“Poor all round”

Cuisines: European
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: City of London
Description: Ideally located overlooking St Pauls Cathedral The Saint Bar and Restaurant is situated in the bustling Paternoster Square. The perfect spot for a relaxed lunch on our outside terrace or a more formal business lunch in the restaurant, as well as drinks in the busy bar after work. Featuring a large outside terrace, which is very popular in the summer months for al fresco dining, The Saint can cater for a range of parties or events and has a selection of areas available... or you can hire the whole bar for free.
London
“Poor all round”
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Went for a mid-week lunch with a friend that works nearby. The Saint is located pretty much in Paternoster Square but was empty when we sat down... that should have been the first sign.

The food was not great. I ordered the crayfish jamabalya - I struggled to find any crayfish in it. It seemed to be mostly rice and a nasty tasting sauce, with bits of cooked chicken. The chicken tasted like it had been thrown in after cooking rather than cooked in the jamalaya itself - it was dry and flavourless.

My friend had the beef tagine, which was bits of chewy beef floating in a murky and watery sauce. Not nice. The one good bit of the meal was the chunky chips... difficult to get them wrong I suppose!

The food came within five minutes of it being ordered which is pretty suggestive of it just being slopped out of a microwave.

They didn't have some of the beers advertised on the menu - why list it if you don't stock or serve it any more?

The service was rather overbearing. The waiter approached us and asked if we'd like to order food and drink before we had even sat down - I hadn't even taken my coat off or pulled my seat out! When we did order, he seemed to be struggling to understand us. Then when we wanted the bill, he was nowhere to be seen...

Two mains, a small glass of wine and a bottle of beer for the outrageous sum of £37! Though I could see St Paul's cathedral from my seat... maybe we paid for location?

Avoid The Saint - you can get better, freshly cooked food and decent drinks for a lot better value for money elsewhere round St Paul's.

• Visited September 2013

Redington Beach, Florida
“Wonderful”
Reviewed 1 August 2013 via mobile

We visited St Pauls Cathedral on a Thursday. Wanted lunch and found this gem.
I ordered the ploughmans Lunch which was great. 11.95 but it came with a Pork Pie
And Ham, alot of bread, 2 types of cheese and eggs.
Service was great, fast and could not ask for more.
Thankyou.

Visited August 2013
London, United Kingdom
“It could have been so much better”
Reviewed 5 June 2013

I met a friend here for a weekday late lunch. There were tables outside free on a Tuesday at 1.30pm, and in glorious weather, which perhaps says something... (If nothing else, that they don't take reservations for outside tables.) The welcome was warm, although the head waiter had a bit of an arrogant attitude and the service overall needs to sharpen up: two people came to take our drinks order (I suppose better than no one at all and no one asked if we were enjoying our meal). Oddly, they won't split bills between more than two credit cards, so be warned if you are a larger party!

The menu at lunch time ranges from snacks (like sandwiches) to light meals. My companion had a tasty crayfish salad (once she had taken out the unwanted addition of someone's stray hair...) and I had a tasty beef burger. Mine came with chips and they were rather soggy. Given this must be one of the restaurant's staples, I was a bit disappointed. The accompanying mayo was also a bit watery. The prices were reasonable for the city, and with outdoor seating that had great views of St Paul's. The salad was £11.25 and my burger £10.25.

My companion ordered a glass of merlot with her cheese plate. Rather naughtily, she was not asked what size of glass she wanted and we assumed that they must serve all their wines in extra large portions as other people also seemed to be drinking one third of a bottle each! But the menu does actually offer a choice £6 for 175ml or £8.25 for 250ml. So poor marks, The Saint, for encouraging alcoholism and for not giving diners a choice!

• Visited June 2013
Mahon, Spain
“Standard food offering, nothing special”
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Just off Paternoster Square an identikit pub/restaurant, with an identikit menu featuring all the old favourites, service efficient, food average.

• Visited May 2013
London
“Saintly Service”
Reviewed 24 August 2012

The Saint offered an Olympic special lunch for the two Sundays in which the London Olympic Marathon was run, as their restaurant terrace was immediately adjacent to the route, within Pasternoster Square and with views of St Paul's Cathedral

The pre-ordered menu provided a good choice catering for all tastes and the service was exceptional. The atmosphere of the Olympics was not lost, and we had a cordoned off area where only customers of The Saint could stand and cheer as the marathon runners went past.

The staff were attentivity but not intrusive and worked with each table to arrange for every guest's table to be accomodated with service of each course at a time that suited in between the various laps of the runners (they passed by 3 times), which enabled us to watch all the runners without worrying that food was left unattended or going cold.

Our group were so impressed with the service that we made a point of speaking with the Manager on duty to compliment our waitress, who was simply excellent.

The food was devine, the wine was delicious, the weather was great and the atmosphere electric. You would have to travel far to find a better way of spending a Sunday lunchtime...

• Visited August 2012