“Cut above the rest”

Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Notting Hill
Reviewed 22 August 2014

This isn't your ordinary neighbourhood Italian ristorante, it is definitely a cut above the rest and head and shoulders above anything in the locality. The entrance is modest in a small mews and you have to go up some stairs to a naturally bright cosy room. The menu is in Italian and the staff is efficient, enthusiastic and welcoming and translates everything for you. I have been going for some years and between my dining companions and I, we have tried nearly every item on the menu and there hasn't been one that we haven't liked. Special mention should go to the following dishes: grilled prawns on a bed of baby fennel, pasta with wild mushrooms (when in season) or with herbs and walnuts, pan fried calves' liver, frito misto and the flour-less chocolate cake but everything is very good. The prices are not cheap but it is worth every penny and thoroughly enjoyable.
The evening tends to be crowded and booked up so I personally prefer to go for lunch; the lunch and evening menus are identical. After you have eaten at this place, other Italian restaurants will seem very ordinary and pedestrian.

There are newer reviews for Assaggi

Reviewed 9 August 2014

This place is magic the food is amazing the service perfect ,you can't fault this place .I had not been for a while as I now live out of town but still great.
Same team ,same patter , I love this place they talk you through the menu
Every dish you want to have ..then leave them to select a wine ..
This is fine dining in your front room ,I feel like I am at a family gathering it's great .A real gem ...if you get the chance ...go to this place and enjoy ..

1  Thank Mike A
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Helpful and speedy service (menu is all in Italian so we needed it!). Good food if a touch pricey but well worth a visit if you are in the area. Restaurant was busy for a Tuesday evening which says all you need to know about its popularity and despite being knocked out of the world cup that day, the staff were all cheerful and helpful!

Reviewed 1 July 2014

We decided to try Assaggi on our wedding Anniversary. We made a booking about 1 month in advance since we heard that its very difficult to get a table even on a weekday.
We were amazed by how good the service was but also by the number of staff members. There must have been a waiter for each table. A very polite waitress explained each dish for us (!) since the menu was in Italian. She new every single detail about each dish and helped us choose 2 starters and 2 main dishes. Food arrived almost immediately and all dishes were nicely presented. We had the crab salad and the nettle gnocchi for starters and then the lamb chops and baked pasta dish for main. Everything was very tasty and perfectly cooked however we both thought that something was missing from each plate.

We paid around 90 pounds without having wine so it is a pricey restaurant. Based on the food and the price I would say that this restaurant is for special occasions only. However I was disappointed by the atmosphere since the place has a casual look which you often find in nice gastropubs. So the whole atmosphere did not match with our special occasion mood.

Great quality food but I would rather go to River Cafe than go back to Assaggi.

1  Thank Elina6484
Reviewed 19 June 2014

There are a number of schools of thought as to how best to learn a language.Not having the time to spend a month in Italy on an immersion course what better way can there be than dining out in a charming Italian restaurant.Having found the entrance, which by the way is under an arch to the side of the pub on the ground floor and climbed the stairs, one is immediately greeted in Italian and taken to one's table with a flourish.The dining room comprises a first floor room with large double hung sash windows wooden floors and has I would guess about 25-30 covers. I was taken by a business colleague who knows a thing or two about Italian food and wine. As always with good Italian food the best is unpretentious simple and well cooked. The food here being typical with aparagus as a starter and simple meat or fish dishes, both the turbot and sea bass being superbly cooked and presented. I would like to say what I had but as the whole menu was in Italian which I can't speak or read I am somwhat stuck.Our stylish slightly 'off the wall' female waiter, however, gave a good theatrical description of each dish and as other reviewers have mentioned it's worth going along for this.It was somewhat quiet on a Thursday lunchtime so if you want an out of the way restauarant serving excellent food with staff to match give it a try. It's not cheap but you might learn some Italian whilst you eat.