“Classic Italian way above other restaurants nearby”

La Barca Ristorante
Ranked #891 of 23,562 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Service pleasant and attentive. Great starters - seafood salad was nearly a main course and insalata tricolore splendid. Veal kidneys with mushrooms served with rice delightful as was the rack of lamb which came with nice french fries. Not cheap, but excellent.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

The night I dined was a bit slow, and I guess for sport, the waiters decided to start arguing with each other about who had a table outside. There were a lot of arms flailing, but I couldn't understand what they were saying and the youngest waiter ended up going outside. I guess the table must have been bad tippers, and seniority ruled! Anyway, it felt like a private show for me.
Outside of the entertainment, the food is good, but pricey. I would stick to the house favorite, which is Seafood Pasta en Papilllote. They bring out a steaming bag and slice it open at your table, allowing the steam to work it's way up your nostrils. It's pretty enticing and another great bit of showmanship.
Overall, the ambience is old school, well dressed waiters and waitresses, real tablecloths, and pictures of faded actors from the 1980's. It's a little campy, but at least the food is good, so mangia, mangia!

Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

A lovely surprise just around the corner from Waterloo station.

Beautiful food, generous portions.

Try and grab a table outside (weather permitting)

I would definitely go back if I was in the area

Reviewed 10 August 2014

I'm sorry not to have much to say on La Barca that is going to be different to other reviews.

It is a traditional Italian restaurant that is useful to know, situated as it is in a funny, out of the way place. Lower Marsh Street has the makings of being quite young and trendy, with Cubana at one end and Scooter Bar at the other. Cross the road, and you have the Young Vic and all the action on the Cut. And of course Waterloo station round the corner. So La Barca is here a bit on its own. If it was in Soho, then perhaps I would understand the prices, as that's the only thing here to object to. It really is a good 10-20% above par. Now if you want a dependable Italian meal, in a good setting (though we enjoyed sitting outside on a warm summer evening), with decently efficient service, and you're not too fussed about chasing down value for money, then this is a very useful place to know about. I had the veal, my friend the liver. Both pretty good portions, though you need to get side orders - and I mean one each, as that wasn't generous. The house red was servicable and decently priced at £19 a bottle.

I couldn't help overhearing that the adjacent table were very unhappy with how a steak was cooked and I wasn't really impressed with how the boss chose to argue the toss on what 'medium' meant. That really isn't the classy way to deal with a dispute (though it was taken off their bill). But we went away feeling very satisfied - a good find and I'll be back.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Yes the bill was pricy, but the service and food where excellent .If you hark back to the good old days, of great old school table service, and Crêpe Suzette being prepared at your table. Then this is the place in London to enjoy it .Lots of lovely old photographs of stage and screen actors, who have enjoyed the restaurant over the many years adorn the walls. I will defiantly be back for a special occasion .