“Left high but nearly not dry!!”
Review of Franco's

Franco's
Reserve with OpenTable
Franco's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,212 of 24,242 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$0 - US$40
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: St. James's
Cross street: St James's
Transit: Green Park, St James's & Piccadilly tube stations are all 5 minutes walk away.
Description: Opened in 1946 in Mayfair, Franco's restaurant has been one of London's most popular Italian establishments ever since. It continues to offer local gourmets a tranquil oasis away from the buzz of the city. Set at the St James���s end of Jermyn Street, Franco's is fantastically located for the galleries, private clubs and hotels of the area. And the pre-theatre and afternoon tea menus are a delight. The restaurant���s character evolves throughout the day from the early morning breakfasts to laid-back lunches and romantic candlelit dinners in the evening. The elegant 1940���s-inspired d��cor is bright and modern, with light wood, off-white walls and comfy upholstered dining chairs. Franco's sumptuous Mediterranean menu has been developed by Head Chef Paulo Parlanti and showcases fresh seasonal produce in traditional and modern Italian dishes. Popular dishes include the duck breast with Castelluccio lentils; ossobucco ravioli with veal jus; and the classic tiramisu. Service is flawless and the wine list is a winner too.
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I visited this restaurant for lunch on a Saturday. It was a treat for my office girls. I ordered a very nice bottle of Gavi di Gavi (80.00) which we quickly drank and then I ordered a second one. Our glasses were empty for some while so in the end I asked one of my girls to go and get the wine and pour it. At this point the Maitre'd arrived and took over, I said to him you are not looking after us very well. He apologised and said things would improve. He finally came over again and poured us some water, I asked him to pour some more wine, he very dourly replied I was just about to do it. He obviously took serious exception to being reminded to pour as the next time he came over he slopped the water into the glasses and nearly gave one of us a shower, so very unprofessional!! Being left without anything to drink whilst you are eating is really annoying. The restaurant was not busy so there was no excuse that they were looking after many more diners. I refused to pay the service charge and young waitress agreed with me that the service had fallen short. Had they been more prompt with the pouring we would have no doubt had another bottle, not only did they lose the service charge but they also lost a sale. On the plus side the food was nice.

1  Thank helen s
FrancosJermynStreet, General Manager at Franco's, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear HelenS
Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your recent visit to Franco’s.
Naturally we are really disappointed to read about your recent experience with us.
We continue and strive to deliver excellent customer service and quality of food and wine daily so I was surprised to read that the service you received appears to have fallen short on that particular day.
I will be looking into the members of staff that were working that day and doing my very best to ensure we don’t have an ’off day’ again.
I very much hope that this hasn't deterred you from dining with us again in the future and that we have the pleasure of making your next visit with us more memorable for the right reasons.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

I have had lunch before here at this busy upmarket Italian just off Piccadilly. I had expected better for dinner and was disappointed. The fried calamari was tender and tasty, my courgette flowers with ricotta was bland. The special was tournedos rossini. Very good meat and well prepared. Very small portion of spinach so the meal looked rather inadequate. The meal was GBP 212 for three with very expensive for what it was. We will not go back.

1  Thank JNWSuisse

Dear JNWSuisse
Thank you so much for taking the time to write your recent review on Tripadvisor.
I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the calamari and the tournedos Rossini, however have noted your comments on the dishes you mentioned.
We strive to deliver an incredibly high standard of service and quality of food at Franco’s and as such take all feedback seriously and will be passing on your comments to the chef.
We really hope that you return in the future and we can restore your faith in us.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Dined here several times, both lunch and breakfast. I have never been disappointed. Seems to be frequented by business professionals, so a little loud at times, but I kind of like this as it gives the place a real buzz. But not good if you're looking for somewhere to read a book or write while having a slow lunch. Sets on the street are good too, if you just want a coffee and watch the world go by. A little pricey, but this is London and no more pricey than similar quality and service restaurants.

1  Thank Sally E
FrancosJermynStreet, General Manager at Franco's, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Dear SallyE
Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Franco’s.
We’re so pleased that you enjoyed your last visit with us and appreciate the environment that we have created.
We understand that sometimes the noise levels are rather high at lunch service due to the volume of clients but was pleased that you appreciated the buzzing atmosphere this creates.
We feel that our prices are competitive and also reflect the good quality of the food and drinks that we provide.
We hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

We decided to celebrate our 30th Wedding Anniversary at Franco's as we were in London that day and had always enjoyed our previous visits. We had a delicious meal again, excellent wines, good service and were spoilt with some lovely petit four for our 30th Anniversary. We'll definitely be back and thank you to everyone for making it an enjoyable experience.

1  Thank Louise T

Dear Louise T
Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review on Tripadvisor.
We’re delighted to read how much you enjoyed your evening with us and that you were well looked after ensuring that your anniversary was a memorable and special occasion.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

This review is from my experience at Franco's in September 2009. (I had to click on a date, but as they don't go back far enough, I've put April 14) Not sure why it has taken me so long to post it, so apologies for that.

I found about Franco's whilst arranging a weekend in London with my girlfriend. Arranging the weekend whilst serving in Afghanistan with the Army was hard enough, but trying to arrange a perfect weekend in which I was going to propose to her made it really tough! I had a two week break from Afghan in which I needed to fit a weekend away into and found out about Franco's through a friend that I was serving with. I e-mailed Franco's to book a table and explain my circumstances and, as I had a lot planned, I wanted a table around 11pm and as 'private as possible'. We arrived at the restaurant and not only did we have a private table, we had the entire restaurant to ourselves. Now, I felt for the staff that night as it was late and we must have been the last people in so they much have been dying to get home, but if they were, they certainly didn't show it. The service was exceptional and after we had ordered a bottle of wine, I proposed (luckily she said yes) and we enjoyed one of the best meals that I have ever had. The food was exceptional and the staff were extremley friendly. I had to return to Afghan a few days later, but that evening was about as perfect as it could have been.

A big thank you and apology to the staff for working late that night. I can't praise the service or food enough. Certainly recommend and I will be going again.

Dear RichW
Thank you for your review Franco’s on Tripadvisor and even more so taking the time to post this five years after your visit.
It’s such a pleasure to read that you chose our restaurant for such a special and important evening and that everything went smoothly on the evening, including your proposal being accepted.
Please do come back and visit us soon.