“Average food and an uninterested waitress”
Review of Hook

Hook
Ranked #997 of 24,329 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Camden
Description: Variety of fish 'n' chips and gourmet dipping sauces in a simple, hip space with communal tables.
Reviewed 4 August 2016

The atmosphere was dead, and the welcome was really cold. The waitress threw our menus at us and then disappeared without saying anything to us. We were eventually served by someone else who was really helpful.
Had the Ethiopian flavoured fish, which came out dry and the chips tasted like they had been sitting around for a while, which in a normal fish and chip shop would be ok but when you're paying for the premium experience its not great.
Waited around for ages after the bill came for someone to take our payment and had to eventually ask to pay the bill and didn't even get a thank you at the end.
Really disappointing experience all in all.

Date of visit: August 2016
Write a reviewReviews (669)

Reviewed 4 August 2016

As a resident of Camden i saw the restaurant advertised on a TV programme named 'dive diners and drive ins' and couldn't wait to try the restaurant out. Unfortunately it was a huge disappointment from the moody waitress throwing the menu on the table to the re-heated fish and chips. Definitely a tourist trap and one to avoid. For friendly service and fresh fish and chips go to poppies.

Reviewed 3 August 2016

The spirit of London can be felt at Hook. Coming from Canada, it had the charm I was looking for, and will be a memorable sparkle on what was a fantastic trip. This is an absolute staple for tourists and locals alike.

The service brought a smile to my face. It is not easy to find people that make you feel like family, but you'll find that here. As a tourist, you'll be shown the truest of hospitality London has to offer. As a local, you'll be brought back to a simpler time - of friendly smiles and a relaxing atmosphere. I will not soon forget the experience.

Service left alone, the food is still making my mouth water from nearly 4000 miles away. The calamari hot rings and fish & chips especially. You need to try Hook, it is unlike anything I have tasted in my life!

Thank you Hook for making me feel like a local, and giving me an experience which I will never forget.

1  Thank Maia S
Reviewed 31 July 2016

My experience in the U.S. is that it's very difficult for one restaurant to distinguish its fried fish from another. I've had fried fish at a local bar in Pittsburgh that tastes just as good as fried fish from a seafood restaurant at the beach. That is why I spent a good deal of time researching fish and chips places in the U.K. ("when in Rome", right?), and why I selected Hook based upon a number of reviews (both from diners and restaurant critics) which asserted that their fried fish was a cut above. Granted, some of the seasonings used on our panko-based versions were a bit unique, but at the end of the day, I left thinking that fried fish and chips is fried fish and chips, no matter if served at a bar in Pittsburgh or in Merry Ol' England. Now, I will state that one of the things that did distinguish this restaurant were the very flavorful dipping sauces that were available. We sprang for the 3 pounds that gave us a 6-dip selection, and each one was very creative and flavorful. The dips actually made the fish stand out, in my opinion. Would recommend if you are in the area, but I wouldn't necessarily make a special trip. My guess is that you can pop into just about any pub near your hotel and you will find something substantially similar (minus the dipping sauces).

Date of visit: July 2016
Reviewed 30 July 2016 via mobile

Tasteless fish..the bill was wrong (overestimated) but the girl at the till was unable to reopen the account to fix it...

Date of visit: July 2016