“High expectations not met”
Review of Caprini Ristorante

Caprini Ristorante
Ranked #3,390 of 22,564 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
London, United Kingdom
“High expectations not met”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I came here with a friend, based on the good reviews on this website. As such I think my expectations were far too high.

While we browsing the straight forward menu and chatting about our options, a friendly Dutch customer next to us told us his pasta was tasteless...

I ordered a tuna pasta starter, which was a good size and OK. My friend had garlic bread, which was also a good size and "very garlicky".

I can't say that the menu options wowed me but I was looking forward to my risotto (the only one on the menu, IIRC). My friend ordered gnocchi, a dish he hadn't had for some time.

Unfortunately, when my dish arrived it was like no risotto I'd ever had (from an Italian restaurant at any rate). Like my starter, the taste was OK, but what disappointed me was that it was made with short-grain rice... when I challenged this later with the waitress, she did get the manager to come over, who explained that that was what the majority of his customers not only expected, but what they actually wanted (rather than risotto rice...).

I can not fault the service or the house red that we had, but I do prefer my Italian restaurants to be able to make a reasonable attempt at the "basics", such as risotto

• Visited May 2014

• Greek first
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Old fashioned trattoria with good food and service”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We visited the South Bank for the usual attractions, London Eye, National Theatre, Tate Gallery etc. usual theme restaurants along river bank, this fine original Italian restaurant just opposite Waterloo Station, five minutes walk away. Spaghetti with seafood was just that, not a plate of calamari and a few frozen prawns, but mussels, clams, gambas, and fresh prawns in a rich sauce. Good service and very reasonably priced, will definately return

• Visited May 2014
London
“A Bequest to the Nation”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

This restaurant survived under the bridge at Waterloo since the 1940's for one very good reason: it's excellent! It has kept on popular dishes like 'Chicken Kiev' when they've fallen out of fashion - but, lo and behold, they come back into fashion again. This probably the only restaurant in London to still be serving 'Tricolore Salad' and 'Prawn Cocktail' - so you can initiate youngsters into the tastes of the past. Service is friendly and relaxed and the quiet upstairs room an invitation to good conversation. Also, the restaurant boasts older waiters - always a sign of high civilisation and wonderful food.

Dorchester, United Kingdom
“Caprini's”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

What a little gem this place is, a good selection of food at reasonable prices for London, not far from Waterloo station. will definitely call there again when in the area, Belissimo.

London, United Kingdom
“Great Experience”
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I was looking for a spot recommended by Trip Advisor close to the hotel...found this hole in the wall Italian place near Waterloo Station, and can't recommend it enough. Great food, even great service (in London, no less!) and made to feel welcome as a single diner.

The food was wonderful, and the house wine was quite good.