“Too much nouvelle cuisine and not worth the money”
Review of Chez Bruce

Chez Bruce
Reserve with OpenTable
Chez Bruce is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #65 of 23,357 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 16 June 2012

First of all I must put the review in the context of what I like and previous experiences
- I have eaten in 5 other Michelin starred restaurants in London and Surrey and in 4 of these I was happy with quality and value
- I am a 61 year old with a 33 inch waist and therefore am not someone whose idea of a good meal is a 12oz steak with chips and French fried onions piled high.

Therefore we found Chez Bruce a big disappointment. Maybe surprising as we very much enjoyed its sister restaurant, La Trompette. The flavours were generally good but the portions were woefully inadequate. A few random observations are
- they should not be filling us up with bread and truffles to compensate for the inadequacies of the each of the 3 courses; this is nutritional bad practice apart from anything else
- the portions of protein in our main courses should have been at least trebled; I got about an ounce of lamb and my wife's seabream was 2-3 ounces
- my desert could be a Guiness Book of records challenger for the world's smallest chocolate fondant (while normally I skip or have a light desert, I felt the need to go for as much bulk as possible).

Therefore did I get value for my £156 (we went for one of the cheapest wines)? Definitely not. The head chef may be pleasing management by keeping his ratio of food cost to turnover down, but this deserves to be a short sighted policy which will ultimately lose customers. For the same money we could have had 5 or 6 Indian meals in Joy in Surbiton and would have had more intense and complex flavours and proper portions of meat and vegetables.

The service was no more than ok, we had to wait far too long for the wine. As for the dining room, we were upstairs and hard wooden chairs are not what you expect for this price. Also my wife had to ask for a heater as the air conditioning was on despite it being a little chilly outside.

12  Thank grumpyoldulsterman

Reviewed 16 June 2012

Every course was a treat to both the eye and palate. Service was unobtrusive and the bottles of Beaujolais went down like nectar. Very good value for this standard of cooking.

1  Thank eddie51
Reviewed 11 June 2012

Great service and excellent menu. I highly recommend this hidden gem to those who haven't explored the sw London restaurants.

2  Thank Fillipe05
Reviewed 11 June 2012

Been here twice with my girl friend, the quality of the food is amazing while the service is equally good but could have been more friendly. We had grilled quail and Clam chowder for appetizer they were beautiful! and for main I had the Côte de boeuf and my girl friend had the sea bream. we really enjoyed our evening and I definitely recommend this restaurant if you are looking for top notch dinner around Wandsworth.

3  Thank FranKoDoha
Reviewed 8 June 2012

menu had all you could want , cooked to perfection . wine on the pricy side though . service first rate.

1  Thank mike n