accomadation to the theatre I was going to see a performance, and as LSE Passfield Hall was the closest, I booked it without actually reading any information about it. After booking, it was then I went onto the website for information about the accomadation, and when I realised I'd booked a student hall, I was absolutely horrified, and was really dreading my stay. However, I must say, I was pleasantly surprised. It was a short walk away from Euston Road tube station, which goes direct from Paddington station, which is the station I arrive at when travelling from home to London. The room was very clean, and even though it was a single room, it wasn't particularly small. In fact, it was bigger than the single room I stayed in at the last London hotel I stayed at, which was the St Giles Hotel. The temperature was perfect - it wasn't too hot at all, which was a fear I had following my stay at the St Giles in June, which was too hot to sleep. It was a nice, quiet location and I had an undisturbed sleep. The room wasn't en-suite, but it did have a sink, and toilets and shower rooms were right by me. The hotel provided a towel, shower gel, shampoo/conditioner and a plastic cup, which was very much appreciated as I could get a drink from the tap of the sink in my room if I got thirsty at night. Free wi-fi was provided. There was no television in the room, which was a bit of a bummer, but there is a large flat screen TV in the lounge area, which I watched after returning from the theatre for an hour before going to bed. Nobody was watching it, and when I'd passed the lounge area earlier that afternoon/evening, nobody was in there watching it, so if you want to watch tv, you'll probably be ok. Either that or take a laptop or tablet or something with you and watch tv in your room on that device using the free wi-fi provided. The accomodation is also in a quiet area. I had no trouble at all sleeping. And the bed was very comfortable. The reception staff were very friendly, although they didn't take me all the way to my room. They took me up to a certain point, and then waved me in the direction of my room. It took me a while to actually find my room. When I did find my room, when I left my room to go out, I had great difficulty finding my way out - signs should be provided pointing guests in the way of the exit. Breakfast was very tasty, although the pain au chocolat was overcooked - it was almost black. All of them in the basket were like that, as were other bakery items provided. Apart from that though, breakfast was very tasty, and there was a good choice of items. My only problem was the time breakfast was served - 8am, which I feel is a bit late. I was told by the reception staff that this was 'because it's the weekend'. What does this have to do with it? People have early morning trains to catch on the weekend too! I would have appreciated breakfast at 7.30am. I had to wolf my food down as I had a train to catch. I also found the attitude of the staff that served breakfast rather cold and unfriendly - unlike the service I'd received from the reception staff. All in all, it was a good stay. I would definitely stay here again. It suited my needs at the time just fine. I only needed a place to rest my head for the night while staying in London for one night to see a show, and for that, it was perfect. I would stay here again and would definitely recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Ask to be placed in the quietest room possible - away from the road, and away from the dining/patio...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 September 2013

First impression, the place was nicely presented and there seemed to be quiet a few students staying here. Overall the room was good (basic) but very clean and had everything we needed. THe actual layout isn;t really suited to accommodation, you have to go up flights and flights of stairs and in and out of buildings to get to your room.

Now on to the breakfast good selection, but horrible machine tea and coffee, now I don't expect a lot considering we payed 72 quid for a night and breakfast is included, but honestly some of the cooked breakfast was almost in-ediable and it looked like it had been sitting in the hot cabinet for a few hours. My advice either do breakfast well or don't serve it at all and make the room prices cheaper.

Room Tip: Ask for one as close to the entrance as possible, otherwise you will find yourself walking in and ou...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Put aside any concerns you may have over Uni type accommodation. This is clean, well maintained accommodation in an excellent location, close to Euston station and in the lovely leafy Bloomsbury area. Staff are excellent and very helpful. Breakfast is buffet style though reasonably enough, given the low cost, you are limited to the number of cooked items that you can have. Unlimited toast, coffee, tea, juice though. If the weather is good, the dining room has a nice terrace leading off.
So far I have gone only for a room with shared bathroom but have not found this a problem, never had to queue to shower. All rooms have a handbags in.
The kitchens are well equipped with white goods though cutlery and crockery and pans limited. You can collect a mug, tea bags, coffee and sugar from reception for free so you can brew up any time.

Room Tip: There isn't really any road noise as this is located down a quiet street but front and high are...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Just a few minutes walk from euston station, a clean room with plenty of furniture and plenty of choice for breakfast at £43 a night. It's a basic room with a desk, phone, wardrobe, bed and sink - TV is in the common room in the basement. Bathrooms were shared, but toiletries and small towel provided, although I noticed that despite staying 2 nights, I was only given bathroom supplies for one day. Breakfast over the weekend is served 8-10am. Unfortunately I had to leave earlier than that on Sunday and they would not do me a take-away breakfast or let me take more stuff the day before. Also, the breakfast is limited to 6 items, and I've no idea how they count the 6 items because everyone seemed to have more than me. Noise in the room can be a problem - can clearly hear people in the hall and next door - and even when they plug in electricals or turn the tap on! However, for the price I would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo