“Good food and good value”
Review of HK Diner - CLOSED

HK Diner
Cuisines: Chinese, Street Food
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Soho
Reviewed 12 January 2014

A friendly welcome followed by very courteous and efficient service.

Food was really good - the high proportion of Chinese diners was a bit of a give away that this would be so.

Just what we fancied on our London trip and the HK delivered.

(Good thing I didn't read some of the other reviews - did they come to the same HK?)

There are newer reviews for HK Diner

Reviewed 10 January 2014

Ok , let's start by saying that you can't believe every thing you read ( or written by who! ) but I decided to ignore the last few reviews and give it a try. I was with my Family and a friend from Hong Kong who recognised the name from friends that have visited the uk so that was a good sign.
I ve been to Hong Kong on business and HK diner did have that local Hk feel about it.
We sat down promptly, got our pot of Chinese tea and order a mixture of rice dishes, crispy noodles and a really nice Chinese broccoli in ginger sauce( first time)I would recommend .
Our dinner was hot, and came quite quickly.
The Curly haired waiter was attentive, and did like a joke in his cockney chinese accent!!
it was busy, but not swamped so we had no waiting problems, obviously One cannot say otherwise.
All in all , very reasonable bill and good food that hits the spot. It's not a dressy place, but pre theater and if you're hungry and don't fancy pizza ( cheese and dough) but proper cooked food I would say I was happy. Would return on my next trip to London

1  Thank John J
Reviewed 20 November 2013

If I had the choice I would have given it a 0 star rating as they were not deserving of even a star rating. My friend and I decided to try out the food here as it was one of the few that was opened at 11am for lunch on a Monday morning.

First of all, this place had the worst customer service ever as they would not even smile or greet you upon entering the premise. They made it seem as though everything should be done by yourself. Needless to say that was the early sign of things to come which would irked me and made this an unpleasant meal in London on a gloomy Monday morning. The rice that I had was cold and oily and this was surprising as we were the only customer then. I guess I had a higher expectation of the quality of food since it was early in the day.

Finally the most unpleasant part occur when I asked for the bill. As I was leaving London for good that day, we took some time to pay the bill and began sorting out all the coins that we had as the pence would be useless once you leave UK. I thought we would some of the amount with the coins in hand which amount to maybe 5 pounds in total. Thats when the waitress came over to INFORM us in a not so pleasant look and harsher voice that they do not accept 5 pence. In a candid way I asked her if 5 pence was not money and she replied that thats the order from the management and it is not accepted. Being infuriated with her response in such a harsh tone from a candid question, i rebutted and said that I would gladly obliged if she had responded in a much nicer way and question her if in her opinion thats not the way to treat customers in that manner. In fact she had the audacity to respond that she did not think her response was inappropriate.

As I was furious, I asked why should I pay for the 10% discretionary charges after being treated in that manner. She said that it has to be added to the bill by the order of the management and that it was not a choice. But I am still baffled that the UK allowed the restaurant operators to add discretionary charges to the bill which do not take customer service into account. I would have been happier to pay for a tip if I am satisfied rather than feeling that I was robbed and forced to pay a tax term 'discretionary' which was not up to my discretion at all.

I guess I should stop with such a lengthy post. ANyway AVOID AVOID AVOID at all cost if you would like to maintain a pleasant day.

1  Thank yxljan
Reviewed 11 November 2013

The service is very poor, being very rude to customer. Food is okay, but I never go again because of that attitude . No pence , if you use pence they will very angry and say we not accept pence. Ask why? She say if you are customer you also don't want me to give you pence . Then we ask , can we not going to give service charge because of your attitude, she say no because that is a rule giving service charge.

Reviewed 21 September 2013

This place had good reviews on the Time Out website, but Tripadvisor users be warned. Waited 25 minutes after ordering for first food to arrive, greasy roast duck and dry pork which were both stone cold, sent them back and they came back hot, but another 25 minute wait for rice, veg and noodles, by which time meat was completely cold again. All saturated with monosodium glutamate. Waiting staff varied between indifferent to downright rude. After an argument in the street outside, did NOT pay 10% 'discretionary' service charge on a fairly hefty bill. First time I've posted a poor review, but this is a place to avoid!