“Best cookery course I've ever been on!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cactus Kitchens
Ranked #22 of 140 Classes & Workshops in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Michel Roux Jr Cookery School offers a range of one day cookery courses taught by celebrity chefs, including Michel Roux Jr as well as corporate and team building events.
London, United Kingdom
“Best cookery course I've ever been on!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2016

I was lucky enough to spend the day with two very talented chefs, Chris King & Toby Stuart. They performed great demonstrations of the menu which we were cooking and shared many useful tips with us along the way to use in day-to-day cooking. Both chefs were extremely approachable and hands-on throughout the course, and all the staff in the cookery school were so helpful and friendly.
We cooked a main of chicken fricassee and a starter of poached salmon and lentil salad, both dishes which I felt had multiple technical elements but also something which I would now feel is achievable in my own kitchen.
The dining area where we ate had a great homely environment and the staff were very knowledgable about the wines which had be chosen to compliment the dishes.
Would highly recommend a day here!

Visited September 2016
Rosie J, Guest Relations Manager at Cactus Kitchens, responded to this review, 7 October 2016
Hi Tom,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our cookery school - I will pass on your feedback to Chris and Toby.

Good luck with recreating the dishes in your own kitchen - please send your photos and let us know how you got on!

Best wishes,

Winchester, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Cooking the Roux Way”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2016 via mobile

This is the second course I've done this month - courtesy of my lovely husband buying me a gift voucher for my birthday ! I'm currently on the train home with a massive food baby from eating too much, and each course was paired with several glasses of wine !! The day started at 9.45 with coffee and pastries and then we set off in the kitchen. We did dessert first as the plums needed to infuse in the spice scented alcohol and the creme anglaise needed to infuse and chill. Then we prepped a squid each (don't like squid!) and made an aoloi then made a tempura batter and fried it. Guess what? Absolutely delicious ! Veal chop, fondant potato and jus was the main dish with with spiced plums, creme anglaise and floating islands to finish. Learnt so much ! EVERY SINGLE MEMBER OF STAFF is without doubt, wonderful. All cheerful, so helpful and chatting with lots of knowledge to impart and the tutor Chris King, was top class. Can't recommend the cookery school enough - no wonder they've just won an award. Thank you x

Visited September 2016
Rosie J, General Manager at Cactus Kitchens, responded to this review, 30 September 2016
Dear Jane,

Thank you so much for writing your review so promptly - on the train no less!

I read out your review to the team who are delighted to hear your feedback and very glad that you have changed your opinion on squid - we hope that you will cook it for your family and friends soon.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the school again.

Best wishes,
Cambridge, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Fantastic afternoon - thank you!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2016

I was very lucky to have been given a Knife Skills course by my lovely kids for my 50th birthday - and it was the best present they could have given me! Having reached 50 with 8 fingers and 2 thumbs just about still in place, I was still quite nervous and didn't really know what to expect.
However, from the minute I arrived, I was made to feel comfortable and very much welcomed.
Kate, Rosie, Harriet and Anna-Marie made a fantastic team of experts and, along with the supporting cast of quiet clearer-uppers, made sure we all enjoyed our afternoon, and we all left happy with bag of goodies - which included our delicious cheese & herb scones, with a tomato salsa.
And how exciting to have seen John Torode filming when I arrived, and to be given access to the Saturday Kitchen studio afterwards. An added bonus to my wonderful afternoon.
Thank you all so much - I can't wait to find another reason to visit for another lesson soon!

Visited September 2016
Rosie J, Guest Relations Manager at Cactus Kitchens, responded to this review, 26 September 2016
Hi Sarah,

Thank you so much for leaving such a lovely review. It's so nice to hear that you remember all of our names!

We hope that you find an excuse to come back very soon, we'd love to welcome you back to the school.

Many thanks,
Rosie
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“All-round fantastic day!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2016

what an amazing day spent at Cactus Kitchens. After being apprehensive about my own cookery skills in the morning I left the building feeling like Michel Roux Himself (perhaps not quite). We spent the day with Rachel Humphrey and Steve Groves and their patience and guidance, as well as that of the rest of the staff in the cookery school, makes you feel quite at ease. The dishes we cooked were not without their own challenges but I now feel confident to repeat them at home for friends and family.
All the members of the team were so friendly and professional and the setting was absolutely beautiful!
Good food, good wine and good company... what more could you ask for!

Visited September 2016
Rosie J, Guest Relations Manager at Cactus Kitchens, responded to this review, 19 September 2016
Hi Keely,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our cookery school. I will pass on your kind words to the rest of the team, including Rachel and Steve. We hope to see you again soon!
“fabulous day, excellent food and people”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2016

I had an amazing day learning how to make delicious dishes from chris king and toby stuart. The team were so welcoming and attentive the whole day which made for a relaxed and comfortable environment in which to both cook and eat. The instruction was clear and easy to follow, and the chefs and all the staff were always happy to help!
I would highly recommend to anyone!

Visited September 2016
Rosie J, Guest Relations Manager at Cactus Kitchens, responded to this review, 17 September 2016
I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your day at our cookery school. I will pass on this feedback to the team. We hope to see you again soon - happy cooking!