“So disappointed”

Ranked #5,564 of 23,707 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$20 - US$28
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Auberge Waterloo is ideally located opposite Waterloo StationIf it’s a traditional French gastro you’re looking for, Auberge Waterloo is the one. Directly opposite Waterloo tube station, this rustic venue promises to charm your guests from the moment they enter. Serving top quality, freshly prepared, French inspired food from midday until late seven days a week, Auberge Waterloo is conveniently located within a short walk of the South Bank and it's attractions including the London Eye, and Royal Festival Hall. The ground floor recalls a Belgian beer hall with assorted dark wood seating and twisted iron fixtures, perfect for gathering the troops after work. Meanwhile, upstairs in the candle lit restaurant, diners can expect attentive service and an extensive menu of classic French dishes.
Reviewed 14 March 2012

I had read several great reviews of this bistro style restaurant, and was very much looking forward to our Saturday lunch. The upstairs restaurant was closed, and so we ate in the bar, but ordered off the main menu.
We started with the crab and avocado, which was lovely. But we ordered bread with it (£3 I think) which was a supermarket part baked baguette, badly cooked so it was part burnt and part undercooked. We put this down to the fact that we added it to our order rather late. Then I had the duck (with potato rosti) and my husband ordered the lamb (also with potatoes). These were both dishes that should have been cooked quickly at the last minute. we were asked how we would like them cooked, which led us to believe they would be freshly cooked. They both tasted as if they had been cooked the day before and had been reheated. I don't if they had been cooked when we ordered the starter and kept hot. The potatoes were inedible, the meat dried out.
I was so disappointed. We were surrounded by people eating off the bar menu, who seemed reasonably happy, so that may have been our mistake. We were due at the theatre tickets and so left without making a fuss. Also I didn't want to add to the unpleasantness of the experience as it was a special occasion. we will certainly never go there again.

Reviewed 17 February 2012

Asked for a corner table when I booked and that was granted so we were off to a good start. But the main course was bland with over cooked chicken, undercooked potatoes and tasteless ratatouille. The potatoes were supposed to be rosemary roasted....they didn't taste as if they had even looked at the rosemary. My friend liked her lamb though. We had dessert which was nice but left ASAP because the noise was unbearable and the service was slow. We waited for a long time for desserts, with nothing to drink because our wine had long gone and no one returned to see whether we wanted anything else. In the end I summoned someone to ask for water. When it came to getting the bill, again I had to walk up to the service point to ask for someone to help. Wouldn't return. I could understand if the food was good but it was just disappointing. We went down the road to a nice little italian for a coffee and some peace and quiet. The saving grace was my taste card which saved us over £20 between the two of us. I would not have wanted to pay the list price of £15.95 for my meal.

Reviewed 5 February 2012

The Auberge near Waterloo station is tucked behind a corner pub and across from the Union Jack Club on Sandell Street. Walk upstairs and you find yourself immediately in the restaurant which is inviting and cozy.

Table service was prompt and friendly and on this occasion of dining alone, made me feel warmly welcomed. There is a good wine list available by the glass (in varying sizes which seems standard in London) and a well rounded menu.

Food arrived in good time, was HOT and flavors were excellent. Bread is not delivered automatically, but is considered a side dish, thus avoiding the wastage of unwanted bread.

Ambience is casual and relaxed but a nice hip crowd it seems.

Often, when dining alone (the plague of the business traveller) one often feels the "bum's rush". Simply not the case at the Auberge. Good food and a nice evening, even as a solo act.

1  Thank heeler1
Reviewed 7 January 2012

The restaurant was not clean and desperately in need of refurbishment. The owners tried to hide this by very low candle lighting. This made reading the menu very difficult. It was also impossible to adequately inspect the food as we were eating. We ordered the entrecote steak, burger and mussels. The steak was very chewy, grisly, and poor. The burger was OK except for the soggy bun. The mussels were reasonable but the bread portion was mingy. The mat that they used to put under the casserole was so filthy that we were expecting it to walk off the table. The lemon tart for dessert is to be avoided!
On the positive side, the service was good and our waitress excellent and profesional.
Our first and last visit.

Reviewed 2 December 2011

Generally good food in bustling restaurant close to Waterloo. Pity only vegetable offered as a side dish was spinach. Ladies toilets disgusting, which lets the restaurant down.