“Very good I'm sure, but not my kind of musical”
Review of Miss Saigon

Miss Saigon
Ranked #25 of 353 Concerts & Shows in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I have no doubt that Miss Saigon is a very good musical and that many people will love it, it's just that it isn't my kind of musical. Well what musical is my kind of musical you might ask - I enjoy the more modern musicals like Wicked, Billy Elliot, Matilda, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Shows that have that have dialogue in, that aren't singing from the very start to the very end, and shows that preferably have a few catchy songs in. They may be more simple in comparison to the big heavyweight musicals like Les Misérables, Phantom, and Miss Saigon, but that's what I enjoy. However, I am glad I saw Miss Saigon because the production was superb, and there were some great performances from the lead cast members, although I didn't enjoy the way Chris, Ellen or Thuy were played.
My wife however, absolutely loved the show from start to finish, as she did when she first saw it during its last run in the West End.

As for the theatre; it was a bit chaotic in the small foyer, with people queuing for the box office to collect tickets, other people just standing waiting for friends, and more people queueing at the bar. We eventually managed to make our way down to the stalls to find our seat. We paid £40 for our tickets and were seated in row U of the stalls, and we had a superb view of the stage. The seats were comfortable and had a decent amount of leg room (more than many theatres). It was also nice and cool in the theatre throughout the performance, I'll put this down to good air conditioning. During the interval, I purchased my customary small tub of ice cream. For £4 it is expensive, but it was quite nice. I only ordered 2 drinks (non-alcoholic) from the bar and they were reasonably priced - £1.50 for a bottle of lemonade, and £2.50 for a bottle of BottleGreen Elderflower. Overall, it was a good theatre experience.
Again, I'm sure many people will love this musical, it's just that it wasn't for me.

There are newer reviews for Miss Saigon

Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Probably the finest production in Musical Theatre that I have ever enjoyed either in London or New York. Simply magnificent

Reviewed 12 August 2014

If you want a phenomenal theatre experience, this is the place to be. Although the narrative emotionally breaks your heart with a sledgehammer, it's SO worth it. From the start to the finish, so much going on stage, with an absolutely incredible cast and incredible set! Not to mention the absolutely gorgeous music with a fantastic orchestra, being a musician (i'm not biased) the music is just the best thing about it along with the stage props, would never have thought such things could be used on stage like that! Incredible experience wherever you are sitting, throughly recommend.

1  Thank MitchGardner
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Excellent show, with good scene changes, excellent singing, a lovely performance. Theater has comfy seats, with good bars and helpful staff.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

An old classic revamped for 2014, this show is a true spectacle and features a very polished cast and production. The role of Kim played by Eva Nobelzeda is particularly impressive, as is the Engineer played by Jon Jon Briones who played the role decades ago. This theatre is huge and if you sit in the upper circle you are a long way away from the stage so I'd recommend the stalls every time. The theatre (Prince Edward) is also air conditioned and so is one of the coolest theatres in the summer which is a a nice plus too.