“A ruined evening.” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5,701 of 22,225 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$20 - US$28
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Auberge Waterloo is ideally located opposite Waterloo StationIf it’s a traditional French gastro you’re looking for, Auberge Waterloo is the one. Directly opposite Waterloo tube station, this rustic venue promises to charm your guests from the moment they enter. Serving top quality, freshly prepared, French inspired food from midday until late seven days a week, Auberge Waterloo is conveniently located within a short walk of the South Bank and it's attractions including the London Eye, and Royal Festival Hall. The ground floor recalls a Belgian beer hall with assorted dark wood seating and twisted iron fixtures, perfect for gathering the troops after work. Meanwhile, upstairs in the candle lit restaurant, diners can expect attentive service and an extensive menu of classic French dishes.
“A ruined evening.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

Went for the first time last night (06/08/13) in a group of 4. Our starters were delivered and were very nice. However when our mains arrived (Magret de Canard x2, Salad Nicoise and Filet D’Agneau) we were horrified to discover that one of the dishes, Filet D’Agneau had mould on the Potato Dauphinoise. We called the waiter back who looked equally horrified and passed the plate to the Deputy Manager. She took the plate back to the kitchen and came back with the excuse that the chef has said it was ‘gorgonzola’ (?).

When the bill arrived there was no further offer to compensate us for the disruption, disgust, delay and blatant health danger. The diner who was served this dish also suffers from allergic respiratory problems and this could have proved very dangerous. I called the waiter back to point out that the mould had ruined all our appetites and the entire evening. The deputy manager then took 20% off the bill.

I find it truly disappointing and very insulting that they did not feel ashamed of serving food with such obvious bacteria on it, the deputy manager also tried to make a joke out of it. According to their website they serve ‘quality, freshly prepared’ food. This is obviously not the case. I am also very worried about the state of the kitchen and quality of the chef and will be informing the local Environmental Health Officer.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank CJONES3378
karen m, Guest Relations Manager at Auberge - Waterloo, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
Dear Reviewer

We apologise for any problems when recently dining with us . I am able to reassure you that the environmental health officer has inspected the premises this week after your contact and has awarded us a good 4 * rating. The EHO did not hi light any areas of concern to food safety.

We have a stringent and robust committment to food safety and we will continue to apply this to our business.

I understand that an apology was made to you on the evening by the team at the restaurant.

Regards

Paris, France
“Not fresh products - made my girlfriend sick”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

I went to this place with my girlfriend to get some mussels.

The room were the restaurant usually is was closed so we were seated in the ground floor room, were the bar is.

My girlfriend and i both ordered mussels (thai and à la provencale).
I was suspicious as soon as they arrived as they were not looking great and some small flies (food flies) were all around the place. Dumping all the "suspicious" mussels, I ended up eating about a third of the mussel I was served. The sauce (provencale) was tasteless.
My girlfriend was not so cautious and ate most of her mussels as the curry was covering the "non-freshness" of the mussels.
We went to this place on a very hot day and I would bet that the mussels were not properly stored in a cold area.

Frozen fries were undercooked and tasteless as well.

The waiter pretty much ignored me during the whole meal, speaking only ith my girlfriend.

This is supposed to be a french restaurant and there is for sure nothing french here (except a few posters), no even the music (hispanic).
Toilets are in very bad shape (door dented and barely closing).
Prices are expensive.

I would definitely recommand to avoid this restaurant. I ruined our stay in London as my girlfriend was sick all night and the next day.
If would give it a zero if I could.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
karen m, Guest Relations Manager at Auberge - Waterloo, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Dear Reviewer

Please be assured that our highly trained chefs store, prepare and cook all ingredients to the correct legal and company standard. I wish your partner all the very best but in the absence of laboratory tests any source of any contamination is assumption and not proven .

Regards

Karen
London England
“Good food but a bit pricey”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

The food was good but it is rather expensive when you realise that you have to pay close on £3 for a side dish to go with your main course.

Visited July 2013
Dear Customer

I am delighted that you enjoyed your meal and as we use the finest ingredients we are trying to offer all our customer value for money. I do hope that you will visit us again.

Kind Regards
“Surprisingly OK!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

I had been to this restaurant with three female friends along time ago, in winter as I recall. We sat upstairs inside and I remember having mussels and chips and generally having a good time.

This time I went with a male friend and so again we went upstairs (especially as downstairs was a bit dead and more like a standard pub than a restaurant). Being the end of a hot day we went out to the terrace where everyone was sitting to enjoy the atmosphere. The funny thing is, you are right by one of the main lines into Waterloo Station - it's about 20 feet away from you, so it's a bit noisy. What was surprising was that the atmosphere was still good. I don't know why - maybe the good weather, maybe the amount of alcohol we had drunk.

The food was OK - I had mussels with chips again. Only had one bad one - mercifully at the end of the meal. It was actually black but for some reason didn't smell bad. A bit of a mystery as to what it was really but I didn't get ill. (Again maybe due to all the alcohol). My friend's food was OK too - he had fish, sea bass I think. Not really enough to fill him up but tasty by all accounts.

The service was slow to start but the waiter made up for it by apologizing and being efficient and friendly from then on. There were only two waiters on duty and seemed to have organised themselves so that one covered inside and the other outside, regardless of the numbers in each.

So, I'd probably go there again but I'd probably have a good drink again first to make sure I was mellow enough not to get tetchy if things weren't quite right.

Ah, one other thing, we had a voucher for a free main meal. Would probably thought it expensive without it.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear Reviewer

thank you for returning to us and your positive comments - always check websites for ongoing discounts.

Kind Regards

Karen
“Just average.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013 via mobile

Even when it was pretty quite- food quality was moderate at best. Unless everywhere else is closed- try somewhere else.
Greek Salad was surprisingly dull.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your feedback which we have noted for our continued improvement.