“Great food, rude staff”

Ranked #997 of 24,329 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Camden
Description: Variety of fish 'n' chips and gourmet dipping sauces in a simple, hip space with communal tables.
Reviewed 11 September 2016

I ordered the Classic and it was the best fish and chips I've ever had. The tartar sauce was just perfect and also fish cooking. The one thing it threw me off was the attitude towards the customer (gentleman was fine especially lady). The lady was quite angry at me because I couldn't finish the food.... because I was so full. Great food, but rude staff members in the restaurant.

Date of visit: September 2016
2  Thank Ji Hun J
Write a reviewReviews (669)

Reviewed 3 September 2016

The fish has a bread coating and is expertly fried. The fries are highly seasoned and a bit on the oily side, but overall tasty. The real star for me was the spicy squid ink sauce that is made in-house. This intensely flavoured sauce hits all the happy umami notes with a kick of spice and is addictive, definitely request it !

Reviewed 29 August 2016

I was disappointed not to be able to choose the coating for my cod. It was set and they didn't want to do mix & match.

The portion was on the samll side and the fish made the chips soggy. Chips were too salty and greasy - they really needed to improve on this. Cod was thin and not substanatial. I don't think they offer a good value.

Date of visit: July 2016
1  Thank CM K
Reviewed 23 August 2016 via mobile

I have been coming here since it opened. I am always amazed how each time I come the food is perfect! Last week I had the classic panko (my favourite) and the fish was juicy, perfectly cooked inside and crunchy on the outside - delicious.

The only reason I am not giving this an excellent is because they have stopped doing my favourite sauce (basil and chilli). Once this sauce is back on the menu it will be an excellent!

Highly recommend Hook, surprised to see 'bad' reviews about it, the menu and concept are simple but they excel at what they do.

Reviewed 23 August 2016

I visited Hook on a recommendation from my brother who had seen it on TV out in Sydney. Generally my brother has a good eye for food, so I excitedly rushed down there with my girlfriend.
We were greeted by the staff who were in fairness, very friendly.
Then we looked at the menu that was overpriced but looked interesting and I thought it would be best to try their standard fish and chips with mushy peas. My girlfriend ordered the same plus a can of fair trade coke.
Everything smelt nice and we were quite excited.
The food arrived so let's go through what we were served.
A soggy piece of fish that was meant to be in panko breadcrumbs... a style which is meant to be crunchy and light. The fish did not taste fresh and was not particularly pleasant.
The chips were a terrible attempt at creating a new version of the traditional thick cut chips from a normal chippy. They were greasy and as they cooled became this mass of goo.
The can of fair trade coke my girlfriend ordered came... it was £2.50 for 250ml! On top of that it tasted awful.
Now onto the worst bit of it all. The mushy peas. They just blended (yes blended) a bunch of garden peas and added some mint. It was absolutely foul. Easily the worst spin on mushy peas I have ever seen. Mushy peas are a delightful comfort food. This was what I imagine sick to taste like if I had only eaten peas and just brushed my teeth.
The only saving grace was the tartar sauce was nice.

Overall, I would say save yourself some money and go to a proper fish and chippy.

3  Thank Joe D