“Fab French Bistro”

Ranked #552 of 22,564 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$23 - US$65
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, After-hours, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Covent Garden
Description: Across the street from the famous gentlemen's club with which it shares its name, Le Garrick is a convivial and well-established restaurant and bar with a classic menu of French cuisine. Spread over two floors, the ground floor dining room offers a window view of the bustle of Covent Garden outside, while the intimate basement with its candlelit alcoves fosters a more discreet atmosphere. A lively crowd of playgoers and theatre faces soak up the weekly live music.
Crawley, United Kingdom
“Fab French Bistro”
Reviewed 20 January 2014

If you love all things French then you will love this restaurant. Perfect steak cooked just how I like. The staff are friendly & knowledgeable about the products they serve you.
I do hope our waitress managed to get home to Bordeaux in time for Christmas in spite of the horrid weather conditions!

Visited December 2013

Mirfield, United Kingdom
“average”
Reviewed 19 January 2014

The setting is quite nice , service was very good but the food was not inspiring although it was well cooked and I did get a free liqueur at the end of it , may return to see if I caught it on a bad day

London
“A must if you like good food and value for money.”
Reviewed 17 January 2014

I’m always more than a little skeptical when it comes to on-line reviews, as I am a natural born cynic, but in the case of the Le Garrick I can assure readers that the great reviews are right on the money.

From the moment of phoning to book a table I was impressed, the heavily French accented voice that answered the phone was warm and friendly, as one might expect, but in this case had a sincerity in its welcome seldom encountered.

On arrival the sites, sounds and that glorious aroma transport you from the center of London to a typical café found anywhere in France (outside of Paris). The ground floor is quite compact and I was a little concerned it was going to be a bit claustrophobic as apposed to intimate. I couldn’t have been more wrong. The seating, although at first glance looks haphazard and crowded, has been well thought out with plenty of elbow and leg room with plenty of space to get past other dinners without causing interference.

The basement dining area is reached by spiral staircase, the staff (French of course) greeted my wife and I in a warm and welcoming manner that made us feel at ease and more like old friends returning for the umpteenth time rather than two new punters just in off the street. We were shown to a table in a little alcove, our coats taken, menus presented and tap water offered, not that five quid a bottle stuff but genuine straight from the tap London H2O.

The choice of wine was very helpfully negotiated and agreed upon between my wife and our waiter and a very fine choice it was indeed, a crisp dry white and the specials on the menu explained. I couldn’t make up my mind whether to have the French onion soup or the snails to start, in the end I had both starting with the soup a good healthy portion of the most delicious onion soup I’ve had in a long time. My wife chose the Moules Marinières, which although tasty where quite small and not the best she’d ever had. We shared the snails, which I have to say were the best I’ve had this side of the channel.

The wife’s stake was cooked to perfection as was my fresh whole trout and both were absolutely delicious.

Coffee and cognac to finish as we were both full and in need to make tracks for the theater.

All in all a very pleasant start to a very pleasant evening.

Oh and before leaving we were both treated to a pair snaps-like liquor on the house courtesy of Charles the owner our current new best friend.

Highly recommended can’t wait to go again.

1 Thank Loofa
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
“The reviews are spot on!”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

A wonderfully welcoming, convivial restaurant, right in the heart of Covent Garden that will not disappoint. Whilst the restaurant is compact, my wife and I had a lovely meal with highly attentive, but not intrusive service, wonderful French food, delicious wine, and all set in a unique candle lit environment.

Whilst not a dessert eater, the Cafe Gourmand was delicious - a smorgasboard of petit four style desserts served with a coffee and digestive. Enjoy!

1 Thank Crumbles_11
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The epitome of french cuisine & a great night out”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I first went to Le Garrick back in 2001 - I knew nothing - as soon as I walked and felt the warmth of the guys working spoke volumes to me, so I returned - again and again and again.

The last 12 years I have seen changes - management changes, staff churn, and menu re-inventions - but the place never suffers and goes from strength–to-strength. It is an inspiration to behold.

I can only but exude love for Le Garrick, and more importantly the guys who work there who have become my dear friends.

If you are looking for a decent meal (TICK); want somewhere in Covent Garden where you can sit and talk and hear yourself think (TICK); served and enjoy the incredible staff who have a personality and a sense of humour (TICK). An absolute credit to the owners - Dominika & Charless.

It is second to none, and I have no hesitation in recommending - actually it would be my first choice for any night out. Please do - go in, say hello and have a laugh - say Craig sent you from his TripAdvisor report, and they will look after you. My seat is the end one at the Bar - please keep it vacant at all times, for my imminent arrival.

Love, love, love - they have become my family and so much so we recently attended the owners wedding - where does that ever happen - it basically speaks volumes.

A must visit, I guarantee you will not be disappointed.

1 Thank cmcanham