“Not fresh products - made my girlfriend sick”
Review of Auberge - Waterloo

Auberge - Waterloo
Ranked #6,824 of 22,671 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$20 - US$28
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Auberge Waterloo is ideally located opposite Waterloo StationIf it’s a traditional French gastro you’re looking for, Auberge Waterloo is the one. Directly opposite Waterloo tube station, this rustic venue promises to charm your guests from the moment they enter. Serving top quality, freshly prepared, French inspired food from midday until late seven days a week, Auberge Waterloo is conveniently located within a short walk of the South Bank and it's attractions including the London Eye, and Royal Festival Hall. The ground floor recalls a Belgian beer hall with assorted dark wood seating and twisted iron fixtures, perfect for gathering the troops after work. Meanwhile, upstairs in the candle lit restaurant, diners can expect attentive service and an extensive menu of classic French dishes.
Paris, France
“Not fresh products - made my girlfriend sick”
Reviewed 31 July 2013

I went to this place with my girlfriend to get some mussels.

The room were the restaurant usually is was closed so we were seated in the ground floor room, were the bar is.

My girlfriend and i both ordered mussels (thai and à la provencale).
I was suspicious as soon as they arrived as they were not looking great and some small flies (food flies) were all around the place. Dumping all the "suspicious" mussels, I ended up eating about a third of the mussel I was served. The sauce (provencale) was tasteless.
My girlfriend was not so cautious and ate most of her mussels as the curry was covering the "non-freshness" of the mussels.
We went to this place on a very hot day and I would bet that the mussels were not properly stored in a cold area.

Frozen fries were undercooked and tasteless as well.

The waiter pretty much ignored me during the whole meal, speaking only ith my girlfriend.

This is supposed to be a french restaurant and there is for sure nothing french here (except a few posters), no even the music (hispanic).
Toilets are in very bad shape (door dented and barely closing).
Prices are expensive.

I would definitely recommand to avoid this restaurant. I ruined our stay in London as my girlfriend was sick all night and the next day.
If would give it a zero if I could.

• Visited July 2013
karen m, Guest Relations Manager at Auberge - Waterloo, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Dear Reviewer

Please be assured that our highly trained chefs store, prepare and cook all ingredients to the correct legal and company standard. I wish your partner all the very best but in the absence of laboratory tests any source of any contamination is assumption and not proven .

Regards

Karen

London England
“Good food but a bit pricey”
Reviewed 30 July 2013

The food was good but it is rather expensive when you realise that you have to pay close on £3 for a side dish to go with your main course.

Visited July 2013
Dear Customer

I am delighted that you enjoyed your meal and as we use the finest ingredients we are trying to offer all our customer value for money. I do hope that you will visit us again.

Kind Regards
London, United Kingdom
“Surprisingly OK!”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I had been to this restaurant with three female friends along time ago, in winter as I recall. We sat upstairs inside and I remember having mussels and chips and generally having a good time.

This time I went with a male friend and so again we went upstairs (especially as downstairs was a bit dead and more like a standard pub than a restaurant). Being the end of a hot day we went out to the terrace where everyone was sitting to enjoy the atmosphere. The funny thing is, you are right by one of the main lines into Waterloo Station - it's about 20 feet away from you, so it's a bit noisy. What was surprising was that the atmosphere was still good. I don't know why - maybe the good weather, maybe the amount of alcohol we had drunk.

The food was OK - I had mussels with chips again. Only had one bad one - mercifully at the end of the meal. It was actually black but for some reason didn't smell bad. A bit of a mystery as to what it was really but I didn't get ill. (Again maybe due to all the alcohol). My friend's food was OK too - he had fish, sea bass I think. Not really enough to fill him up but tasty by all accounts.

The service was slow to start but the waiter made up for it by apologizing and being efficient and friendly from then on. There were only two waiters on duty and seemed to have organised themselves so that one covered inside and the other outside, regardless of the numbers in each.

So, I'd probably go there again but I'd probably have a good drink again first to make sure I was mellow enough not to get tetchy if things weren't quite right.

Ah, one other thing, we had a voucher for a free main meal. Would probably thought it expensive without it.

Dear Reviewer

thank you for returning to us and your positive comments - always check websites for ongoing discounts.

Kind Regards

Karen
London, United Kingdom
“Just average.”
Reviewed 27 July 2013 via mobile

Even when it was pretty quite- food quality was moderate at best. Unless everywhere else is closed- try somewhere else.
Greek Salad was surprisingly dull.

• Visited July 2013
Thank you for your feedback which we have noted for our continued improvement.
Southbourne
“Trainspotter's Paradise”
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Auberge is almost opposite the exit of Waterloo Underground, with no views to speak of, but a convenient location for South Bank. There is a bar area downstairs and restaurant and terrace upstairs. We had reserved but this was unnecessary as there were many empty tables. I'd seen great reviews of this place and chose it for our wedding anniversary meal, though in fact it was not as 'special' as I'd hoped. The service was friendly and attentive. The food acceptable. We opted for outside seating as it was a hot evening, little knowing that the terrace is situated under the underground lines, providing a screaming, squealing roar every two minutes as a background to conversation. This was not mentioned on the website.
Overall it was at least a memorable experience-but lucky that we both have a good sense of humour!

Dear Reviewer

our location is unique with the trains running by us and many of our customers enjoy this. Thank you for your comments and we hope you will come again soon

Regards