“A taste of Japan in Mayfair”

Japanese Restaurant Miyama
Ranked #3,924 of 24,015 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Mayfair
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Welcome and Service:

Please note reservation is necessary. We were greeted at the door, relieved of outdoor coats and shown to our table. Courteous, gracious and welcoming. The young staff who served us were pleasant, helpful, attentive but unintrusive. I particularly enjoyed the saki 'serving 'ceremony' ......

Decor:

Minimalist and very clean. Wall decorations of different materials mounted and framed. Most tables seat four. Tables are well-spaced and yet most conversations from nearby tables were audible.

Dining experience:

There is an impressive menu offering cold appetizers (£3.20 - 9.00), salads ( £4.20 - !10.50), hot appetizers (£3.90 - £18.00), tempura (£5.50 - £10.00), shushi, (£14.00 - £25.00), sashimi ( £18.00 - £42.00), rolls, main courses (from £13.00), soups (£3.00 - £4.00), rice and noodles. The restaurant also offers a five course menu at £38.00 per person.

Our dining experience was varied and perhaps it is because we had too many appetizers which did not necessarily go together to leave a memorable palette experience.

The saki was served ceremoniously as was the soup (dobin mishu) which arrived in a dinky teapot and a little bowl. Very light soup with a soupcon of chicken, prawns and mushrooms - tasty and most warming on a bitterly cold November evening.

Appetizers that followed included: carpaccio of octopus served with seaweed and cucumber ( bland and chewy), grilled aubergine topped with soya bean paste (delicious), pan fried dumplings (sparse with the filling), buttered scallops and asparagus ( memorable), deep fried oysters, mixed tempura (most bland), shushi (a treat!), rice in plum sauce (an acquired taste? somewhate lemony and fishy). Main course failed to impress. The deep fried escalope was chewy and bland, the grilled sea bass in teriyaki sauce was equally dull. However, the deep fried crab was more enjoyable - succulent and served with a good sauce. The mixed fruit plate for dessert was a welcome.

All the dishes are well-presented and there is ample choice for vegetarians. Portions are fair.

The restaurant is wheel chair friendly. However, the bathrooms are on the lower level (staircase).

Reviewed 24 November 2013

One of the best sushi's I've had in London. Good value for money as well. I've been here several times with folks from work and my other half. Will be back again soon.

1  Thank AnandhaP
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I had dinner at Miyama with my father and we absolutely loved it. The food was excellent, the quality of the sushi was superb, the personnel were very attentive and it was all in all a great experience.

Reviewed 12 October 2013

I have had better quality of food and sushi elsewhere in London, but considering the location and the price it is fairly good and pleasant. The decoration is not as upbeat as other Mayfair restaurant. The service is good and the food quality is also good, but not something will blow you away. Overall a quite pleasant Saturday night out with my wife.

Reviewed 1 August 2013

I've been going to Miyama for many years now and a trip to London isn't complete without a visit to Miyama for me. I love the food, which has always been of excellent quality. I usually go on my own and the staff have always been friendly and attentive. If you are a martini fan, do try their saki martini.