“Underwhelmed”
Review of Al Hamra

Al Hamra
Reserve with OpenTable
Al Hamra is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4,298 of 24,264 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Lebanese
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Mayfair
Reviewed 7 August 2012

In London for the Olympics. We arranged to meet with friends and came across Al Hamra though top table, can't remember what I searched for but something to do with vegetarian no doubt as my teenage daughter was with us. The location is OK but you can't eat a location! Lebanese food, my first experience, it was very similar to Turkish.We had a reasonable mixed starter with freshly made flatbread, however the dishes arrived at different times with 2 plates arriving 10 minutes after we finished the first dishes, this meant that everyone ate their bread and perhaps over ate not realising that more was to come. Main course, mine was lamb on top of a bowl of yoghurt with burnt pitta bread triangles around the side. We had 2 bottles of house white, 2 bottles of water, mixed starters and mains for 6, bill without service charge came to £248. Not worth it and very disappointed overall.

Reviewed 4 August 2012

This is a Lebanese restaurant with a Syrian Chef. I am originally from Turkey, so I know about the food I am talking about.
I have been there several times now. The food quality is fine. The starters are essentially good with a wide selection of salads especially if you are careful and know what you are ordering. Fried versions have to be avoided as they come soaking in oil and sloppy instead of being crispy (borek for instance). This is absolutely unacceptable especially for the prices they charge.
My main issue with this restaurant is the staff. They seat you wherever they see fit even when it is early like 6 pm and the restaurant is empty! When I enquired they did not even have a plausible excuse. Because I had friends with me I did not make a fuss but next time, if there is a next time, I will make a fuss if they seat me by the door again when the whole restaurant is empty.

1  Thank anidioteverywhere
Reviewed 27 July 2012

My husband remembered Al Hamra from a previous business trip, 15 years ago, and said the food was great. We went with our boys who never ate Lebanese food before. Got there 9:45 on a Tuesday evening and they crowbarred us in. The service was impeccable, one of my sons commented on it. The bread was fresh and delicious as was everything we ordered. I couldn't get over the boys trying everything we ordered because the food was so good. Never thought to see the Youngest Member eating yogurt dip and bourek and, oh, I can't spell it but its like ground lamb pizza (and they claim they don't like lamb every Easter, hah!) the eggplant dish under the vegetarian side of the menu was melt in your mouth good, the shish kebabs tender and flavorful, great mezze. The menu is so large it's numbered, and #50 I think it was, offered lamb's testicles, which amused rather than disgusted them. Who says travel isn't broadening! They even asked to go back before we left. Yes it's pricey but worth it. The patrons seemed to be mostly wearing business attire and quite a few elegant Muslim women with headscarves and dazzling jewelry. Great people watching.

Reviewed 26 July 2012

We were very well looked after by the well schooled staff and the food was excellent. I really recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed 5 July 2012

Group of five of us. Mixed starters in the middle - good selection, mixed platter of main courses - no deserts.
Went with restaurants recommendation of wine - excellent
Service was absolutely fine.
Bit pricey perhaps, but no real complaints.
Would use again.