“Olde England charm.”

Price range: US$0 - US$36
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Covent Garden
Description: Established by Thomas Rule in 1798, Rules is a Covent Garden institution and the oldest restaurant in London. Tuxedoed waiters glide around the formal interior, decorated with antique sketches, where plush banquettes offer a discreet retreat from the main dining room. The whole-hearted menu of traditional British food specialises in classic game cookery, oysters, pies and puddings, featuring game birds, roe deer and Belted Galloway beef fresh from the establishment's own High Pennines estate. The wine list is a French-led affair, or there are native draught beers served in silver tankards.
Reviewed 31 March 2019

A central bar makes for an old-fashioned pub feel, as comfortable to slip into as a pair of treasured slippers. I was expecting something like London's other long-established restaurant, Wiltons, but find Rules somewhat less formal. That's not to say the service here isn't all you would wish or the food below par. The Sunday lunch of roast beef was most enjoyable as was my friend's steak and kidney pie. I would say overall the offering is not as polished as Wiltons but the ambiance is more relaxed and I expect to return many times so Rules gets 5 stars from me.

2  Thank jawildman
Write a reviewReviews (4,641)

Reviewed 31 March 2019 via mobile

My boyfriend has wanted to come to Rules for a number of years now and finally we were able to go.
We started with a pre dinner cocktail in the rooftop garden, the cocktails were perfect.
We then went downstairs for dinner. He order the oysters and I tried one of his, they were fresh and tasted pleasant.

I then ordered the Venison and I have to say this meal was incredible full of flavour and beautifully presented.
My boyfriend had the steak and kidney suet, which he really enjoyed.

Our waiter Uger was most helpful and attentive.

We will be back again I'm sure!

Date of visit: January 2019
Reviewed 30 March 2019 via mobile

When I worked in the Charing Cross area during the nineties and early naughties this was a regular haunt for business lunch’s. When catching up with four ex-colleagues a few days ago, we were all delighted to see that the food and ambiance of the restaurant hadn’t changed. The menu is traditional English cuisine and the service is unobtrusive and very efficient. The steak and kidney pie is excellent whilst the rib of beef is cooked to perfection. The English cheese selection and Stilton is a great way to finish off a meal. The wine list is very good and it’s easy to find a wine to complement any of the dishes.

Reviewed 30 March 2019

Rules is one of the oldest, if not THE oldest, restaurants in London. They offer classi British food including excellent roast beef and Yorkshire pudding. They have private function rooms upstairs which you can book for special events and they will work with you on Menus etc.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed 28 March 2019

This is just a friendly warning that even at 5.30 pm on a Friday evening, we were turned away as no advanced booking - we should have done I know. Best offered was 10.15 p.m. after we had been to theatre. I had heard how good Rules was and hoped to find out but was disappointed on this occasion. Used to be the case that restaurants had a certain number of tables set aside for "walk-ins" but maybe you need to be a "celeb" to get those tables!

3  Thank Stuart786