“Poor. Definitely.”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: After-hours
Neighbourhood: Soho
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We (and by "we" I really mean "my aunt") were looking for some cheap place to eat in Chinatown on New Year's Eve. Yeah, I do already know that the the words "NYE", "cheap" and "restaurant" don't usually go hand in hand - especially in touristy areas like this - but go tell that to my uncles!

So, we found this... er... lovely place and, enticed by the "all you can eat" buffet offer, popped in. 12 £ each, up-front, in cash, no questions asked. Is this place run by the Triads or something? 'cause the interior doesn't help much, it's so '70s Tarantino would kill just to shoot a scene inside that restaurant. Anyhoo, back to the review... once at the (very narrow and dimly lit) table, I noticed a sticker that read something along the lines of "we reserve the right to charge you for any left-over you don't eat".

I can't help but wonder whether they were going to count every the crisp we left... and if so, were they going to recycle them? Alas, this question shall remain a mystery to everyone but the cook. The buffet itself was nothing exceptional - there was all the standard stuff you'd find in every Chinese restaurant - and wasn't that tasty. The duck (or was it chicken?) was cold and full of bones, the rest was just OK. But the service! While the young waiter and one of the older women were pleasant enough, one woman - once she reckoned we were nearly finished - immediately removed our plates and kept saying "bye-bye" a lot (my cousin counted no less than 16 times). All right, but if you really want ot kick us out, well... you'd better kick us out!

All in all the place wasn't that bad, but I wouldn't go back.

There are newer reviews for Kowloon

Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

My partner and I thought this place looked ok from the outside. When we got inside we. Were confronted with a member of staff who could barely speak English but we managed to work out that we had to pay £12 a head up front. He also said if we didn't eat any if the food on our plates that we would be charged extra. Alarm bells began to ring but we shrugged it off and went to sit down. A women came and took the money and then we were given plates and a fork and spoon no knife. The selection of food was small but we expected this as we saw the buffet from outside. However, nothing could prepare us for the taste. It was awful and cold. We felt very uncomfortable eating any of the food on our plates but we also had in mind that they would charge us if we didn't!! We ate as fast as we could and forced it down. To the guy who said he can't understand people moaning about the price and quality because it's only £12 - we regularly have cheaper Chinese buffet food which is a million times better. To add insult to injury, if you visit the toilet you get to see the dirty kitchen as the door is next to the entrance to the gents. If your thinking about eating here then bear that in mind!!! It looked filthy. avoid at all costs. We could not wait to leave.

2  Thank Ian8886
Reviewed 23 November 2013

This is the first time i have ever experienced food so bad that i have walked out of a restaurant. I really should have seen it coming when they demanded the money up front. The food was all cold and with no labels on the buffet it was actually difficult to work out what was what! They did give us back our money after we complained and made a bit of a scene. I would rather have gone to Burger king, at least that would have been warm! Avoid at all costs!

1  Thank Peggy05
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I decided to call hee last Sunday night as my other regular buffet Mr Wu's has closed down. They still have a Little Wu's around the corner but that is not as good. Yes, you pay up front here and get a free drink in the price but these buffets are all the same and it's to get you in, feed you and get you out. You get full up for around £12. I was on my own and just wanted something quick before meeting friends for drinks. I wouldn't go here on a date but then again I was always told that if Chinese people are eating in there, then it must be OK. Good selection of starters including excellent salad bar, and the usual popular main courses, no duck though and the beef in the black bean sauce was very tough, couldn't eat it. Only sponge for dessert but after 3 plates of food I was full. They only give you a fork and spoon, no knives which is strange. The curry is nice but no chicken in it, just big lumps of potato.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

I've been reading the reviews and I'm surprised to see so many bad reviews. I'm a British born Chinese and have bought the bread here for years. I cannot comment on the buffet here as I wouldn't eat at the restaurant here. My advice is stick to the baked goods here. On the left hand side you can see all the cakes. The char siu bau (pork buns), cocktail buns, egg custard tarts and pineapple buns (bun with sweet top crust) are really yummy here. It is one of the best bakeries in Chinatown here. If you buy less than 4 or 5 pieces you won't get your cakes in a box and it'll be in a plastic bag....but no big deal, that's what most bakeries in Chinatown would do. Hope this has been helpful.